The "Should I buy this game" thread

I really liked Slay the Spire but I also like card games in general. I wouldn’t really call it a normal turn based RPG. It’s definitely a game about learning to optimize your deck and you’re going to do a lot of runs but it’s also a game that once you figure it out it goes fast and getting a good combo going feels super good. Easily my favorite game of the year so far.

1 Like

As a strategy and rogue-like game, Slay the Spire is top notch. Keep in mind I have a weak spot for rogue-likes but I’d reccomend StS to almost anyone.

1 Like

I do like deck building card games like Dominion, and EVERYONE praises STS, so I think I’ll grab it. Thanks for the help everyone!

2 Likes

Does anyone have any single player action mech game recommendations for PC that are not Titanfall?

1 Like

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries came out just recently, and many of the other Mechwarrior games are available as abandonware.

Brigador is an isometric mech action game. There’s tons of customization and it has a mode with rogue-like elements.

Daemon X Machina was released for PC recently. It’s a bit like an Armored Core game.

4 Likes

Everyone should play Brigador. It’s the cyberpunk mech Blast Corps. sequel no one knew they wanted.

Also the soundtrack fucking slaps.

3 Likes

Y’all, I’ve been super busy and disconnected for the last six months or so, so I need you to tell me what cool games to buy with my COVID cash.

Hay

With all this FF7 talk and I have a lot more free time, I decide to fill in my Final Fantasy and JRGP blind stop. I am big fan of bio ware style RPG, and I only have a xbox one and a switch.

If you have game pass, Final Fantasy XV is on there and is just as good of an entry point into the series as any of the games. Other games from the series should start to show up there as well but there’s no date yet on them. They’re all essentially independent storylines so no prior knowledge is necessary. If you’re willing to spend the cash, any of the other Final Fantasies are all pretty much worth checking out. Word of warning, the farther back you go the more old school video game design is present, which may or may not be something you’re willing to put up with. I’d say Final Fantasy X might be as far back as I’d recommend for someone new to the series to start with.

Of course, if you do have access to a PS4, FF VII Remake is worth checking out as well. The original is a classic, but like I said, it has old school design sensibilities.

Thanks
I will check out FF XV since I have game pass and maybe FF XIII since it only $15 on the xbox store.

1 Like

FFXII is arguaby the most reviled Final Fantasy just a heads up. I barely got 10 hours in before I got rid but this was right when it was released.

This is what I’ve discovered. I tried giving the Switch port of the original a go, and it seriously shows its’ age. I know that it comes packaged with cheats to basically make combat trivial if you want it, but I’m not sure if I have the time/patience/energy to just suffer through old school game design to see the story through with VII.

It’s entirely possible JRPGs just aren’t for me, but I did decide to download XV last night, so I’ll likely dive into that a bit this weekend to see if it can pull me in.

1 Like

Question, if I’m thinking of finally getting a Vita to play through some of the exclusives for it what model should I get? And does the online shop for it still work?

I bought P4 Golden half way through college for it because we could rent Vita’s but it turns out moving their weird SD card between a different machine every 4 days without losing your save is a nightmare and so I stopped after about 2 weeks.

If you can get the OG model with a still good battery get that. The OLED impresses even today. The slim model is fine, but why have hamburger when you can have steak?

PS Store is still alive and kicking. I redownloaded P4 a month back and it went fine. If you have a PS3 lying around, it makes for a good Vita download manager as well.

I finished up FF7 remake this week and its vibe of heightened occasionally absurdist drama really clicked with me. I’d love to follow up with something else that allows for the equivalent of fighting a house by summoning a Chocobo. In that Xbox stream a few weeks ago the only trailer that really stood out to me was Yakuza Like a Dragon which just had an incredible energy. I’ve been curious about the series for a bit but also intimidated by the size of it so I wanted to ask, which games in this series do you think are must plays? I’m probably going to pick up zero and six, but of the rest of the series what would you recommend, especially if I’m interested in the heightened emotion via explosive unembarrassed action aspect of the series. Second, this might be asking a lot to explain, but what is it like to actually play these games? The trailers on the PS store really don’t do a great job of capturing the feel of the game, so I’m wondering what does a typical play session look like? thanks all!

1 Like

0 is definitely the place to start and the most solid standalone entry in the series, so I would start there and decide what to do afterward. But if I were to trim down the series to the “essentials” it would probably be something like 0, 2, 4, 6. I’d maybe toss 1 in there as well, since it’s short and introduces a lot of characters that are mainstays of the series.

Yakuza games aren’t quite open world, but they’re packed with lots of optional stuff to do, so an average play session can vary depending on how much you get into that stuff. There is however a lengthy and intense main story that you could focus all your attention on instead, if you wanted. But I think Yakuza is at its best when you at least mix in some of the side-stories, which open up gradually, and you are free to do them whenever there’s a break in the main story.

Combat is an action beat-em-up (at least until 7, which is a turn-based RPG) with a standard combo system and “heat actions” which are contextual super moves you can activate with enough meter. The main story will regularly throw scripted encounters at you, which are mostly large groups of enemies that you just plow through, and occasional a boss fight between cutscenes, which there are a lot of. There are also thugs roaming the city that will try to pick a fight if they see you run by.

5 Likes

Love this series, let me think if theres something I can add…
Definately start with 0, not only is it an intro to the series but team was def in a groove by then, might be the most giddily absurd of the series. But still takes itself deadly serious: this is important for the Yakuza games.
If 0 clicks with you, I suggest jumping to the recently released Yakuza remastered collection which has 3, 4, and 5. 5 is possibly my favorite after 0. Maybe just download and jump to 5? Every game in the series included catch up on the plot videos. Like 4, 5 splits the game in between different characters and really goes for it in terms of mini games and mixing up.the gsmeplay. At one point you play as a character trying to become a pop idol and have to dance battle around town!
You asked to sum up gameplay: watching long cutscenes of yakuzas being very yakuzery, exploring a city, playing mini games… A Lot of beating up punks, scammers, general low lifes. Kiryu getting into absurd situations, usually resolved by beating up half a dozen people in a small japanese office. I love the feeling of seeing an office load in a yakuza game, and a couple of dudes swagger in, and YOU KNOW whats going to happen next.
Btw the order i played these games in was 3 (on the ps3) a lil bit if 4 before a fatal game error that kept happening, yakuza:dead souls (a zombie spin off, considered generally terrible but i liked it), 5, 0, yakuza kiwami 1, 6, yakuza kiwami 2, then finally the remaster of 4 this year!
(Point being playing out of order doesnt really effect enjoyment)

1 Like

Thank you both! These descriptions really sold me, and its great to know both that there are catch up vids built into the games and that order doesn’t really matter. Gonna download zero tonight and dive in!

Is SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays actually a good strategy game or is it more that you’re going to play it for the Gundams in it?

So I haven’t played this game but I have played previous games in the series and think the tactics can be pretty solid but the games are really about how much you love Gundam. Like I want to like the series a lot more than I do because I like Gundam and love tactic games but most everything in the games takes a backseat to collecting mobile suits and pilots. The map design has never struck me as super creative given the potential with mechs and art can feel a little flat.

Honestly, if it is possible to get the game for $30-40 it may be a fine purchase but if you have to pay for an imported copy that’s where I waiver at this time. I don’t regret playing older games in the series but I was not charmed enough to spend $80.

Edit: oh wow the game is on PC now and you can buy it for $40 on Steam. If you are a fan of the Gundam series featured in the game uhh this might be a fun one to play?!

1 Like