The "Should I buy this game" thread

Ah, I didn’t take it as a flame. Just sparked some thought in my mind as to why it took me time to get used to it. It’s probably because I go into JRPGs expecting either American accents or Japanese voices. Just thought it was interesting when I took the opportunity to de-center my experience a bit.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear the base building/resource management isn’t a big of a deal. It really put a damper on my enjoyment of XCOM 1. Also I’ll say that I’d love a base building guide if you don’t mind. I know my anxiety is going to flair up and really hinder my enjoyment of the game if it wasn’t there even if I don’t end up following it to the T.

@Ryguy Xenoblade sounds really good. It also sounds a little daunting. I think that’s part of the charm of JRPGs. Going in and being a part of some huge world and story. Also it sounds like it’s more modern gameplay which has always been a hang up I’ve had when it comes to playing/finishing RPGs in general.

Thanks to everyone for all their input and help!

3 Likes

Yeah, gameplay-wise it’s similar to an MMORPG I’ve been told. (I have not played an MMO.) Big open spaces, world bosses, real time combat with skills you can activate. Definitely daunting. Good luck with the choice!

1 Like

So, Doki Doki Literature Club just came out on Switch. I’ve been intrigued by the game for years and have somehow avoided real spoilers. I never game on PC, so I’d been waiting for a console release.

But now I’m seeing some chatter about how some of the game’s big moments are designed very specifically for PC.

Without spoilers, can anyone tell me whether the game is still worth playing outside of its original platform? How much will really be lost by playing on console?

So, full disclosure, I haven’t played it on Switch, so I’m not exactly sure how they handled the sort of meta-textual(?) things it does that were definitely made with a PC in mind. But honestly I think those are still a pretty small part of the what makes the game good and interesting, and I will say (hopefully this is vague enough to not be a spoiler) that I felt like Undertale does similar things and its Switch port pretty effectively replicates the feel of those things. My overall feeling is that there’s a lot of worthwhile stuff in DDLC that should play perfectly well on Switch and it’s definitely worth experiencing even if those couple of elements aren’t perfectly replicated.

1 Like

Kind of a side question. I never played Undertale but it’s referenced a lot in indie game spaces. Does it still work in 2021? Or did I miss the magic window?

It still very much works. Might not be as novel as it was in 2015 but the stuff that makes it good ages well, as long as you have a tolerance for kinda zany humor and can ignore basically the entirety of its fandom.

3 Likes

Doesn’t land for everybody, but I still think it’s the funniest game I have ever played.

2 Likes

I actually just played Undertale for the first time a few months ago, so here are my thoughts. First, the music is amazing. Toby Fox is an incredibly talented composer, and every single song on the soundtrack fucking slaps.

Second, I can see the thread between Undertale and a bunch of games in the indie space that have been released since then. I think other games that were clearly inspired by Undertale have done what Undertale did better, but back in 2015, it was definitely new. So, just understand that while everything in the game still works well, as far as gameplay, story, meta-commentary, etc., other games have gone on and refined all of those things since. It’s still cool, I think though, to see something that clearly inspired so many people to make their own games.

Third, the battle system is all done using a bullet hell style mini-game, which was kind of rough for me. I don’t do well with bullet hell games, so I didn’t enjoy the battles that much.

Lastly… and this is just my perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. But, I consider Undertale fans to be in the same category as Rick and Morty fans. The product is good, but not the be all end all of media as much of the fanbase makes it out to be. In short, ignore Undertale fans… they’re actually kind of the worst part of Undertale.

5 Likes

Thanks Ryguy, diglett and cdlawton! I think I’ll give it a go soon. I’m mildly good at bullet hell shooters (the university arcade was a second home during exams for me) but this is a good heads up. I thought I’d play this as a bedtime wind-down, but bullet-hell is not that.

Thanks for the warning on the fandom! I try to stay out of those sorts of spaces anyway, but if I end up searching for things, I know what to expect and will have eyerolls prepared.

2 Likes

Do tell! Don’t want to debate at all, just would love it if you have a few that come to mind to recommend. I’ve been hearing Chicory get similar love lately, but I haven’t checked it out yet.

1 Like

I haven’t played Chicory yet, but I did watch a streamer play it, and it definitely looks dope af. It’s on my short list.

Off the top of my head, I would say Ikenfell, Rakeun, Roki, and Pony Island are all indie games that handle very similar themes to Undertale better. I’m referring to themes like loss, emotional distress, identity, true nature, and self-referential humor. To clarify, I’m not saying that these games wouldn’t exist without Undertale, but I believe Undertale’s success paved the way for many of these games to come along and deal with some of the same concepts.

