The Great D&D/Roleplaying Games Introduction Thread

I grew up always wanting to play D&D – my dad played, and I used to spend hours going through his Monster Manual and the maps he drew for his campaign, but throughout middle and high school I was kind of a loser (I mean, seriously, the kids who played Magic the Gathering at lunch time wouldn’t hang out with me) and had nobody to play it with.

Went to university, grew into a much cooler and more confident person and fell in with a great group of friends. My new best friend informed me that he was starting a 3.5 campaign and that I would be playing, and I’ve been hooked ever since. That was seven years ago, and the campaign is still running (with a few year-long breaks in there due to grown-up schedules, and we’ve switched to Pathfinder), and I recently started DMing my first campaign (D&D 5e) on Roll20.

2 Likes

Some versions of FATE are definitely games I’d suggest for beginners. The system eases you into roleplaying by giving you incentives to your characters bad aspects being driving forces during the game. The character creation also tends to make you think about your characters personality, his relation to the world, his past and things like that which is also good for beginners. The stunts are also a good way to give inspiration.

So, FATE.

Don’t Rest Your Head sounds Persona as heck, I’ll definitely look into it!

I like PbtA systems generally, but I don’t know that many of them, so I’ll definitely look that up!

If you’re after Persona-y stuff, Breakfast Cult is a) a top tier pun name and b) literally a cosmic horror anime high school RPG.

2 Likes

Oh this also looks Very Good.

PbP summed up my total early experience of roleplaying, specifically World of Darkness games on Nocturnis.net. Totally feasible way to play, though I think Roll20 or some kind of Google Hangout make for a better experience.

I honestly don’t know how I got into it, but I remember getting a 3.0 D&D book at a Walden Books on vacation and reading it for the rest of the trip. I know I then got some 2nd Ed books in a bundle off of ebay, must have been 11 or 12 at the time. I didn’t have anyone to play with, so I just made a bunch of characters and some dungeons. At some point, I got deep into World of Darkness, and the internet helped me find a group to play with in PbP games of Exalted, Mage, and a giant mess of a cross splat WoD game. Good memories

I’m currently playing in a 5E D&D game that I really don’t enjoy. I think we are up to 8 PCs with very different ideas about what they want to do, and one who is always “just playing my character” every time he back stabs the party. I really need to find an online game.

Speaking of cool RPGs, Changeling 20th dropped today for those who backed the kickstarter. I’m really looking forward to reading it in depth this weekend!

I had an embarassing Lovecraft phase when I was a teenager, as did a few guys from the football team. We were all together in a maths class with a teacher who just didn’t care what we did, as long as we passed our tests, and so we shoved our desks together, huddled in a corner, and played Call of Cthulhu in 40 minute sessions, every morning at 7 A.M., five days a week. It was an odd way to start roleplaying, but we kept it up for the whole year and it was a lot of fun.

Since then, I’ve played a lot of Pathfinder and D&D, mostly 5th edition. I’ve read a lot of manuals for other systems and games, but none of my play groups are much into experimenting with things we don’t all already know. I’d kill for a few people to try Eclipse Phase with, though.

2 Likes

Paizo’s releasing Starfinder, which is basically SF Pathfinder, in August but you’re not wrong about Pathfinder historically being pretty mechanics heavy. My understanding is that it’s basically D&D 3.5 for munchkins. Which is fine if you’re into that, but I think a lot of people would be better off being introduced to RPGs through something like Dungeon World, especially if all the number-crunching is a turn-off.

1 Like

I was introduced to an early edition of the Monster Manual in elementary school when a friend brought it in one time. I didn’t actually get to play until high school though. After playing a lot of DnD I got kind of fed up with the types of games it led to (which was at least partially the groups fault) and ended up playing some stuff like Dogs in the Vineyard and Magical Burst (and eventually a hack/mash up of the two) over IRC with some friends.

Sadly, those games kind of died off due to a lack of time and difficulty keeping everyone interested through IRC only for the few hours it would take to run even a small session. I’ve been getting my fix for tabletop through FatT recently, but really it just makes me want to run a game even more.

Yes, Starfinder. I couldn’t remember the name of it but I remember reading about it.

