The Recommended-Me-An-Anime Thread

I admit I have my own selfish reasons for making this thread. I watched some anime when I was in highschool (~7 years ago oh my gosh) but I haven’t been paying any attention to whats good in anime since then but would like to try something new. I imagine there are a fair amount of people in a similar situations, so hey, why not have a general purpose thread.

What prompted this thread for me was was listening to Austin’s Friends at the Table podcast wanting to watch something similar in tone and style to the world of COUNTER/Weight. Dosen’t even have to be a mech show, just some good character based drama and creative world building. Anyone know any good shows in that vein?

if you’re willing to buckle down for 125 episodes (it’s worth it), Hunter x Hunter has both of those imo

If you want an anime with cool robots and tragedy you should watch Gundam Thunderbolt. It’s only like 4 episodes but it excelent. Counter/weight is v Gundam inspired in general but I’m not the person to recommend other Gundam stuff because i’ve barely watched any.

I would also recomend Serial Experiments Lain because it’s one of my favorite things. It’s a psychological cyberpunk thriller/kinda horror. It’s about 90’s early internet and the nature of living your life online. It’s one of the things that inspired The Matrix. There isn’t a week that goes by where I don’t think about it and how weirdly prescient it was. Plus it’s only 13 episodes so it’s a pretty low time commitment. I can’t recommend it enough. OH and you can watch it ALL for free on Funimations youtube channel

They say in counter/weight that it’s basically cowboy bebop, always good. A goofy version of that would be space dandy, headed by the same guy or team as bebop. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt is an amazing short story in the gundam universe (was recommended to it by austin on his last stream at GB, thanks austin!). Actually just watch MGS thunderbolt first its 4 episodes and amazing. Also Akira, watch akira its perfect. Akira is the best and the most anime to be made in anime.

Second that Akira recommendation, with a grain of salt. Watching it with someone who already knows what’s happening or looking up an analysis afterwards is the best way to go there. It’s a very good looking movie, but the story has a few problems that came about in the process of truncating the manga into a 2 hour movie. Worth watching at least once, if only for the legacy aspect. You should def check out the first Ghost in the Shell movie as well if you haven’t seen it.

Would also recommend Kaiba and Ergo Proxy as sci-fi anime with very good world building. If you can get through the first few episodes which can be a tad slow, from what I remember, Shinsekai Yori is very good for this as well.

Also, I tell everyone to watch Redline, just cause it’s rad as hell.

I’m one of the people in the same boat as the OP! I fell off anime early in high school but after I discovered Attack on Titan, I’ve been making a conscientious effort to watch more of it. I’m a big fan of Shinichiro Watanabe, the only show I haven’t seen directed by him is Terror in Resonance. Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Paprika are probably my top three I’ve seen so far?

If you guys have any recommendations for mecha or noir/neo-noir shows, I’d love to hear them!

Also, I’ve been looking for a soccer anime. I watched all of Kuruko no Basuke and was amazed at how they managed to make a sport I would otherwise not care for into an adrenaline-pumping half hour. I’m curious if there are sports anime that accomplish this.

I’m not big into sports anime, though mostly just form lack of experience with them. However, as far as soccer anime goes, try checking out Area no Kishi and see how you like it.

If you’re cool with tech-noir I would point you towards the previously mentioned Ergo Proxy, Psycho-Pass, or just the Ghost in the Shell franchise in general.

As for more grounded noir-esque anime, you might want to try Monster. I haven’t watched it myself yet, but I have literally only heard good things about it.

When it comes to soccer anime I remember being all crazy about Captain Tsubasa back in the day. I think there might be better choices today though lol

Monster fits the bill. As a movie, Jin-Roh is a must watch in that regard.

ALSO if you want both Noir AND Mecha at the same time you should take a peek at The Big O.

Here are some great series off the top of my head:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - I think this is the best entry in the GitS franchise by far, followed by Innocence. The original movie would be in third place.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Nothing really to say about this other than to praise the fantastic story.

Haikyuu - I’m not into sports anime but this show is SO GOOD. Two junior high volleyball rivals have to learn to work together when they discover they are attending the same high school. Give it a shot and be pleasantly surprised!

Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun - romantic comedy, and maybe the funniest series I’ve personally seen?

