The Mini Console Trend Continues: Playstation Classic(s)

Kotaku also mentions they based the emulation off an open source Playstation emulator. While it’s great that open source emulators are actually being looked at and not sued to death like Sony used to try pull off (Like Bleem). It’s a bit of a bad look that the emulation is mediocre from the company who were the architects of the device they are trying to emulate. The reports on how bland and cold the menus are as well don’t sound good. The NES and SNES mini are rather stingy in terms of game count and Nintendo’s over-valuation of those games but the presentation and emulation quality on both is good, not perfect but better representations of those products.

Don’t get me wrong, it will sell but I can’t see it as being the “must have” items the SNES and NES mini were on release.

Between this and Filmstruck closing I’m getting real down in the dumps about the state of creating access points for “classic” media. FS made learning about film easier and more cost efficient. Folks that couldn’t afford buying all the Criterion collections could watch great movies and some even got lovely extras attached. Now that’s gone and so is a way for a lot of people to watch those films.

PS Classic comes in, has a so/so lineup and then doesn’t even do those titles justice. They could have done more. Given fans of this era as well as folks that might tap into these games for the first time something to get energized about. But that’s not the way these things work. It will be a quick nostalgia trip and then tossed aside. It won’t get folks to care about these specific games or Games more.

Granted I’m probably blowing this out of proportion cause that was never what this device was pitched as but I wish a device or service could be.

Very much this. As someone who hasn’t owned a console since the NES (or played any console games at all since the SNES/Genesis era), I’d like to fill some of that huge gap in my knowledge of the medium, but these piecemeal releases tied to pieces of plastic just don’t move the needle for me. The offerings to date feel anemic compared to, say, the Shock Theater block of films which revitalized interest in classic Universal Monsters in the era of television.

My perception (possibly off-base) is that ROM collecting / piracy is currently in slightly better shape than the equivalent in film, if only because of the (relatively) small number of titles compared to the history of cinema. (The disparity between canon and corpus is vastly larger in film than games.) My experience of gray/black-market film is that it is driven by collectors in esoterica, not generalists. If you’re a mondo or giallo or kaiju fan, you can find the goods, but good luck finding mainstream films which have fallen out of distribution. Renewed attention/vigilance by video game copyright holders might lead to a similar situation with games, without actually providing a viable new channel for legitimate distribution.