‘The Last of Us II,’ ‘Watch Dogs: Legion,’ And Others Just Got Delayed

It’s not weird for video games to get delayed, but it is weird for them to get delayed immediately after a release date was announced. But that’s exactly what’s happening with The Last of Us Part II, which will no longer be released in February 21 but now on May 29.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d3aewm/the-last-of-us-ii-watch-dogs-legion-and-others-just-got-delayed

Good tbh

15 characters

6 Likes

I’m glad devs can get more time to finish up the game (hopefully without crunching), but also those first couple months of 2020 are super packed as it is, so I’m honestly kinda relieved.

5 Likes

Have any civilians even seen Gods and Monsters gameplay yet? All I’ve heard is like Austin or Patrick saying they liked what they saw behind the scenes.

This… sounds like good news, right? More polish, less crunch? I don’t really mind waiting, personally.

I still really wish they’d pushed Anthem back (even further) - nothing hurts me quite like paying $60 for something that clearly needs more time in the oven.

Comes off the heels of Ubisoft saying both Breakpoint and Division 2 did not meet sales expectations (which good imo). Rough one for the Ubi.

I just realised it has been a long time since Ubisoft dropped any news about Skull & Bones.

1 Like

What’s it like to be able to afford to buy multiple games at launch?

What does that feel like?

2 Likes

Everyone is afraid of having to compete with UNICLR

3 Likes

It should be literally illegal to release “big” games before April.

What even was the last Ubi game that was good at launch? Origins?

Like others in the thread, I want to express some relief at this. This hopefully means that developers are less likely to experience crunch! I will take a game coming out a few months later or even years later if it means workers are treated well. (The extra time to polish doesn’t hurt, either!)

I suspect it’s not a delay to allow the teams to get a break, but more likely a delay which will result in a longer crunch period than expected.

7 Likes

Yeah, based on Schreier’s chapter on Uncharted 4 in Blood, Sweat and Pixels Naughty Dog pushing back a release date is not even remotely an indicator of there being less crunch.

3 Likes

I feel like that game is either super dead or will be quietly pushed out at a busy time. Seems to really be struggling.

…am I the only one weirded out here by how much of this thread is going “oh thank god I don’t have to play more video games just yet” when the majority of the people posting this don’t make money writing about video games?

Like, my excuse is that video game writing is supporting me right now. It is work for me. But all you you are acting like it’s work for you when you’re not making anything off it.

Why not just not play these games if they’re clearly not making you happy? Or why not just wait a few months or a year or so after release after you wrap up some other stuff to get to it? Does getting into the current conversation, even when you have no monetary gain from playing these, really worth this stress?

Not trying to joke or be mean, I’m legitimately worried you’re all taking part in mentally unhealthy behavior, where you feel obligated to do something that’s supposed to be an activity you take part in to take a break from stress. Are major game releases just so big now that the thought of fully experiencing a game becomes a scary thought?

EDIT: And yes I do agree this is good news for developers because less crunch is a positive for everyone. Forgot to add that.

1 Like

I can’t speak for everyone, but when I say stuff like that it’s usually half-joking, half-serious. It’s really not a big deal to me to miss out on most games when they’re released, but there is still a part of me that wants to engage in the discourse around a game when it’s happening around release. Plus, listening to pods each week where people who are plugged in talk about new games inevitably leaves me with a bit of FOMO. Like, it’s not actually a problem, which is why I’m half-joking, but I can’t deny that it’s a little bit of a bummer when time/budget gets in the way of playing a new game I’m interested in.

4 Likes

That honestly sounds like a big problem I’ve had to deal with in the past. When your hobby starts becoming work, you run the risk of that hobby becoming another form of stress, another job or chore you have to deal with. The fact that so many game companies are trying to weaponize this feeling for financial gain kind of scares me.

I actually don’t think it’s necessarily game companies’ fault in this case, at least not entirely. Between Adblock and not having cable TV, I am exposed to very little marketing outside of the “out now!” ads on the Steam and Xbox front pages. Where most of my “marketing” exposure comes from is stuff like Waypoint Radio. I come for Austin’s dulcet tones, but I inevitably get interested in the games he and the others get excited about, which leads me to play more games at a more intense pace than I would if left to my own devices. But then again, this doesn’t feel like work to me. It’s a fun, albeit ridiculous, way to engage with a hobby I love.

2 Likes

I got Odyssey a week after launch and it was Great.

2 Likes