The Success of 'Mario Kart 8 Deluxe' Underscores How Badly Wii U Flopped

To many people, it's like 'Mario Kart 8' never existed before last week. Nintendo would be smart to take advantage of this.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/the-success-of-mario-kart-8-deluxe-underscores-how-badly-wii-u-flopped

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe almost makes me wish I never picked the game up for WiiU. This just seems like A Better Version in all ways, but I can’t justify spending 60 dollars on it when I already own the game, even if I own a version with less stuff in it.

At least I got Wind Waker HD for free, I guess?

There’s probably quite a few games that would vastly outsell their Wii U counterparts if they had Switch versions. They’re good games (MK8 carried me through a lot of travelling time this weekend), and to be honest I know a lot of people are just really hungry for more Switch titles.

yeah i mean the wii u was a massive failure duh.

E: when you sell worse than the gamecube, then you know something is wrong. It was a disaster from the start.

I’m beginning to think that a slate of ports (BotW being, in many ways, a launch-day port) would have been a smart move for Nintendo.

Heh. Just another frustration on my part as a late buyer for the Wii U. Heh. Although, I still really enjoy this older console and Mario Maker is a blast. It’s the console I can play with my daughter (until I inevitably get the Switch), and I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played of the original Mario Kart 8.

Too bad about that ol’ Wii U, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would fully support a re-release of most great Wii U games onto the Switch. I’ve already purchased Mario Kart, and I’d happily pick up some of the other classic Wii U titles.

Also, who wants some new Kirby and Metroid action on the Switch?

1 Like

I’m always pleasantly surprised how easy it is to find games of Mario Kart 8 online on Wii U, even after Deluxe came out. Feels like the few people who bought Wii Us are pretty dedicated to them.

I’m glad people are enjoying MK8. It’s a really good Mario Kart game. As someone who won’t be getting a switch anytime soon, I’m just sad that the WiiU version will now be forever lacking a tolerable battle mode. I hope Nintendo does re-release more of the WiiU library on the Switch though. Give some of those games a better chance.

45% attach rate on launch day is fucking bonkers

It pretty much underlines the situation of the WiiU: great games, but hampered-down by some very questionable tech and marketing decisions.

When I heard Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was coming out last Friday, I kind of scoffed at paying $60 for a port. But when I had multiple friends who owned a Wii U tell me it was the best Mario Kart in years, my resolve wavered, and I’m glad it did. I haven’t owned a Mario Kart since the Nintendo 64, and I had a bunch of fun playing this over the weekend.

I really hope they start porting over other Wii U exclusives. Mario Maker Deluxe would be killer.

I intend to get a Switch and a lot of my hope is that it can make up for games I’ve missed on Wii U, but also classics all the way up to the Gamecube.

Hopefully this leads them to re-release Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch.

1 Like

At this point i’ve pretty much mentally prepared myself for the reality that i’m just taking the L on the wii u and rebuying everything on the switch. Let’s just put Smash and Mario 3D World on there and call it a day.

I bought MK8 for Switch because I felt like if I owned a nintendo console I should probably have Mario Kart and I had some trade in value at my local game shop, but I was not hyped at all, didn’t think it would take my attention away from other stuff

3 days later I’ve played 150+ online races, I can’t stop. I won’t stop. I can’t wait to tether my switch to my phone on my lunch break at work tomorrow

1 Like