The "Should I buy this game" thread

Watching the “Games for Impact” segment from The Game Awards last night (a truly delightful segment) and I’m wondering if anyone has checked out GRIS?

1 Like

GRIS is a very pretty game that, I found, ultimately didn’t say that much or didn’t say anything of substance. If memory serves, a lot of pieces at the time of release focused on how the game is a reflection or meditation on grief but I felt like the game presents a very formulaic and uninspired look at this subject if that’s the case. Color palettes and music change and swell at the appropriate moments and get a clear emotional arc but not with any depth.

Having said that, I think the game is interesting for what it is and is beautifully designed. Well worth it if it is for sale.

2 Likes

Dragon’s Dogma is $9 on Steam right now, $30 for Switch and Xbox (digital). I think I can get it for $20 on my Xbox One X if Gamestop has a used copy.

Any suggestions for which is best or whether one version is preferable to another for any reason? If I’m digging the hell out of Daggerfall because it’s kind of an endless dungeon crawler, will this game work for me? I keep hearing the combat is incredible, but I’ve been shying away from it because I just don’t need another amazing time destroyer in my life… but then again I can’t help myself.

1 Like

I’d probably recommend it on PC if it’s cheaper there, just for that reason, and a PC copy allows for mods (I know some people like and recommend infinite stamina outside of combat - I don’t think it’s necessary, but I understand why people would want that). I think Switch probably has the easiest access to multiple save files - the game normally only lets you keep one save, but on Switch you can make or use a different profile to get more saves if you want to experiment with builds or something. I imagine you can move the save files around on PC to get more than one slot (maybe there’s even a mod to do it easier), but out of the box it seems simplest on the Switch.

As for whether it’ll work for you, the main game has something of a dungeon-crawl-y vibe in terms of making preparations for long journeys, coming to learn areas as you go through them more often, even though it doesn’t have many dungeons in it. The Bitterblack Isle expansion is best approached after the main story, and is a very sizeable proper dungeon that refills with meaner monsters once you clear it once. If you are at all interested in ambitious, kind-of-janky rpgs that do things that are cool as hell, I would certainly recommend it for $9.

1 Like

I actually did two playthroughs of the main game before tackling BBI and still got my butt handed to me. :wink:

The Switch version is a great port, but there’s definitely noticeable pop-in and downscaling, so yeah buy it on PC unless you specifically want something portable. Also, a lot of the archery skills lack auto-aim, so having a mouse would be an advantage there. (Though the melee combat is probably better with a controller.) Plus, $9 is the kind of price where you won’t feel bad if its particular thing turns out not to be for you.

(Pro-tip: if you search around for character builds and stuff, you’ll come away with the impression that you need this super intricate leveling plan for every character. THAT IS A LIE. It absolutely does not matter what classes you play when, it’s all min-max shit that simply does not matter even for tackling BBI content. Seriously, I can’t stress that enough. The leveling guides all go 1-200, but you’ll beat the main quest by level 50 playing at a normal pace, and you can potentially finish as early as level 40 if you really vibe with the combat.)

3 Likes

thank you both @tobascodagama and @JennySighs - I think I’m going to pick it up this week. Woo!

Reading Rob’s Favorite Games of 2019 reminded me how much I enjoyed folks on the podcast discussing Mutant Year Zero and that a Switch port was released at some point this year. Trying to find information on the Switch port has given me a bunch of reviews of folks saying the game looked bad until a patch was released but I am hard pressed to find any reviews or Let’s Plays that detail how the game currently looks (or handles in handheld mode).

Have folks played Mutant Year Zero on the Switch? Is it a “good” port (and by “good” I mean "worth” the $20 the game seems to sell for at GameStop)?

2 Likes

I just want to say if you’re like me and have been staring out your window wondering when L4D3 will appear I have good news for it has already appeared in the form of World War Z and it’s on sale for $5.

This game I feel has some how managed to slip below the radar of most people (maybe because of that terrible movie and that it’s on the EGS) but after playing this game for quite a bit this week let me sell you on it.

• Multi cultural cast of characters with decent voice acting
  • The zombies feel like a swarm of ants and it’s really cool to watch them try to climb things by forming living ladders
  • Special zombies, some are similar to l4d but others like the screamer really change things up
  • Weapon unlocking and progression
  • Weapons actually feel different and are not just skins
  • I replaced my pistol with a small grenade launcher
  • Heavy weapons that are limited use that feel awesome to use
  • A fun class system similar to Killing Floors
  • The environments are varied and look amazing even on medium settings
  • Objectives are original and don’t repeat too much
  • Humans exist in the world other than the heroes
  • Deployable traps
  • A horde mode that is a million times better than the garbage one that Valve slapped together
  • Single player with bots

I’m really bummed gifting isn’t a thing yet for EGS because for $20 you can get 4 people playing the game and it’s just so much fun.

2 Likes

I’m thinking I want to try out Tokyo Mirage Sessions! What is the consensus about the game on the forum?

