The Intensity of 'Hidden Folks,' A Game Whose Biggest Demand Is Time

Postscript is Cameron Kunzelman's weekly column about endings, apocalypses, deaths, bosses, and all sorts of other finalities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/8xvm8x/hidden-folks-intense-games

Hidden Folks was one of the few games that both my wife and I were completely absorbed by this year. For a solid week while watching stuff on Netflix, we’d pass the iPad back and forth after finding each hidden folk.

Sorry to hear you had such a suffocating experience with Hidden Folks.

That is…my exact opposite reaction to this game. It was actually something my six year old and I have a had a really fun time playing together, finding Hidden Folk for a few minutes before bed and happily put it away for next time.

The intensity doesn’t reflect my experience at all. It’s fun to scan the giant images and imagine what’s happening in any given tableau but I never felt engrossed by it, like I wasn’t meant to look away.

In fact I would like more game like this that my daughter and I can pass back and forth and talk and laugh about. It’s still playing a game, but the stakes are not existent and we get to share a ln experience together. The low stakes is actually the difference, to me, of a game like Hidden Folk and BF1. Of you slacken your attention in BF1 you die and have to respawn, and hurt your team, etc. If you look away from HF for a moment or turn your attention to something else you can just…turn back your attention and nothing has changed.