The Recommended-Me-An-Anime Thread

Since people are dropping Crunchyroll passes, I might as well too. Bottom one may expire if you see this is a week old.

JG7HWL8KADZ
5XKQNLQ6AMA
XYFLJRQ6ADX

Also adding in some passes.

WBATJVJHW3D
4W6TMMY4JKX
MF8NVW9QSJ4

Ghost in the Shell, both Seasons of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Ghost In the Shell 2: Innocence, Paranoia Agent, Neon Genesis Evangelion (though odds are you’ve already seen it), Key The Metal Idol, Paniponi Dash, You’re Under Arrest, Paprika, Perfect Blue, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL.

Pretty old standards.

I thought Key the Metal Idol really tapered off at the end, but I’m glad to see somebody mentioning it here! definitely some real good stuff in that show.

True, but I think it’s pretty ok as far as most anime goes. The opening credits roll is one of my favorites.

I don’t watch a lot of anime (been meaning to watch Stand Alone Complex) but I HIGHLY recommend Paranoia Agent. One of my all time favorite shows

I’ve read through some of the recs here, I just finished COUNTER/Weight for the first time, and I’ve decided to go on a mecha anime adventure.

Series I have in mind are:

The 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam

Zeta Gundam

MSG: The 08th MS Team (per Austin’s repeated rec)

Macross

Armored Trooper Votom

Robotech

I’ve already seen Evangelion

Any additional or more modern recs and/or warnings about content/quality of the series mentioned?

Add 0080 War in the Pocket and Patlabor to that list and you’re golden.

EDIT: I would also tentatively recommend MSG: Iron Blooded Orphans but it starts out… dark in a way most Gundam shows only get later on and only goes deeper from there so it can take some work to get into. It’s written by Mari Okada (Toradora, AnoHana, Maquia) so it can get a little messy sometimes, but it never really loses sight of its characters and you can basically guarantee you’ll be a sobbing mess my the end.

I’d add in The Big O. It’s got a really unique style to it and goes some really wild places by the end. Also, I personally prefer the big lumbering style of mech in that show over the more common quick and nimble style.

Also Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt is pretty great. Of the little bit of Gundam I’ve seen, it does a good job getting into the deeper themes and not just being the ‘wow cool robot’ sort of show. Also it’s got a pretty great soundtrack if you’re in to jazz. (Although I’ve only seen the first season of it, I really need to get around to watching the rest of it sometime.)

I also kind of want to add Blue Gender. I honestly don’t remember a whole lot of it past it being cool and having a good soundtrack, but I figure I’ll throw it in here as a probably lesser known thing.

And one last one that is more mecha-adjacent I guess, is Armor Hunter Mellowlink. Instead of the main character having a mech, he has an anti-mech rifle which I think is a pretty cool unique twist.

Some of my favorites over the years include

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Ghost in the Shell (movie, SAC, etc)
  • PlanetES

Some recent anime I’ve enjoyed

• Megalo Box
  • Joker Game

recommendations? Thanks in advance!