Persona 5 is one of my favorite games of all time. The story is whatever, but I loved just hanging out with friends and the battle system is the best I’ve ever played. However, I hated Persona 4 Golden. I didn’t like the characters, the story (didn’t finish) was often abhorrent and offensive, and the combat was much less engaging than Persona 5. In P5 you were encouraged to knock down demons and recruit them, or all out attack if all enemies were downed. Every encounter felt like you could win before the enemy had a chance if you played it smart, but also if that didn’t happen you could easily get TPKOd. Every encounter was thrilling and dangerous. P4G lacked that feeling, and the card persona system was boring. Also dungeon design in P5 was leaps and bounds better than P4G. I’ve never played a Fire Emblem game, but I main Ike in Smash.

That being said: is Tokyo Mirage Sessions for me?

@mufosta really late response but I picked up TM:S and I liked the combat but bounced off the plot. Maybe it gets better later on but it didn’t really grab me outside of the idea that someones ability to perform is their power.

I might go back and try it again because the combat really did seem well thought out and interesting for a turn based RPG. I would call it P5 adjacent, with more emphasis given to party construction and preplanning attacks before you even got into combat with how the combo system worked.

I’m thinking about giving Stellaris another shot now that it’s been 2 years since I last played it.

I currently have the Leviathans and Utopia DLC, is there any others that I should consider picking up?

My experience with most paradox games is it’s best to start with less expansions than get them when you have a better understanding of the game, given you have played it though, I think MegaCorp is worth picking up if you find you’re enjoying the game again.

EDIT: Accidentally posted too early.

1 Like

Looking for input on Man of Medan. The “movie night” mode for local multiplayer sounds really fun. But is it suitable for “non-gamers”? I’m worried that if there’s a lot of split-second, instadeath QTEs, anyone unfamiliar with a controller won’t last long.

How do people feel about The Sinking City? It’s on sale for $25 on the Switch eShop right now. Having just finished Bloodborne I’d be very much in the mood for even mildly decent cosmic horror, but I remember the reviews of it being fairly mixed. Anyone have thoughts on that one?

If anyone is interested in DCS but missed the steam sale recently, the sale is still running on the Eagle Dynamics homepage. You can get a module that was previously 50-80 USD for 50% off.

Depends. The cosmic horror plot is mostly a bunch of clichés that end up going nowhere. The investigations can be fun, but they’re done better in the previous Sherlock Holmes games. I enjoyed exploring the town itself and soaking in the atmosphere, but there wasn’t enough there to support 20/30 hours of game.

If you haven’t tried those yet, I would recommend looking at Sunless Sea, World of Horror, maybe The Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker? I’m also invested in the Arkham Horror card game, which is very good but very expensive :confused:

4 Likes

i am curious about ashen. i like the idea of exploring unfamiliar places and piecing together an understanding from snippets of ~lore~ (or not) and maybe having some brief, brutal battles, as well as the sort of community-building aspect by rescuing lost npcs that i recall austin was keen on.
does it do these things well; does it cohere as a setting? and, do the fighty bits hold up?
for reference, i think of demon’s souls and bloodborne as the best and most complete expressions of from’s whole thing that i’ve played.

1 Like

The world, lore, and characters are all really wonderful. Well, maybe the lore is a little light but it is does a very good b-fantasy and I in no way mean that as an insult. On the other hand the combat and particularly the dungeons can be a bit maddening. There are at least two major difficulty spikes in terms of the bosses you face but what makes these spikes all the worse is they come at the end of maddeningly long dungeons. That and I could never beat the final boss.

Something to keep in mind with the above: I am not a Souls person; couldn’t make it past the opening level of Bloodborne, and never gave a Souls game a real shot. Here is a post I made in January that inspired a little bit of discussion about the game, hopefully that will be informative and includes thoughts from folks who are more informed than I.

One final thing I will add: I am very much annoyed that I never truly beat the game but I do not in anyway regret my time with it and think it is well worth one’s time and money.

3 Likes

Re: Ashen, I concur with @Alveric. It has a lot going for it in terms of design but the difficulty gradually killed all the enthusiasm I had. Which wasn’t a small amount! My first impressions were glowing.
Keep in mind I don’t have tons of patience for games that have the “player must climb the mountain, fall down, and climb again, repeat” approach to difficulty.
If you take the Souls games as an example, I finished Demons Souls (had more patience then, I think), got to the end of Bloodborne, tried the other Souls games and Sekiro but bounced off them fairly quickly.

2 Likes

Should I buy Slay the Spire?

It’s on sale on Switch right now, but I’m not sure if it’s for me. The only rogue like I’ve ever played was Enter the Gungeon which was fun, but I wasn’t quite good enough to make it worth the time investment (Edit: I’ve also played Into the Breach, which is an all-time classic, one of my favorite games). I’ve never played a deck building game, but I do like party-building rpgs/turn based rpgs in general. This also wouldn’t be my main game, just something besides animal crossing/UNICLR

1 Like

I think its probably worth it for you. It can be pretty hard, but I’m almost certain Into the Breach is harder, and that game’s a much closer comparison in terms of what skills its testing than Gungeon. As far as deck builders go, I’ve heard from people who’ve played a lot more of them than me that it’s a pretty good choice for a first one. The core mechanics are very simple, which makes getting started pretty easy and the ramp into more complicated cards smooth. And while you definitely can make it your main game imo its perfect as a side thing, the length of the runs is ideal for when you dont have the space or energy to play something with more investment.