'The Sinking City' Developer Uses DMCA to Remove Its Own Game From Steam

The Sinking City was removed from Steam and other storefronts last year, the result of an ongoing legal conflict between developer Frogwares and publisher Nacon. Tensions between the companies have wildly escalated recently, with The Sinking City re-appearing on Steam without Frogwares' approval. Yesterday, the developer accused Nacon of hacking its game code and uploading an illegal version of the game to Steam. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epdw7p/the-sinking-city-developer-uses-dmca-to-remove-its-own-game-from-steam
2 Likes

DCMA used for anything good? This is a truly weird year.

6 Likes

Yeah, for basically its intended purpose as well. Truly bizarre.

This whole saga is so odd. Doubly so because it’s over a year and a half old game that wasn’t particularly popular or well reviewed on release.

So a bit of a side topic but I think worth bringing up since I’m sure there’s some people here who have had the misfortune of having their art stolen before.

Valve actually does a good job of taking DMCA take down requests serious which is good when you have places like the unregulated wasteland of the Steam workshop where someone might just take your picture and attempt to get it turned into a sticker in CSGO that they can profit off of. However Valve does not want to moderate, so while they will act on a DMCA take down request they will not act as a mediator. They will pull down the offending item and then anything you put in this form is getting sent to the person you filed the request against essentially doxing yourself if you are an independent artist who works from home. Depending on state/country you can use a PO box instead which is what I would recommend.

2 Likes

Whatever money Nacon is getting off these sales cannot possibly be worth the bad press and soured business relationships. Nacon is not some chop shop trying to keep the lights on every night, they’re a sizable publisher with dozens of games on Steam, mostly smaller games for the European market. It sure seems like they have a lot more to lose than gain with this nonsense.

1 Like

That’s a really good point, and the kind of perspective/angle I’ve missed in a lot of the reporting on this story as it’s been developing. On a similar note, the fact that there’s been an actual ruling in a French court of law on this issue is something that’s been glossed over in most of the coverage I’ve read, and that’s frustrating. Even though my gut feeling says Frogwares is in the right, I’d love to know what kind of bearing that ruling has on the actions Frogwares has taken in response to Nacon’s most recent shenanigans. Whether or not this will hurt Frogwares more than it’ll help, that sort of thing.