Let’s see, I started playing D&D a few months before 3rd edition came out. Played a lot of 3.5 and 4th in college and a few years after, but that sort of petered out when I moved across the country. I was always happy to DM if nobody else wanted to, but I greatly prefer being a player. It’s kind of odd. I’d usually play female characters, and just shrug off anyone who questioned it. After all, how is that any stranger than playing as an elf, or a paladin? It’s not like I’m either of those. But, uh, maybe it was indicative of something, because as it turned out I’m trans. And, um, being able step into my character’s persona for a few hours a week is such a relief that I’m not sure how to describe it

Uh, anyway, now I’m in a couple of semi-regular long-distance FATE games with some college friends. Love FATE, but I miss having specific moves and spells.

I’ve been playing a FATECORE campaign lately. It’s very good if you care more about the “role playing” part than the “game” part.

The downside was I wanted to play a healer, so the GM and I had to kind of jerry-rig a way to do that since, as mentioned above, the system doesn’t really have things like spells in it.

I’m an old. My mom bought the family the old D&D starter box and some minis, then we spent a long time struggling to comprehend the rules before giving up on it. The idea of the thing still fascinated me, though, and my first real RPG play experience was the old TSR Marvel Super Heroes RPG. I was pretty much a lost cause after that.
I’ve played or run or at least read too many systems to list in the time since then, and while I fell out of gaming for a decade during some Dark Times ™ I got back into some years back and have been really loving virtual table tops and the pals I’ve made online through rpgs.

Right now I think I’m having a kind of Middle Age Crisis gaming thing going on, since everything I’m running or playing is either a throwback in setting (Star Warps) or mechanics (Spycraft 2.0) or both (Torg, for christ’s sake). Be patient with my oldness.

I run a game every week or two, and play a game or two every week. So far all of that is based around 5e, but my friends and I might play a game of microscope soon. I’ve definitely moved towards de-emphasizing combat in my campaigns and it’s great to see my group try to come up with solutions to problems that don’t involve hitting things over the head (though that still happens a good amount).

I’m pretty new to tabletop: I’ve only been playing for about a year now, and only one system (Pathfinder, because it was in a Humble Bundle). I’m enjoying Pathfinder (despite some very large problems in its campaign setting, especially in regards to race), but I am also very much looking forward to a day when I can play something Powered by the Apocalypse or similarly storytelling-oriented.

On the note of different systems, would anyone have a suggestion for a simple one I could maybe run as a one-off for my parents? Preferably something with not a huge amount of magic or over the top absurdity, but just something where they could understand what I’m doing and at least a little of why I enjoy it. My mom’s understanding is “oh, I saw them playing Dungeons & Dragons on the Big Bang Theory” and with the way she described it I kind of want her to understand that it’s not… that.

If you are looking for more bundles, check out Bundle of Holding. The website does awesome bundles of RPGs. They are more pricey than HumbleBundle, but they also go much deeper.

Right now, they have Vampire 20th Edition, which I really enjoy. They also have East Texas, which is a Savage Worlds setting that mixes Cthulhu and Texas Football. I’ve heard some good things about it. Also running is 13th Age, which I know nothing about beyond the blurb on the site. I guess it is from some of the folks that made D&D 3rd edition, and it has more story focused rules than D&D. No idea! It is one of the pricier bundles.

Continuing, does anyone want to start some kind of Waypoint game on Roll20? I don’t know that my schedule will allow it, but I think it would be great to see folks on the site come together to play RPGs.

1 Like

I would absolutely be interested in playing a Roll20 game with waypoint people!

1 Like

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with players who are struggling? I play in a group occasionally, but there’s this one guy who plays Dungeon World like it’s Skyrim. He plays as a Thief, and whenever we encounter a character he asks:

Rogue: "Do they have anything I can steal?"
GM: "You don’t notice anything of particular wor-
Rogue: “I pick his pocket roll for sneak. Haha”

He does this for almost EVERY encounter and it’s really ridiculous. I can understand character personalities to a point but it really breaks up the flow of gameplay. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Those kind of problem players are really tough to deal with without coming off as a jerk. The first thing I would suggest is pretty much a blanket suggestion I give for everything: communication. Take him aside and explain to him why that is not a good way to play the game. The best approach is usually to dive into character motivation. Something like “I noticed your character tries to pickpocket everyone they meet, what is your motivation for that? What in your backstory lead you down that road?” Generally when a player thinks of his character as an actual multi-dimensional person these behaviors peter-out. I would also suggest ramping up your consequences in addition to communication and you can even warn him ahead of time either out of character, or in game with something like “You’ve heard this town’s guard is cracking down hard on criminal activity.”

2 Likes