UPDATE: Voting is closed and it’s officially Big Boy Season! I’ve created an Itch.io Jam Page that has more details on the jam, and includes a forum where I encourage you to post your ideas, provide advice, and group up to work together.
Hey everyone, It’s been a little over a year since the last community game jam (you can check out the awesome games everyone made here) and it’s about time for another!
The jam will start on July 1st, and continue through the month, and end on August 5th, to give everyone one last weekend to get things squared away.
Last year we held a poll to name the jam and the winner was ‘New Jam City’ since the Mario reference is less relevant this year, and there have been plenty of fun events, games, and Waypoint jokes in the past year we might want to riff on, I figured we could give the jam a yearly subtitle, and change the name to “The Unofficial Waypoint Community Game Jam 2018: subtitle here” to make it easier to find, and clearer in purpose. I’ve set up a poll to suggest/vote on subtitles here. Voting will be open until sometime on the 24th, then we’ll take down the poll and create the Itch.io jam. I’ll copy/paste my disclaimer from last year:
- Feel free to add new items as long as they don’t contain the name of any Waypoint staff, aren’t already on the list (I’ll be deleting duplicates by lowest votes first), and don’t contain any offensive or derogatory language (I’ll also be deleting those). Feel free to vote for as many as you like. The software I used was the only simple solution I could find that allowed users to add names and vote for multiple choices, so let me know if you experience any trouble with it.
Rules for the jam will be the same as last year:
- Your game’s title should be a title from Waypoint Radio (all episodes are valid, not just ones from the past year) OR a Waypoint Forum thread title.
- You may work alone or with a team, simply credit all members in the game and/or on the game submission page
- Your game should not feature Waypoint logos, art, or other content
- All content in your game should be original, or used with permission from the creator(s) and proper credit given. This can be in the game itself and/or on the itch.io page for your submission
- Follow the Rules and Code of Conduct outlined on the Waypoint community forum
- No NSFW games. With episode titles like “Don’t Kinkshame Grandma” this might be tempting but we want developers from all ages to be able to participate, so please err on the side of caution with this one.
- Respect the Waypoint staff, and Waypoint extended family. Avoid including members of the staff or personalities related to Waypoint in your game in ways that are disrespectful, or might make them uncomfortable. This is another one I’d ask you to be careful with. When in doubt don’t do it.
- When giving criticism make sure to highlight something you like as well, and consider asking a question about a choice or a bug rather than offering advice. Remember that all the entries were made in limited time and developers probably know about any bugs/things they could have done better, but just didn’t have time to fix/improve things.
- Submissions can be non-video games, like card or board games. Don’t let lack of programming knowledge or development resources hold you back.
- Stay healthy, the jam is a month long so that no one should need to crunch or overwork themselves. Remember to take care of yourself