The U.S. Army Twitch Channel Is Banning People for Asking About War Crimes

The American military is getting big into esports. The U.S. Army has launched its own Twitch channel where members of its team stream Call of Duty: Warzone and interact with users on the site. The channel has videos going back two months, but things got spicy in the chat on Wednesday night when viewers started asking questions about U.S. war crimes.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7w38m/the-us-army-esports-twitch-channel-is-banning-people-for-asking-about-war-crimes
3 Likes

http://americasarmy.ca

Still relevant.

7 Likes

I have a sudden temptation to go get my first channel ban on Twitch… :thinking:

3 Likes

ive been out of the loop a little bit and reading US ARMY ESPORTS is doing a lot of psychic damage to me.

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking about getting into streaming maybe this should be my thing. Streaming while trying to get banned by the US Army.

1 Like

Come on, it’s just a meltdown for a forum comment! Give the man some slack; he is just a videogame streamer, he is not expected to be able to handle dangerous situation where the life of real people is decided by his actions.

Also the official comment misses the target so much that now I understand the reason behind all those civilian casualties.

1 Like

I made the terrible mistake of reading the comments to this article on r/games and hoo boy, there are way too many folks willing to defend civilian slaughter as a good thing.

4 Likes

Although this entire thing is ridiculous, this is the part that stood out to me:

“Team members ensure people understand what the Army offers through a realistic lens and not through the lens of a game meant for entertainment. This user’s question was an attempt to shift the conversation to imply that Soldiers commit war crimes based on an optional weapon in a game, and we felt that violated Twitch’s harassment policy.”

I mean, posting a wiki article detailing U.S. war crimes is by definition a description of “what the army offers through a realistic lens.”

11 Likes

The ‘imply’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this one, lol.

4 Likes

Unless someone tells them it’s China’s fault, then it’s a big deal.