The original playstation was my first console, it’s such an important machine that influenced so much in my formalative years. My first ever smartphone was the Sony Xperia Play - you’re damned right I got it so I could play PlayStation games on the go. Getting a good PSX emulator on it meant I could play pretty much all of the PSone’s library.
People shouldn’t forget that they can play a lot of classic PlayStation games on the PS3 or better yet THE VITA. I can play MGS and the VR missions, all the Resis, all the Tomb Raiders, all Syphon Filters, all Crash Bandicoots and all Final Fantasies from that machine.
I was really interested in the mini PS as a concept - like, how do you choose just 20 Playstation games from that back catalogue. I appreciate there are some games on here that you can’t really play anymore like GTA or Tekken 3. These aren’t even available form the PS one classics on the PSN.
I guess there are still so many games that I loved that I can’t play outside of emulation - Nightmare Creatures, Exhumed (Power Slave in the US), Dino Crisis 1 and 2, Alien Resurrection (one of THE best alien games ever made), Micro Machines V3, G-Police, Overboard!, Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3, V-Rally, SPEED FREAKS.
If I could mod the mini PlayStation so it could play all PlayStation games and it had a real 90s ass PlayStation demo disc vibe to it, like hallucinagentic colours and all the music from those discs on shuffle. But instead of selecting demos, I could just select the games. That would be brilliant. That’s a machine I would be buried with…
My list since absolutely nobody from Sony consulted with me:
- Wipeout 2097 - I always liked the second game the best probably because it was on Demo One)
- Tekken 3 - Best fighting game there has ever been
- Metal Gear Solid - Obviously
- Crash Bandicoot - 2 and 3 were better but 1 was the one you remember.
- Resident Evil 2 (GC remake is the only version of Resi you should play)
- Tomb Raider - the original, some would say best
- Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation - Cheating here but TLR was the best and most accomplished of all the old school Tomb Raiders.
- Alien Resurrection - One of the last games I ever played on the PSone. So ahead of its time.
- Micro Machines V3 - I always played as Spider, he looked like Elvis and never really spoke except when he got really excited over how well you raced.
- Final Fantasy VII - the best
- Final Fantasy VIII - the better
- Final Fantasy IX - the bestest
- Dino Crisis - Resi but with dinosaurs - but environents were rendered in 3D - taught me the word ‘evisorated’.
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Why is this not here? Why? Why?
- Syphon Filter - I experienced immense N64 envy in the wake of Goldeneye - Gabe Logan came along to appease that f
- Ape Escape - I get no dualshock? But why? Why no dualshock?
- Nightmare Creatures - PlayStation power called this a sublime monster twatting game and it still stands.
- G-Police - you’re a cop in a cyberpunk city of flying cars.
- Exhumed - Egyptian themed shooter. Called Power Slave in the US - was dope.
- Abe’s Oddyssey
(I was going to include Die Hard Trilogy here, but then I remembered in Die Hard with a Vengence you could literally drive on the sidewalks of Harlem and mow down black people, with your windscreen wipers wiping away the blood.)