Yuri!!! On Ice - This is also kind of a sports anime, but really more of a romance. Definitely check it out.

I looooove the Gundam franchise so most of my mecha recommendations would be from there. Some good entry/standalone points:

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Gundam: The 08th MS Team

Also want to give a shoutout to Gurren Lagann, which features the biggest mecha in all of anime (no exaggeration)

Aldnoah.Zero is a very smart and stylish take on the mecha genre, positioning a single secret battleship as the key resistance weapon in the Earth’s global conflict against a superior force. Lots to recommend about it, but watching Inaho’s analytical skills unfold into wild strategies on the fly is a lot of fun.

Last Exile is in a similar vein, but deals with two young airship couriers being thrust into an air war between multiple fronts. Good ensemble cast and fantastic music. Has a design sensibility that is more German/European than a traditional anime, which I find very charming.

I’ll second the Kaiba rec, both because it fits the criteria well but also Masaaki Yuasa is one of my favourite directors and has at least two more stone cold classics (I’m maybe biased) waiting if you like that one (Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong specifically).

Also while it’s light-ish on worldbuilding, I think Mob Psycho 100 has some incredibly strong character work especially in the middle stretch plus it looks good as hell

Ping Pong is so good, I still listen to the soundtrack with pleasure. I definitely recommend it but it’s not exactly a sports anime in the traditional sense. It’s mainly a very good drama.

If you want something similar in tone to COUNTER/Weight, and are willing to go for a long haul, go for Legend of The Galactic Heroes, which is a space opera/political drama about a longstanding war between two galaxy spanning nations. It’s an amazing show, but it can be slow at times, so be prepared for that.

As for you, Gundaminfo has started streaming the Gundam 0079 compilation trilogy (which is the original series compressed down into three movies) on youtube again, so you can watch that and then follow it up with Zeta Gundam on the same channel.

Alright Akira (the film) is great and all but seriously dude, if you have any inclination to get into a Akira I recommend reading it. The comic is so SO good. (You should also watch Akira though, I’m just the weirdo who loves the comic)

My friends usually don’t like my anime recs, but they’re all lame so here goes (I’m also not listening to Friends at the Table so sorry if this isn’t what you’re looking for in terms of setting, but I think they meet the rest of the criteria)

Samurai Champloo, because whoever decided mixing hip hop and Edo era Japan is a goddamn genius. It’s by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop, and also Nujabes did the soundtrack and it’s some real good shit.

FLCL is probably my favourite show ever. It’s nuts, fast paced, short and has hella style. I’ve found that it’s not for everyone, but check it out for sure.

I’m also in to the newest Gundam series, Iron Blooded Orphans. I don’t know how well liked it is generally, but I really like the main character and his crew just being cold motherfuckers, though I’ve heard Wing is similar tonally. I’m not a Gundam aficionado by any means.

I’ll second Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I was never a fan of the original film, but the series drew me in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I remember watching and digging The Big O way back, but something tells me it’d be worth rewatching.

People have already recommended a lot of my favs: I heartily second (or third or fourth etc.) Akira, Paprika (also check out Perfect Blue; Satoshi Kon is brilliant), BeBop, Ghost In The Shell & GitS: Standalone Complex, Gurren Lagann, Iron Blooded Orphans, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (although I’m nowhere near finished watching that one yet). If you want a mecha show with some cool worldbuilding, though, I have one more for you:

Knights of Sidonia (on Netflix) is a pretty decent robot show. It’s not perfect and it hews a little bit too much to harem anime tropes in places (protagonist is bland, but literally every woman alive wants him for uh reasons I guess?). Worldbuilding is top-drawer though. The CG characters could be off-putting depending on your tastes, but I think the backgrounds make up for it. Has at least a few thematic parallels to counter/WEIGHT beyond the presence of robots. One I’d identify in particular is “love and sacrifice in the face of an implacable enemy” .

serial experiments lain bore straight into my soul and left me an empty husk of the person i used to be. could not recommend highly enough.

Ditto Lain, Bebop, Champloo & Satoshi Kon (his Paranoia Agent is probably my favourite anime thing). Adding Tekkon Kinkreet and Nekojiru/Cat Soup