2 Likes

I played Undertale last year! At that point I had heard a lot about mechanics of the game, but didn’t remember much. However, some of what i did remember absolutely influenced the way I played the game. I followed a guide to get particular outcomes and looking back, I think that ruined my time with it… I was a lot less invested in the game than everyone else I heard talk about it. I did have a couple of “oh shit” moments along the way, but it didn’t stick with me. I can absolutely see how it would hit a lot harder if you didn’t know much going in/didn’t follow a guide, so it’s probably worth it if that matches your background!

3 Likes

Not so much a “should I buy” but more of a “should I play”.

I have gamepass which means I have access to Humankind, is Humankind worth the time investment at this point or should I go back and play Civ or Stellaris instead?

I watched Austin and Rob play Humankind but let’s be real 2 hours is barely scratching the surface in this kind of game. Does the mid game and late game have a payoff or is it just more the same?

A streamer I watch (GamerZakh) did more of a deep dive into the game (you can watch on YouTube). He seemed to really like it. But they also put him in the game as a downloadable model, so take that with a grain of salt. He plays a lot of strategy games, and definitely had some problems with it, but he still made it look cool. If I had a computer that could run it, I would give it a shot.

1 Like

i just finished my first game of Humankind a few minutes ago and for the most part found it barely distinguishable from a game of Civ. The changing civilisations with each era thing mostly just felt gimmicky and inconsequential, and most other things that were noticably different from Civ were because they were worse. Not significantly worse, but just a bit clunkier and less intuitive. The narrator also sucks and the game gives you a bunch of inane popups each turn (and these often seem to straight up lie, like the game constantly telling me i was about to lose a war against a civilisation i had a close alliance with). If you want to check it out for free go ahead, it’s not a bad game overall, but if you just want to play a Civ-like, just play Civ.

2 Likes

So I really love it, more than I have any Civ since maybe my first time playing 4, for a lot of different reasons. Some big ones are, it’s emphasis on what I can only describe as build-making, like in an rpg, of finding and stacking synergies and bonuses really scratches my brain in an excellent way; and the map design, between the discrete territories and how they interact with city building, and the way cliffs and elevation impact how you move around, lead to a really dynamic and characterful world that you are constantly interfacing with.

The caveats are pretty big though. Mainly, it very clearly needed a few more months of work. Tons of bugs – though in my experience, mostly annoying stuff rather than, like, crashes – and in need of a lot of balancing. And it has the usual problem of, you have to spend a decent chunk of time in the game setup menus trying to figure out exactly what combination of map size and shape, player count, difficulty, etcetera, makes for the best experience. Because it really sings when you are under pressure from other empires who are close by and relatively equivalent in power to you, but it can be kind of tricky to get that to happen, especially once you start getting good at the game. My big tip is, absolutely do not start on the default difficulty, go up one or two notches to city or nation at least, it makes a huge difference in enjoyment.

That said, I definitely think you should check it out, given that you don’t have to spend 50$ or whatever. Especially because, the one of the things that is the most fun and the most different, that I still am excited by every time, is just the way the game opens. Starting out with 10 to 15 turns of exploration, having time to decide where the best places for early settling are, making first contact with neighbors, getting in low stakes fights without the fear of a big war, making your first big choices in how you build, all of that is just such a joy. And if you never get much further than that and decide you don’t like the rest, that much at least is worth trying out.

And my big tip for that era is, both racing for a first pick and early start, and waiting to make sure your first city is ideal and you have a large starting population of scouts, are strong, so don’t let yourself feel too pressured by time and the AI.

1 Like

There’s a few things on sale on my wishlist, all prices in CAD

A Plague Tale: Innocence for $12. Been on my radar for awhile and looks cool.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy for $5. Dare I, if I’m likely to play solo?

Metro Exodus for $15. Was a huge fan of the first two and have played each several times, although my feelings on LL had severely cool during my last go, which I guess tempered my excitement for this one a fair bit plus the Waypoint crew didn’t love it.

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun for $4.5. Looks like something I’d love and obviously quite cheap, but I still feel like I owe Invisible Inc more time and they’re going to be competing

Hardspace: Shipbreaker for $22. I can wait until it comes down some more.

E.Y.E. is good but you have to go in with the right expectations. It’s a bit old, it runs on Source so some of the larger environments are a bit lacking in fidelity, not all mechanics are explained well, and the story was written in French then translated to English. It’s definitely playable in English but expect some translation issues. In fact I would recommend reading the fairly lengthy backstory on their website. What makes it special is that the developers care really deeply you can tell for this world they made, I think it was originally a homebrew tabletop RPG that they decided to make into a game. All this to say is the lore and world building has a depth you just don’t see in a lot of similar “cyberpunk” type games of it’s scale.

I think the game is best experienced on a singleplayer play through so you can try and understand the plot then a multiplayer playthrough with friends.

3 Likes

It’s also really important to note that you’re not supposed to understand the spoken language anyone uses in E.Y.E. That confused me for a bit! :smiley:

1 Like