'The Outer Worlds' Feels Like the Fallout Game I've Always Wanted

Everything in The Outer Worlds, Obsidian’s upcoming Fallout-style adventure set in a far-flung interplanetary frontier, has a brand name. Guns, clothes, food, people, towns—it’s all owned by one of nine or so mega-corps that colonized the planets you explore in the game. People live in company towns, eat company food, get healed by company medicine, and spout off their company slogans like pained religious expressions. It's a world ruled by awful CEOs and streaked with grimly hilarious branding, from the crappy Walmart-of-space Spacer's Choice ("It's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice!") products to an unbearable candy-colored corp that makes loud, neon "stealth" armor.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xweqxa/the-outer-worlds-fallout-obsidian
3 Likes

Well, that’s promising.

eta: Gita Jackson liked it too

2 Likes

This seems like just about everything I could want it to possibly be. Taking the freedom of choice that the modern Fallout games provide, but actually putting interesting, compelling writing in there, and giving me a solid 20+ hours of content to play through sounds just about perfect. This was already something that I was looking forward to, but it’s now at the top of my list of games that I can’t wait to play.

2 Likes

Cool to hear it’s a good game. I’ve been fence sitting on getting this one for a while, and I had pretty much written it off because Obsidian pulled that “NoT pOLiTiCaL” bullshit out a bit ago. But this makes it harder to avoid, because I do love New Vegas

2 Likes

I’m torn because, while Obsidian stories are always gesturing towards political ideology while agonizingly refusing to take a firm stance on any of them, they’re still so much preferable to the Bethesda approach where every character is a broadly-written animatronic who occasionally dispenses MMO kill quests.

Even if it’s just New Vegas Again, I’m still gonna want to play it.

3 Likes

I’m really hoping this game is a little smaller in scope than the modern Fallouts. A solid 20hrs is all I need!

2 Likes

I imagine it can vary quite a bit, but they’ve specifically compared it with KotOR 2, in terms of both and structure, so it should be somewhere in the 30-40 hour range?

1 Like

Elder Scrolls in space is all i’ve wanted for years now so if this is a good appetizer ahead of Starfield i’ll be happy.

1 Like