The "Should I buy this game" thread

i am curious about cozy grove. i’m interested in something animal crossing-ish that seems unlikely to fall into hollow, uncanny busywork the way pocket camp did when i played it, but the store descriptions are lined with red flags - ~crafting~, ~quests~, daily play, “designed to span months of playtime”… anyone else played it?
(is the actual solution to get animal crossing on 3ds or reinstall pocket camp and find people to play with/post screenshots at? there’s no way i’m paying for nintendo online for one game, on top of the sixty u.s. dollars for new horizons.)

also into the breach. i am curious, but wary of it because of all the reviews likening it to a chess puzzle. does it even really compare to tactics games, and if so, how is it in that regard? if it really is mostly a puzzle game, how strict or how freeform is it, that is, how few or how many solutions does any given turn have on a run that succeeds? i’m not looking to replace picross luna in the rotation, but it’d be nice to have something i can just pick up and play when i’m not inclined towards picross, like recently.

2 Likes

Into the Breach is a tactics game through and through. What gives it a puzzle aspect is that the battles all take place on small grids and enemy actions are telegraphed, thereby teasing you to determine the “optimal” actions in a given turn. If you are one to suffer from decision-paralysis then this game can be maddening at times. But if you know your way around a tactics game then it’s great fun.

7 Likes

Into The Breach is amazing. Probably one of my favourite games of the last few years. It gets likened to chess because it’s effectively a turn based tactics game that plays out on a chessboard. But you only have about 4 turns to minimise damage, so you don’t have the finality of getting an opponent to check. Into The Breach will make you feel like an idiot at times but when you win you will feel like a chess grandmaster especially when you’ve thought a few moves ahead and masterfully setup an opening for attack.

It’s great on PC, but it’s a dream on switch. I’ve logged countless of hours to it.

It also has such a great apocalyptic feel to it. Everything’s hopeless and dour. When you fail you literally abort the timeline and leave the world to ruin so you can live and fight another day in some other timeline. As part of ye olde classic “gameover - restart” loop it’s just so well realised. You feel the weight of your success and failure. It adds to the feeling that makes you want to be a better player.

Yeah, it’s really good.

4 Likes

Into the Breach is only vaguely like a chess puzzle in the sense that everyone is on a grid and everyone on the grid has a limited set of options and you know exactly what they are. I would argue it’s more like chess than a puzzle game because to me a puzzle game has a set solution whereas like chess Into the Breach requires you to make calculated sacrifices. A perfect run is more or less impossible and there are some turns where damage or loss is inevitable. In that sense, it’s much more freeform, there are rarely “ideal” plays because you will always have several ways to tackle a problem. I am capital T Terrible at chess and I adored Into the Breach and got every single achievement in it.

In terms of it being a tactics game, it depends on what you’re looking for out of a tactics game. This is not going to be like a Fire Emblem because unless you’re very into creating your own fiction, there is very little character or story to give a damn about. There are frameworks and suggestions, but I personally never cared about any of it beyond a nice background flavor. If the part of tactics games you like is positioning your pieces and plotting everything out, then this will satisfy in that regard.

Really the only downside I can find for Into the Breach, and this is a VERY personal problem, but once I hit the end of unlocks in a game like this, I just lose interest. Once I run out of personal challenges to tick off a list, I just don’t have the drive to do it anymore, I can’t spend countless hours in it if I don’t feel like there’s anything left for me to do. I unlocked everything in the game and just stopped playing it immediately after that. Now other people don’t have that problem, and I did get over 40 hours out of it according to Steam so it’s certainly a great value proposition either way.

5 Likes

these are good things to hear. i think i’ll give it a go.
i was hoping for it to be tactics after all; i’ve been kind of wanting one since i heard about that new srw original generation on ps4, but that was forever ago, and one i ultimately passed up for a variety of reasons.
e: clarity?

Should I get shin megami tensei 3?
I am really drawn to the art style, vibes and music. On the other hand I don’t love typical turn based can’t, although I do like strategy rpg stuff like Divinity Original Sin or tactics stuff. I like the idea of collecting demons right?
I’ve heard it’s tough and just dungeon crawling so will there be enough depth to the combat to get me through that stuff?

