The "Should I buy this game" thread

This game is really conflicting for me. It’s beautiful, the score is low-key incredible in some places, and the movement system is fantastic, but the story and loot system really bring the game down as far as I’m concerned. If you have friend that would play with you, I’d recommend it 100% but as a solo game I feel your time might be spent better elsewhere?

Not sure myself, but Noah Caldwell just did a great video on the game and its DLCs that might help you, depending on what you’re looking for :slight_smile:

Yeah; it never made narrative sense on any level that you’d have hackers who are also just one-man armies; if you’re sneaking into a place to steal something, leaving a pile of dead bodies is a great way to get noticed.

I played WD2 mostly non-lethal, except for a handful of missions where you were basically up against an army and it became impractical. (I’m not sure it’s even possible to do the tank level without killing anyone – there’s too much random exploding shit lying around.) Otherwise it’s all about stealth and getting the quadcopter and RC upgrades as early as you can. I’m annoyed they don’t just give you the quadcopter to start with, since it’s so essential to making a stealth build work.

Put about 80 hours into it and genuinely think it’s one if the most underrated games of the last 5 years or so. The free running works surprisingly well and only gets better as you unlock skills like the grappling hook and the forward roll, and the melee combat is so satisfying and weighty and brutal.

It’s maybe one of the best Far Cry-esque games around (plenty of outposts to clear, a bland protagonist to listen to, and an edgy/charismatic evil villain to escape from the clutches of on multiple occasions). By no means perfect, but easy to get lost in for a while. Oh and of course the co-op is a riot and offers you the chance to get up to some really dumb fun antics, as expected.

Thanks for the feedback to everyone who chimed in. I’ll continue to think on it. I would primarily be playing solo, and it sounds like co-op is where it shines, but I’m always up for an entertaining sandbox to mess around in, so we’ll see.

I just finished playing the game like a month ago. I played it solo and didn’t really feel like I was missing out on anything. This is what I wrote as my final thoughts on both the original game and The Following. If you have any questions, let me know.

Ah, that upgrade tip helps, thanks!

Given that I quite enjoyed the demo, keep hearing people insisting “you should play this game” (about which I’m intrigued, I don’t really know anything going in about it except a few details), and have seen it fairly cheap (and available from a place for which I recently won a voucher)… should I get Nier: Automata?

• Heavens to Betsy, yes!
  • Gadzooks, no!

0 voters

If you decide to get Nier, try adjusting the camera control(and all the settings in general).

I had a much better time when I turned off the in-battle auto camera tracking, and increased it’s turning speed.

It’s that time of year again, where the snow melts and the allergens work their demon magic on me and knock me on my ass for a few days.

So I would like to get a cheap (sub $25) Switch game in that time for something to play in bed, but not sure which would be best. Please note that this sinus infection is going to make me too tired for reaction based gamess and susceptible to flashing lights.

Games I’m considering are Night in the Woods (have no idea how the Switch port holds up), Dandara, Gorogoa, Yono and the Celestial Elephants, or Golf Story. Feel free to give more suggestions as long as they follow those guideles.

Of the choices you put up I’d recommend Night in the Woods if only because it’s my favorite one I played. Gorogoa is also amazing but a bit short if you’re looking for something to play for a while.

I also recommend Darkest Dungeon if you haven’t played it. The controls can be a bit confusing, but if you’re playing portable the game has great touch support too. That game is probably the best at making the time fly by!

I hope you feel better soon!

Yeah, Night in the Woods has been a must play for me since it came out, what’s the word on the Switch port tho?

Unfortunately I have not heard anything about it good or bad, quickly glancing at metacritic, it seems that there aren’t any problems and many people feel it’s a great portable game!

I’ve been playing it and so far it’s magnificent.

Night In the Woods is one of the greatest games ever made, so I definitely second that recommendation. However, @murphy_slaw mentioned on Discord that loading times aren’t great, so keep that in mind.

Yono and the Celestial Elephants would also be a good choice. That game is cute as h*ck.

I’d recommend against Golf Story in your very specific case. That game is fine and all, but it’s definitely not a sinus infection friendly game.

What game should I rent from Gamefly next?

I should mention that I’ve already played 50-60% of Watchdogs 2 (I can’t remember why I quit, boredom maybe?). I’ve also played 20% of Mafia 3 (I quit because there were better things comng out). I’ve already played and beaten Radiant Historia (I’d totally play it again for the bonus stuff in the re-release, though).

Yakuza 0 is absolutely fantastic, with the caveat that there’s some pretty heavy sexism and even racism at times to contend with.

Night in the Woods is a beautiful game. (looking forward to giving it a replay in Autumn, myself)

Another benefit of playing Dark Souls: You’ll understand why everyone is bananas for it over here on discourse.zone :wink: