The PC gaming/building/tweaking/buying thread [Possibly image heavy]

Turns out my cheap MOBO only has 2 (already used) case fan headers, so I had to purchase two splitters for my Noctua fans. Still waiting on everything else to come anyway, though.

OK! Got it installed. Just gonna copy my post from ResetEra, which is where I’m mostly hanging out now, though I do still enjoy browsing this site. Anyways, here:

It works! Here’s a little album, took pics with my phone as I installed it: https://imgur.com/a/3q4RM.
Temps are good (40C to 50C for both core and HBM while OCd at 2000RPM under full load) EXCEPT the “Hot Spot temp” which still hits 100 C when overclocked. What’s that? A VRM temp? If it’s a VRM it’s fine, I guess. might open it back up to put more little baby heatsinks on it.

That’s probably the VRM temp, yeah. From what I’ve read, that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m guessing the card no longer throttles? Any performance improvements?

Thanks for the pics btw!

Many on Reddit seem convinced that it’s actually a particularly hot part of the GPU die, and now I’m inclined to agree. I went ahead and dumped thermal paste all over the GPU+HBM and really screwed the Morpheus on tight, and now the Hotspot tops out at 80C in games with the power limit at +50%, and at 95C in Furmark.

It doesn’t throttle anymore, even at my current overclock, which is great. Gets me about an extra 16% boost in performance (well it’s pretty variable between games. mainly games that use a lot of VRAM benefit).
In some games it could thermal throttle pretty bad with the stock cooler and stock clocks even, and I can see why. There was not very much thermal paste on the GPU and it looked very dry and crusty. So I imagine that a proper coating of quality thermal paste would help those with stock coolers A LOT.

Also, when overclocking both HBM and core with HBCC enabled, I get a lot of crashes, but with one or the other, it’s fine. I guess that I will just disabled HBCC because it doesn’t help nearly as much overall in most games. I have my core at 1677MHz and my HBM2 at 1100MHz.

Hey now! I’m here looking for some advice on a build for my SO. She wants to stop using my PC for playing the Sims 4 (well we both do). So now we are looking at options on the best way to build her a rig of her own. She would like to play the sims and possibly stream it. As well she would want to do some video editing. If possible we would like to try a Ryzen build, but don’t know where to start as far as the CPU goes. Any suggestions here would be the most appreciated.

Sounds like a good plan, Ryzen has a great price/performance ratio, especially for streamers! What’s your budget?

I would like to stay in the $700-$800 range. Will this still allow for a decent enough build to edit video on?

So I’ve got a bit of a bottleneck problem on my hands. My build is going to be listed below, but basically even though it seems to be at least mostly powerful and decent enough to handle some recent games, it seems to constantly have issues clearing medium settings on pretty much anything in the past like 5 years while managing 60fps at least most of the time. I’m not really sure where I need to upgrade to get the most noticeable performance jump, though, because it seems like every time I upgrade the difference is minimal at best.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (6-core, 3.5ghz)
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX-460 4GB OC Edition
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
PSU: 600W

If that’s without the monitor and other peripherals it’s plenty. With may be a little more difficult.

Here’s a little example build I threw together. Don’t worry about the absence of a CPU cooler, it comes with the CPU.

I gave you 16Gb of RAM because it’s good for multitasking, but since RAM is expensive right now you could go with 8 to start and upgrade later, which saves you around $60-$70 give or take.

I’m sorry to say you may be due for a complete overhaul my friend :confused: Although if you’re having trouble with 5-year-old games there’s definitely something wrong. Do you have any 2012-13 games on hand you can benchmark?

Thanks you very muchfor the breakdown. I think she will be happy to splurge and just get 16GB or ram to begin w/. She has an SSD and two HDDs she is going to re-purpose. Is the bump from the Ryzen 1500x to the 1600x or even the 1700x that significant that I should plan on saving the extra cash for her? Or for her purposes can she get away w/ the 5?

Well if you’re saving $100 or so by not buying storage you may as well splurge on a better CPU or maybe a better video card (if she’s planning on playing other games in the future besides the Sims :slight_smile:).

I looked up some reviews as well and provided the HDD’s and SSD are in good condition, we are going to put the extra cash into a beefier CPU. The 1600x seems like a comfortable medium for what would be done w/ the rig. And not really having to splurge on a crazy GPU now b/c most of her playtime will be the Sims 4 and Civ 6. Thanks for your help.

Keep us posted! Are you gonna build it yourselves? If so, pics!

Yep the plan is to build it with her since it is her first build. Just waiting to see if she’s down and then Black Friday for any possible deals on mobo and cpu combos. I’ll deff post pics.

I did a little bit of looking around at pre-built PCs since that’s what my bf and I would do if we got a gaming PC. Any mid-ranged (price and power wise) gaming PCs that y’all could recommend?

I would strongly recommend at least pricing out a mid range PC or two on PC Part Picker and ChooseMyPc.

Building a PC isn’t hard! It’s like putting together a much more expensive Lego kit these days. If you set aside a weekend to do it together with your BF it can be a really fun experience. There’s a lot of really good video guides out there that can walk you through it. Building your first computer can be scary, I know putting in the RAM I was really worried I had just broken it because of how much pressure it took.

If either of you are students you can probably get copies of Windows 10 for free or at a reduced price.

In the event that you run into trouble there’s a lot of enthusiast forums out there that like helping other PC builders with their problems including the fine folks here.

I only say this because for me having finally built a computer my junior year of college I would never go back to buying prebuilt. The amount I spent on mine got me a PC that beat out any prebuilt of a similar price point. Also in the case of prebuilts a lot of times if something breaks you almost have to buy a new PC because they build them in such a way that it is next to impossible to get a replacement part that fits the dimensions on top of everything being almost bolted down so you can’t easily swap it. If graphic card prices ever settle down I’m actually in a pretty good position to upgrade because I have a power supply that can handle more load. On the other hand my old HP prebuilt tower when my card went out I had to hunt down the exact same model because that power supply wasn’t going to handle anything else in addition to the dimension restraints.

Thanks for the response! The main reason we are hesitant to build is horror stories of trying to troubleshoot when the PC you just built won’t work. We’re probably not gonna be building one anytime soon, though, so hopefully that’ll let graphics card prices fall back down again after supply replenishes. If all else fails, I’ll call my 19 yo cousin who built his own for help.

I was in the market for a pre-built one before deciding to just build one myself and yeah it can be a super tricky thing to shop for. A lot of them prioritize including unnecessarily expensive components in an otherwise average PC for some reason (I remember seeing some with like a massive HDD or SSD and a ton of RAM but then a very average CPU and GPU), and it just gets frustrating when you see one that checks almost all your boxes but is missing something crucial. Also watch out for ones that are trying to sell you on some wild neon spaceship looking bullshit instead of actually giving you a machine that’s at least relatively future-proof

So that does happen occasionally but what you’re supposed to do is sort of put it together first outside of the case to make sure all of your parts work before spending the time putting them in. That way if you do need to return something you are not undoing your entire build. Almost all motherboards have beep/light codes as well to help you diagnosis any issues (they will be listed in the manual). And like I said there’s a lot of forums out there full of people willing to help, when I had an issue in the past where I couldn’t figure out what was causing my computer to just randomly cut power /r/buildapc was able to help narrow it down within like 2 hours.

I went to those sites, and it made me realize a hang up I have with trying to find a starting point: cost vs power. I literally have no idea how much I want to spend in order to get enough power to at least temporarily “future-proof” my machine for a few years.