The GILM Awards Favorite Chillout Game (Presented By Haypoint)

I’ll second Everything.

It’s a great watch, and it has genuinely interesting philosophical VO (yesthisismesubtweetingthewitnessgoaway).

I came to this thread to nom Slime Rancher, but it’s getting some dues already.

2 Likes

Dota 2’s Turbo Mode has been a pretty good one for me, even though I’ve only played a couple of rounds of it due to my current PC placement situation. I definitely see myself playing a lot of that in the future while listening to podcasts and trying out new builds, or just trying to learn new heroes and not trying to focus as much as I would in a normal match, or just doing something while trying to learn attack animations.

Probably a niche answer, but I thought it was a neat one/some others might feel the same way (Turbo mode came out in the last major patch last Halloween)

There were a few games of the 3ds this year that were very chill. Pokémon Moon’s whole theme was vacation this time, and it mostly felt like a relaxing stroll around some islands, caching pokémon at your own pace. Miitopia definately felt like it was more about being fun and weird than challenging, which I appreciated. Think i’ll go with Miitopia, because it had moments like his:
A2BDB6E9-D8D0-49BA-8F87-275C825B96EF
It was the perfect game to play while you were watching tv or trying to sleep or whatever.

Heat Signature - Once you get a good handle on the basic mechanics and your preferred load out, it’s just a matter of getting the layout and executing in one smooth flow. Losing isn’t even that big of a deal, you get back up to speed real fast and just go about more space hijacks.

Heat Signature has this pleasantly predictable rhythm to its core gameplay loop: find appropriate mission, fly through space, dock, get your job done as quickly as possible, leave, continue. Even though it can be hard I still found it kinda relaxing in a weird way.

1 Like

Nomination: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Well, it came down to this. I’m not finished with the game yet, but Breath has kept me staying up past my bedtime and unwinding on a casual Saturday for the last few weeks. The game took a little while to find its groove with me (as Splatoon 2, Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and Stardew Valley all took its time), but none of them could match Breath for relaxation. One isn’t eligible (Stardew) and Splatoon 2, particularly as I reached S-rank play, became more frustrating than fun.

It could have been Mario & Rabbids. This is the Riendeau argument that I definitely considered, but it just can’t be for me. As the game progressed, stages grow sprawling, huge, and filled with oft-unclear hazards and slow progress. I’m still not finished with the third world and really don’t know if I’ll wrap the game up by the time I’m done.

Breath’s beauty in a chillout game is in a real mastery of scale. Every time I play, I can set myself a small, medium, or big goal and set about solving it, whether I’m just going to look at that one weird rock circle, start hunting down the next shrine to add to my collection, or whether I cast my eyes onto an unknown part of the map for that elusive tower. Each of those is rewarding unto itself. Even when I root around for a shrine that I can’t quite grasp, the sheer density of things in the world make it hard not to find something that you could call ‘progress’. I can always rest easily after playing Breath.

My non-chillout moments are so few and far between with it (I did kick Eventide Isle’s ass eventually) that I can’t fault it. The music choices are also intensely relaxing, which is a strength of the sparseness and tactical deployment of themes/note hints when necessary.

9 Likes

Seconding Planet Coaster. The building tools are robust enough that I can spend an hour working on one building, chilling out and listening to a podcast, or even better, area music from Disneyland.

Edit: Just realized this was a late 2016 game. It was in early access for a while, which had me confused.

1 Like

It’s going to be Steamworld: Dig 2 for me.

Digging felt so relaxing, even if the game was a bit short. It was a pleasure to explore the mines and routinely bring the ore found in them back to the surface.

It was the best platformer for me this year, and even better way to spend time relaxing.

This is what I use the Etrian Odyssey series for. Once you become comfortable with the combat encounters, you can just sort of zone out and slowly and methodically explore.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth

1 Like

Golf Story I really enjoyed the humor and the deeper than expected challenge. It was also what I used to unwind during a particularly challenging period of this year.

Assassin’s Creed Origins

I love this beautiful recreation of ancient Egypt, and I love seeing the ways in which Bayek interacts with the people. He manages to be genuine and cheerful, and always willing to help others. Its nice to get lost in the cities and the deserts and have some low stress fun taking out the encampments.

1 Like

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild!! Even playing Animal Crossing I’ve never been more chilled out than I am when I’m exploring and just admiring the wilderness in BoTW.

1 Like

Hey, Waypointeers! There’s only seven more days left on nominations! The mod team are gearing up for Phase 2 of The GILM Awards, so we can let y’all decide what the Waypoint Community felt were their favourite works of 2017. We know a few people are wrestling about their nominations, so this is just a reminder to get yours in before the deadline hits — we’re not taking late submissions!

On that note, there’s a few items that have only been nominated once so far. If you feel strongly about any of these making it to our final poll, they need a second nomination before Phase 1 closes.

• Superflight
  • Wiz Khalifa’s Weed Farm
  • Miitopia
  • Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  • Golf Story
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris

I’ll second Love Nikki: Dress UP Queen. There’s something relaxing about creating a beautiful, fantasy armor set with coordinating accessories and background.

Or creating a pure fashion disaster to win the round.

I’ll second Steamworld Dig 2

1 Like

Not really a nomination, but here are some wonderful games: https://itch.io/jam/self-care-jam-2

actually I’ll nominate Chasing Birds because I’ve never been more excited to see a red ball in my entire life

2 Likes

Super Mario Odyssey

Moving around and exploring the worlds is so pleasant, and for the most part the difficulty is so light, that I find my play time in Mario to be extremely relaxing. The sheer number and density of moons in the game also ensures that I can hop in for a short time and know that I’ll still be able to find a few. Plus, any game on the Switch has an inherent +5 to chillout, since I can play it while lazing around anywhere in my house.

Steamworld Dig 2
I’ll third this.

I’ll second the nomination for Cat Quest. It’s a great game to zone out to while you run around the world map stomping enemies and leveling up.

Puyo Puyo Tetris

This is my way of mostly just nominating Tetris. Tetris has been my chillout game for years and it’s no different in Puyo Puyo Tetris. I can sit for hours and hours and feel completely relaxed and content with the world. I’m to the point with Tetris where there’s no stress involved and my fingers are moving and rotating blocks before I feel like my brain even notices. Puyo Puyo on the other hand… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes