The LDR Thread - You can do it!

I want to make this thread as a space for people who are in long-distance relationships to talk, seek advice, gripe, the whole shebang. I was in an LDR for five years (now we’re living together and can smooch whenever we want!), and there’s a lot about it that sucks, more than just the distance part. People doubt your decision, you or your partner’s dedication, and are just generally condescending all the hecking time. But when you get off that bus/train/plane/boat and get to smoosh faces it’s the best thing in the world.

So complain about that stuff here, ask questions, or just talk about how worth it it all was in the end.

One thing that was always weird for me when I was in an LDR was other people asking me, ‘hey, should I get into an LDR with this person when they/I move away?’. LDRs have their downsides, sure, and their less-obvious benefits, but I don’t think anyone who’s in an LDR can reliably tell you if you should be in one. It’s a difficult choice, and not a choice that you should ultimately blame someone else for.

I was in a LDR with my current girlfriend after she moved to another city for a job opportunity. It sucked. Really really really sucked. It was probably one of the hardest things I had to deal with, knowing how far away they were. We made sure we talked on the phone every single night about our days and talked about any kind of nonsense that came into our heads. We scheduled routine visits and ensured to set aside time for each other on a constant basis.

It was tough, but we made it work. I also think that the nightly phone calls helped us a bit because it built a good foundation out of conversation. When I eventually moved as well to join her, there was never any awkwardness in readjusting.

Currently we’ve been together longer than we were a part which sometimes is weird to me because it felt like such a long period of time.