So SMT3 is a bit infamous for taking buffing and debuffing serious. There’s an early boss fight that’s designed to basically weed out anyone who does not want to take that into consideration. The game still has JRPG pitfalls when it comes to combat but it has somethings to make up for it in the form of the press turn system.

The press turn system is where every character in a fight basically contributes a “turn unit” so to speak and most actions use up a whole turn unit. If you score a critical hit or use an attack that is strong against a particular type of enemy it only uses half a turn unit that way you can get in more hits on your turn and is really how you win a lot fights. If you have played Persona 3-5 then it’s like that combat but instead you just get to keep taking actions instead of doing an all out attack with everyone in the group. Nocturne more or less set how combat is handled in most SMT games after it.

There’s also the demon negotiation system which I’ve always found fun and has the best bad dialogue but is not everyone’s cup of tea. It’s basically a short VN mini game where you negotiate with the demon you’re fighting. Sometimes they give you items, sometimes they join your party, and other times they just get a free hit in.

The common JRPG tropes are still plentiful in the form of instant death attacks and the press turn combat system is also there for your enemies so if they start hitting your weaknesses they’re going to start getting more moves in as well.

However the HD remake is getting what they’re calling Merciful mode which makes the game a lot easier (double damage, xp tripled, half damage received, quadrupled money ). You can also change the difficulty at any time so if you want to play on say normal then if you get stuck on a boss you can throw it into merciful mode to progress.

3 Likes

Is Disco Elysium fixed on PlayStation yet? I was thinking about buying it but I heard it was slightly on fire. Now that it’s on sale, though, it seems like a good time to jump in.

1 Like

There’s a devblog entry from ZAUM from April 9th talking about 7 sets of patches they released back then, which seem to mention a lot of fixes for PS. I don’t have it on PlayStation though so I can’t say if this fixed all the issues…

I feel like there was a conversation on the podcast maybe a week or two ago where someone (I think Gita) was playing on Playstation and said it had been fixed? But I may be misremembering.

Alright with the digital sale on the Nintendo shop almost over I wanted y’all’s opinion on which game I should pick up.
Zelda: BOTW- I’ve already played it when it was first released, but it might be one of my favorite games of all time. I played it on my Wii U so I don’t have a Switch copy or a way to play it anymore. Also if I get it I would get the DLC for it. So other than getting a motorcycle what does the DLC add?
Paper Mario- I’ve never fully played a Paper Mario game just played a bit of the original at a friends house whenever it came out and have seen bits and pieces of each of them.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - Now to a much more extreme RPG, but I’ve heard so many good things about this game. Also a long RPG might work well with my life situation where I probably will only be able to get one game for a few month period.
Empire of Sin - I just finished Fire Emblem and the return of Tactical Tuesdays have given me a real tactics itch lately. At a certain point even despite being on the difficulty everyone said to put it, Fire Emblem just wasn’t very challenging. Also I don’t know if I like it where each character is important to a story. I think I like the XCOM model where there is nothing really about them except what you add.
A final twist, Mario Golf - should I just sit out the sale and wait for Mario Golf? I LOVED the N64 version and would love to play a game like that again. I just feel like I haven’t really heard a lot about this new game.

I know I’m throwing a lot at y’all and I appreciate any guidance. Thanks!!

1 Like

My opinion… The BOTW DLC is hit and miss. The master sword trials give you a permanent Master Sword, while both give you new armors to find and equip. One of them does give you a korok mask which makes it easier to find seeds, so if you are interested in finding all 900 of them, that makes it easier. The new shrines in the 2nd dlc are cool. And you can get a medallion that lets you fast travel to anywhere on the map. Lastly, you get hero mode, so if you want the game to be harder, there you go.

Xenoblade Chronicles… I didn’t play the definitive edition, but the 3Ds version was good. The only thing I’ll say is that it took me close to 15 hours to leave the first village because there are so many side quests.

1 Like

I did not care for Empire of Sin the last I played it but it is on gamepass if you have that.

The XCOM 2 Collection is on sale on the Switch for $15 which is a great price to get everything IMO. What I will say however is that I would go look up reviews specific to the Switch version and some gameplay videos because it was kind of a rough launch like other XCOM 2 console versions IIRC.

2 Likes

@cdlawton It sounds like unless I just want to fully dive all the way back into BOTW it doesn’t seem like the right route. I kinda sounds like the DLC is all stuff to help you 100% the game.

I figured it would be long going off the usual JRPG length, but 15 hours in the 1st village is a lot. I’m not opposed to that though. How was the rest of the game? Is it more sci-fi or fantasy? I can’t get a good feeling on which way it’s leaning.

@Wazanator Thanks for the heads up on Empire of Sin. That’s a bummer to hear because it sounded super interesting. Also holy hell what a deal for XCOM 2!!! The only issue I’ve had with XCOM in the past is the base building part of the game. Austin and Rob don’t seem to be having issue with it so maybe it isn’t a big of a deal in 2 than the first. I just remembered after a certain point in XCOM 1 I would just hit a brick wall because I didn’t make my base correctly. My soldiers would be proper level and all that, but because I didn’t launch satellites or build this room in time I’m just screwed and everyone takes their funding away. I will definitely do some research on how it runs because I’m leaning towards getting that. Thanks!!!

I thought the rest of the game was really good. The story is pretty good. For me, the voices took a little getting used to. They aren’t bad, but they have thick British accents that make me feel like I’m watching Dr. Who.

As far as setting, I would say light sci-fi with some dashes of fantasy. Like, characters use swords and magic, but there are also mechs? But I wouldn’t say it leans heavily into sci-if either. If I’m comparing the two, tho, I’d say it’s more sci-fi than fantasy.

And regarding the 15 hours, that really was me doing every side quest. I like to try and clear an area of side-quests before moving on. The issue for me is that in completing side-quests, I would find more and more. But, I can say that most of them are your early 2010s style of fetch quests. They are mindless, and the result isn’t great. If you aren’t like I am, you could easily look up a guide for the best side-quests and follow that. Or leave side-quests behind and move on fairly quickly.

1 Like

I’m the same way when it comes to side quests so I’ll be spending a bunch of time in the 1st village too it sounds like haha. I’m glad it’s more sci-fi than fantasy. For whatever reason I just can’t get into a full fantasy setting. Thanks for answering my questions!

The base building in two is not nearly as complex as it was in the first. The first wants you to layout rooms for adjacent bonuses and while there is one room in particular in 2 that does this that can provide workers to adjacent rooms you will honestly reach a point where you have so many engineers that you probably don’t need it.

In my opinion when it comes to the base building in two there’s 1 room you take immediately and it’s then followed with another important low level room. After that it’s sort of build as you see fit except for the power station rooms which should (they don’t have to be) built on the alien power rooms because it gives you double power output. The psi lab and Shadow Chamber are also real power hogs so building them on top of these special power spaces also negates their power consumption which is nice.

That all said I think the base building part of XCOM can be really forgiving as long as you don’t focus build: laboratory, defense matrix, or workshop. If someone wants a build order guide for XCOM2 War of the Chosen I would be happy to provide one in the XCOM 2 thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a massive Xenoblade fan, but I’m always hesitant to recommend it because it’s a massive, massive game.

For me the sidequests were sincerely not a problem. The game is not very hard and levels you pretty generously, so you don’t need to do them if you don’t want to. Most of them are also convenient in that you don’t need to return to the quest-giver to complete them. Often you’ll finish one without realizing that you were doing it at all. Normal now, revolutionary in 2010.

And now for the good - it’s the most creative fictional world I have ever played a game in. Truly amazing environments and surprises that I still think about all the time. Personally I adored the voice acting. It’s cheesy and cute, but actually good when it needs to be. (They localized it for Europe but weren’t planning to bring it to America, so they just kept the British voices when they did.)

So, yeah, I adore it. Massive, massive game, though. You will think it is going to end soon like 3 or 4 times and it won’t.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the reasoning behind the voices, but this makes a lot of sense. I did get used to the voices, and I did really enjoy them by the end. It’s also a good reminder that most other people in the world have to deal with game characters sounding like they’re from Iowa all the time.

It’s pretty US-centric for me to even bring it up. We are all works in progress, I guess. :grinning:

1 Like

Oh not trying to flame you! I just liked it, it was different y’know? Valid to prefer otherwise I think.