The Sunday Paper - Stories we should check out this week

When I was younger I used to wake up with my parents to read the Sunday paper. Fast forward to now, I wake up to read stories from around the net that I might have missed during the week.

I thought it would be cool if the community had a place to post articles that were interesting to them from the week. The articles could be from politics, tabletop games or anything you personally found interesting from the week.

So post the category and why it’s interesting to you ?

Tech

American Museum of Natural History is trying to stay relevant to the different generations with technology. Using AR and HTC Vives to enhance the visitor experience.

Transit
Toronto is having troubles with the company contracted to make their new fleet of streetcars

New York City has signal infrastructure from the 50’s in certain areas

Politics

The links between Cambridge Analytica, Brexit and billionaires

Social
Are humans too cognitively limited to be effective citizens in the modern world?

The Kekulé Problem - By Cormac McCarthy

Random
The Accidental Get Away Driver

I read a longish article yesterday about the troubles Toronto is having with the company contracted to make their new fleet of streetcars. Beyond always being up for a piece on trains, I was fascinated by its window into just how difficult it is to attempt a technological task on this scale—where problems can arise, the weird management struggles of international companies, and why people stay with vendors that have burnt them in the past.

Car parts are supposed to be mass produced to a standard so they can be fit together easily, but so many pieces have been delivered in non-standard sizes and shapes that a TTC engineer characterized the assembly of vehicles in Thunder Bay as being “hand-built.” A factory worker characterized it more bluntly: “They take f—ing hammers and they smash the steel into shape, like it’s a f—ing dwarves’ forge.”

I imagine building trains is about like building airplanes, literally nothing is standard and the things that are standard never fit right so you have to make them non-standard.

I saw this article on the New York Subway earlier this morning
In particular its about how the switching system used to coordinate the trains is still using technology from the 50s in many spots. I hadn’t really thought before about the difficulty of doing upgrades when hundreds of thousands of people are depending on the system operating 24/7

But Transport for London, the agency that runs the Tube, has faced obstacles, too. In 2013, it canceled a contract with Bombardier, a transportation company, over concerns that it could not complete signal work on four older lines on time, and started over with a different company.

Haha, it’s the same company from the Toronto article!

I read this as more hopeful than the headline and teaser might indicate:

My Sunday reading was this longform political piece in The Observer from Carole Cadwalladr talking about the links between Cambridge Analytica and Brexit, making the case that Britain’s electoral laws are sorely mismatched against obfuscated cyber ‘psychological operations’ that leave power in the hands of a handful of billionaires. Frightening stuff!

I’m very excited to dig into @Mezentine’s story about public transport! Transport is always fascinating to me.

Great piece by Cormac McCarthy on the unconscious/language. His first nonfiction piece ever!

Over the last two decades Cormac and I have been discussing the puzzles and paradoxes of the unconscious mind. Foremost among them, the fact that the very recent and “uniquely” human capability of near infinite expressive power arising through a combinatorial grammar is built on the foundations of a far more ancient animal brain. How have these two evolutionary systems become reconciled? Cormac expresses this tension as the deep suspicion, perhaps even contempt, that the primeval unconscious feels toward the upstart, conscious language. In this article Cormac explores this idea through processes of dream and infection. It is a discerning and wide-ranging exploration of ideas and challenges that our research community has only recently dared to start addressing through complexity science.

—David Krakauer
President and William H. Miller Professor of Complex Systems, Santa Fe Institute

Updated with the articles posted earlier