The 'Sega Genesis Mini' Faithfully Recreates the Experience of Not Having a SNES

Sometimes nostalgia isn't all positive feelings. So when a product drops that's meant to tug at your memories of childhood, it will inevitably bring along the bad with the good. The Genesis Mini reminded me both of how I enjoyed the early Sonic games, and how much I through the SNES controllers were far superior. We dive into the Sega Genesis Mini's lineup, discuss therapy and characters in Eliza, and talk about the games we've played from this sudden rush of new releases on this week's Waypoint Radio. You can listen to the full episode and read an excerpt below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywagjv/the-sega-genesis-mini-faithfully-recreates-the-experience-of-not-having-an-snes
3 Likes

For as much as the media landscape has been mining 90’s nostalgia for the past decade or so, nothing has ever resonated with me as much as this thread title.

2 Likes

CADO THIS IS THE MOST BRUTAL HEADLINE I’VE EVER SEEN. UTTERLY DESTRUCTIVE TAKEDOWN.

In other news, I haven’t listened to the episode, but I will say I feel like the Genesis had a lot of incredible gems that don’t get talked about. Definitely not as expansive as the SNES, but still!

Also, I want to express how thankful I am to hear more of Danielle on the podcast in the recent weeks. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Honestly, the Genesis Mini is probably the first one of these classic consoles that I’ll actually get just because I never owned a Genesis, and so my knowledge is limited to Sonic games and the better version of Mortal Kombat II. Definitely looking forward to seeing a part of gaming that I really haven’t explored before.

the genesis is already dead you didnt need to kill it again holy shit

10 Likes

God this headline. I was the kid who picked a Genesis over the SNES. Everyone got a SNES, so I was the odd one out. And it sucked cause people would talk about the games on the SNES, but I would have no one to talk to about Sega games.

2 Likes

Alisia Dragoon is fuckin’ amazing. The Genesis was low key the system you wanted to have if you liked strategy games too.

Play Streets of Rage 2 or better yet find the fan made Streets of Rage Remake that is quite honestly in my opinion probably going to be better then 4.

1 Like

kinda curious about that controller feel… Peter Brown of Gamespot said on the giantbomb video he really likes it

I’m pretty bummed by this selection, frankly. How is Sonic 3 & Knuckles not here? Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a damn masterpiece. Where’s Rocket Knight Adventures? Ristar???! Or any of Phantasy Star?

Then again I’m still waiting for the SNES Classic 2 with Fire Emblem Thracia 776, Terranigma, Tactics Ogre, and Super Star Wars.

1 Like

The only thing I really care about at the end of the day is the input lag and the sound (there’s been a lot of not so great official stuff in this regard) because it’s likely going to be cracked so you can put whatever ROMs you want on it pretty soon like all of these other mini systems.

1 Like

I really liked Herzog 2: Herzog Werner back in the day.

1 Like

I’m just catching up on this episode and I can’t believe Jaws the Board Game is competitive Wumpus.

The worst thing about Sega shipping the Genesis Mini with a 3-button controller is that the Japanese Mega Drive Mini has the 6-button controller. They manufactured 6-button controllers for this thing, then went and made 3-button controllers for everyone else apparently out of spite. (Maybe some of the Japan-exclusive games require 6 buttons? I haven’t gone through and checked.) You want the rest of those buttons to get some proper Street Fighter going, that’ll be another $40 for two officially-licensed 6-button controllers.

I appreciated Austin’s take on the honesty of the Genesis Mini library. Gaming culture has a bad habit of dealing with its history through canon-building, which both isn’t honest to the historical experience and causes huge blind spots.

3 Likes

Yeah … the worst thing about the Genesis Mini is that it plays Genesis games.

They went to all this trouble to make a genesis mini, and they didn’t put Shadowrun on it.

1 Like

This headline wounds me a little. We had an NES, but my brother, who is 14 years older than me, got a Genesis for Christmas in 1991. I only got to play it once before he moved out, and I spent the next three years asking for a Genesis of my own. My Mom got me a SNES, and even though I did not hate it, I still kept asking for a Genesis anyway. Even at 8 or 9 years old, I was desperate to recapture that moment of playing my brother’s.

As such, I’m totally one of those “You know the Genesis ACTUALLY controlled 51% of the market for a moment there and beat Nintendo” guys if you let me.

I think Austin mentioned that the NHL games were also on SNES but what he didn’t say was that they played much, much better on Sega!

I had the 4 Way Play so after school every day my friends would come over and we’d have a blast. I think the most fun was NHL 95’s practice mode where it was a 3 on 3 scrimmage so it was more open and flowing.

Anyway I also had a SNES so I am lucky my mom earned enough money so we could afford both :slightly_smiling_face:

As a European who never had a console as a child (we were an Amiga household)… I find the whole Genesis (Megadrive) / SNES shade a bit weird.

Im going to disagree with Austin and say if you are going to pick a Road Rash title you should pick 3 if only for that amazing sound track