The "Should I buy this game" thread

Been loving Into the Breach! Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to check out detention.

I’m not super into horror because, I’m a big baby when it comes to horror movie or games but everyone has been talking about how good Dying Light is.

Have you tried the Harebrained Schemes’ Shadowrun games? They’re tactical, weird, and rpgs.

Yeah, I have Shadow Run Returns. Game wasn’t bad, but I thought pretty basic in execution. Would rather fire up XCOM 2 than play that again. I appreciate the recommendation though.

I’ve only ever played RE7 of that list, but I really, really enjoyed it. One of my favorite gaming experiences from last year. Also they had a fairly decent demo for the game available on Steam before it launched, so you could get a feel for it by playing that and see if it’s the kind of thing you’re going to like.

I did play a bit of the demo. Is that what I can expect of the game? Seems like a huge departure from RE4 (the last one I played).

RE4 and RE7 could not be less similar. Really the big difference you’re going to get between the demo and the full game is the full game will have way more weapons and combat. It’s still going to be incredibly limited compared to RE4, facing more than two enemies at once is very rare. It’s much more a mood piece than an action game. If you’re not in the mood for that kind of slow, deliberate horror than there’s almost no reason to play it however.

I would say RE7 is much more like the original game than RE4. Not that 4 is bad, mind you (I still haven’t played it, so I can’t say), but it was a departure from the original formula and 7 is an attempt to get back to that. Minus, you know, terrible tanks controls.

Aside from the Bro button and extreme veneer, steep is pretty good

Anyone else going to pick up (either new or on cross-buy with the PS4) Cosmic Star Heroine on the Vita tomorrow?

I played a few hours on PS4 when it launched, but the whole time just wished I was playing on Vita.

Also, it’s 2018 and good games are still coming out on the Vita?

Thanks for the heads up, I didn’t know it was coming to Vita, I’m pretty excited to replay it now. A great game to dip in and out of with not too many paths to get forget you have already been down, and simple enough mechanics.

Anyone have any thoughts on Space Hulk: Deathwing and is it worth it at $16?

I have heard no redeeming things about that game that would not get you better stuff for 16 bucks.

I’m debating on a few games so any recommendations or anything is greatly appreciated. Here are the games I’m thinking of getting: Assassin’s Creed Origins, Devil May Cry Definitive Edition, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition, and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I’ve played both DmC and Sleeping Dogs before, but I enjoyed them so much I’m debating getting them again to live through the enjoyment of those games. I also have Prey coming in here soon. I’ve heard good things about Assassin’s Creed, but I’m just unsure about it since the last one I played was Assassin’s Creed 3. Again any pointers, recommendations, or whatever will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

• Origins is more like the Witcher 3 than an assassin’s creed game imo. Fun if you’re into that stuff, might be disappointing if you’re looking for the Assassin’s Creed 2 experience.
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands is not a good game.
  • Prey should give you your fill of immersive sim so I’d skip Mankind Divided.
  • If you have a PS4 I’d look into Yakuza 0. It is not exactly similar to Sleeping Dogs, but it hits some of the same beats and then some.

I can’t recommend AC:O strongly enough. I was not expecting to be sucked back into an AC game again, but it has arguably the best open world I’ve played in, from the perspective of really making you feel like you’re in that very specific time and place. It was one of my favorite games of last year. But as @Glorgu just said, it is a bit more Witcher than, say, the AC2 trilogy, but for me that wasn’t a bad thing. But it’s a beautiful, immersive game and world, and it’s worth playing (though it doesn’t start particularly strong).

For Wildlands I’ve just seen such fun times on Giant Bomb so I thought maybe give it a shot. I guess it was more GB shenanigans than actual fun gameplay. It also makes sense to just focus on Prey rather than get another immersive sim. I’ve been super interested in Yakuza, especially since Danika and so many others seem so into it. I just seems so daunting. It sounds like there is just a ton of stuff to do, and it’s from a series I’ve never really played before. I know this is the prequel and all, but I still feel like it’s a ton of game that I don’t know when I’ll be able to get to.

That two strong recommendations of AC:O. I’ve never played the Witcher so I don’t really know what that means. I’ve heard good things about the Witcher, but just never played it myself. I just recently got a PS4 so I’ve got a hell of a backlog to go through. @Gjallarsean hearing that it’s not like the AC2 trilogy makes me more interested. Thinking back to my time with that trilogy, and AC3 to an extent, I was satisfied with the games, but after AC3 I think I was done with the AC gameplay style. None of the other AC game even interested me until I heard such great thing about AC:O. It also seems super silly/amazing based on few stories I’ve heard about it. All I really know is that you can guide arrows using a bow which sounds amazingly ridiculous, silly, and fun all at the same time.

Full disclosure, I haven’t played the Yakuza games (I’m holding out for a hail mary PC port), but everythin I hear about Zero is it’s a good entry and seems to be good all on its own without any previous reverence for the series.

From the sounds of it to me, you should definitely get Origins!

Yeah I’ve heard similar things about Zero as well. It’s definitely on my radar, and will probably be one of the next games I get once I make it through the games I’m getting now.

Yeah I think so too. I had two people within minutes say Origins is the way to go, and seemed very excited/passionate about the game. If that isn’t a ringing endorsement, I don’t know what is!

I’ve been playing Yakuza 0 and it definitely holds up on its own. I’m sure there are references I’m not getting but nothing that has stopped me from understanding the story.

My only previous exposure to Yakuza was watching about the first half of an LP of Yakuza 1. So at least I recognized Majima, but that’s about it.

Yakuza 0 is fantastic, the story is absurd and glorious, and there is definitely a TON to do there. How daunting it is will largely depend on how much of a completionist you are. If you don’t mind just overlooking the stuff that’s not grabbing you, you’ll get through it without too much trouble and probably really enjoy it. Or you could be like me and get your ass kicked by the CPU at mahjong and shogi for several hours because you just have to do everything. (This is bad and I don’t recommend it.) As long as you don’t have the same compulsion I do to need to dive deep on all the things, chances are you’ll love it. (I love it too, I just had to push through that stuff.)

Origins is great. Basically the Witcher comparison just means that they went out of their way to make the side stories / quests really interesting and engaging (for the most part). And it has, at least in my opinion, a way more fun take on combat than the series has ever had. I highly recommend it. (I’m actually planning to play through it again on PC soon with all the DLC.) Also: yes, it’s dumb in a lot of great ways. I had several moments where the game’s physics went wonky and led to hilarious shit like an enemy getting stuck upside-down half inside a wall while I gleefully jumped all over him cracking up. Good times.