The PC gaming/building/tweaking/buying thread [Possibly image heavy]

Something like this (+$20 CPU, +$40 for a S-ATA SSD that can hold your OS and a few big games, the GPU price is where I’d hope it gets cheaper if AMD announce new models or the 680 that replaces it is faster but same price - right now I’d say the 1060 picked is the better bet).

Might just hit order on this. I have an laptop I got last year that I should probably sell first to recoup cost first though!

Thank you very much for the guidance!

I BUILT A PC EVERYBODY WAHOO!!!

Now I need an OS…probably should have thought about that before I spent nearly a grand on parts and 10 hours building it last night HAHAHAHAH!

Nicely done, congrats! Post some pics once you’ve got it all set up

It’s MASSIVE! Way bigger than I thought it would be but I don’t mind, I just need to find a place for it and then I’ll take some pictures!

I really want to make sure it is working properly but I don’t have the dosh for Windows 10 right now. If I install Linux on it is that going to entail anything weird or can I wipe it and install Windows a few weeks from now when I get paid with no problems???

Yep, you would just reformat the drive.

Linux has gotten a lot more user friendly over the years and is actually a lot of fun to play with because of just how much you can customize it. A really nice thing is that you can test drive them as a live boot disk so you can play around and see if you like the starting look before actually installing.

Ubuntu is the most popular desktop version of Linux by far so has the most user support. It’s generally the one everyone recommends for brand new Linux users.

Kubuntu and Xubuntu are two alternative Ubuntu distros that feature a different user interface KDE and XFCE respectively. KDE is generally considered one of the nicest looking ones while XFCE is liked for being light weight and easily customizable.

There is also of course SteamOS which is Valve’s distro for Steam Machines.

Personally, I would lean towards just normal Ubuntu or SteamOS for your first time and if you find yourself not liking the interface there are plenty of guides out there that will walk you through how to customize it or just straight up replace it.

NOTE: Installing Steam on Ubuntu takes a little bit of work instead of just grabbing it from their software center.

Gog’s games that run on Linux are generally really easy to install. IIRC most just come as a script that you execute and it unpacks itself.

Valve also recently introduced Proton which is a modified version of Wine that allows you to play a shockingly large number of games on Steam that were made for Windows on Linux.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that you are going to without a doubt run into something that will require some effort to get working properly. Most of the time it is as easy as just googling the error message with some keywords related to the problem. At worst you make a post to https://askubuntu.com/ and wait for someone to answer (or you could probably post here I’m sure there’s enough of us Linux nerds around to help).

I’ll second the recommendation for Ubuntu. It will do what you need and give you a lot of support along the way. I’d also suggest just partitioning the hard drive and using a boot loader so that you don’t have to reformat the drive when you install Windows later. Then you can keep Ubuntu around just in case you want to tinker with it (though obviously don’t have to, in which case, yep, just reformat).

Good point about the boot loader, and actually I would maybe suggest not connecting the SSD right away because it’s a lot easier I’ve found to install Windows and then Ubuntu. You would ideally partition part of your HDD for Ubuntu and your master boot loader and install Windows on the SSD and give the last part of your HDD to it. Then make your HDD the first in the boot sequence so it goes to it’s boot loader instead of Windows.

I also realized after writing all of that how confusing it must sound to someone who is new. A boot loader is basically what tells your computer how to load an OS and what options it has. A Master Boot Record (MBR)/Guided Partition Table (GPT) is the first part of a disk where your bios checks for the boot loader.

So if you dual boot both Ubuntu and Windows it might look like this when you first start your computer (with a Windows option added in):

You would then scroll down to your choice and press enter or wait for a timeout.

Now then out of the box Window’s boot loader doesn’t play well with other’s like GRUB (pictured above) does. Which is why most people say to install Windows first and then install Linux so that GRUB gets used instead of the Windows one. Personally I always try to keep my Windows and Linux installs completely on different drives so I can just reformat easily if need be.

All of that said if you do decide to move back to Windows but want to play with Linux without the hassle of dual booting you could also just download VirtualBox and play around with it in there but you wouldn’t get your PC’s full power of course.

HMMMM! So, while you all got me really interested in Linux, I did end up going with Windows because I wanted to make sure everything runs in a familiar environment before the return window closed LOL!

I’m glad I did, because I ran into an issue. After some testing, it seemed that my GPU was done. Whenever I launched an app or, specifically, opened the Radeon AMD settings app, the screen would crash to a random color and lock up.

I tried a few things, but eventually I tried a different PCI-E Slot and it worked! Unfortunately, the slot is a slower bandwidth slot, so I decided to let the computer run and install drivers and what-not for a half an hour, then turn it off and try the faster slot again.

So far so good! It’s only been about 10 minutes hahaha but it would crash immediately before I reseated it! Hopefully I just didn’t have it plugged in all the way or something.

EDIT: Few hours in, problem seems to have gone away.
Now I unfortunately have another problem. Fortnite crashes/bugs out every time I launch it. I decided the peace of mind I get with returning the GPU and spending 40 bucks for a new one is worth it, so I’m going to do that later today.

Finally got the SFF case I helped Kickstarter last year, a Louqe Ghost S1. I love how the SFF community is making powerful systems smaller than ever, and there are even smaller ones than this. It’s like a quarter of the size of my previous case.

(my coffee cup used as a reference, although the perspective is messed up)

Packed with my old 4670k and a full size 1070. Only sad thing is the heat sink I got doesn’t work with my old motherboard, so I had to go back to the stock cooler (and clocks …) until I replace my aging CPU.

That’s a beautiful case. Checked out the website and it’s a bit expensive, but I would really love to build with one of these puppies.

Yeah, it’s pricey for sure and the extra cost comes twice since most SFF components are more expensive, too. That plus having to keep component compatibility in mind due to the cramped space, as I just saw with my heat sink, are two real negative aspects of mITX builds. Oh, and the limited OC head room, which I haven’t been able to feel out yet.

Personally though, I’ve been getting tired of large PC towers in my desk area and its more viable than ever to downsize without losing too much.

(I should point out that the Dan A4-SFX case, at least from what I know, was the first case that got this small and could still fit full length GPUs. Heck, it’s even thinner than the Ghost, which pretty much stole its basic 2-chamber setup, although that again limits the choice of CPU heat sinks.)

Amazon’s ‘12 Days of Deals’ for the holidays deal today is PC parts and accessories. So if you’ve been eyeing anything or been on the fence about pulling the trigger on something due to the price it might be worth checking on there to see if you can find what you’re looking for. Treat yo’ self!

Sorry, I’m gonna geek out a little because I’ve been wanting to talk about my build. I built my first PC in 2016, and aside from the monitor and storage, it’s stayed pretty much the same since then. A few weeks ago I upgraded to RTX 2070 (I know, ray-tracing is an unproven technology, but I mostly got it because it was the right balance of power and cost), and very quickly realized I was also going to have to upgrade my CPU to take advantage of it. For a while I toyed around with upgrading to an i7-7700k, which would have been the most recent CPU my motherboard was compatible with, but eventually I decided I may as well go all in, so I got an i7-9700k and a new Z390 motherboard (this was around Black Friday, so I even got some decent deals). I actually installed everything last week, and it went about as smoothly as it could have. Aside from some minor boot and fan issues, I was back up and running immediately.

So basically I went from a mid-ish range build to something closer to high-end, and I’m pretty happy with it. Maybe it has something to do with poor people (i.e, me) deriving more happiness from material goods than rich people? Anyway, I’ve mainly been playing Hitman 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider on it, and they both run beautifully, at much better settings than I would have been able to run them before, and I’m actually taking advantage of my high refresh rate monitor. I still need to change my fan setup, since their positioning is slightly off, but it shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes to fix. I also want to upgrade to all SSD storage at some point, and swap my RAM out for something faster, but I need to chill out for a while after spending so much.