The Unofficial Waypoint Community Game Jam 2018

I’m really happy with the time frame on this! <3 I’m going to do the best I can as my first jam game, but getting a whole month really helps in not feeling stressed and running away. :slight_smile:

I’ve been working on this for about a week now, and the game is currently pretty broken, but at least it boots up and it’s sort of playable? The system of enemies tracking down weapons, and shields, then other enemies and the player to fight barely works half the time, and once enemies are within reach of one another, the combat itself is very broken. I’m planning to overhaul the way enemies detect the player and each other, hopefully to make it less erratic.

In the meantime, some features that I’m currently happy with:

• The “circle” mechanic isn’t a circle; lightning strikes periodically somewhere on the map and starts a fire. The fire spreads indefinitely, eventually engulfing the entire map.
  • Bodies of water slow down the player/enemies, but naturally cannot be on fire
  • I’ve created a river tiling system using a single object with 5 possible sprites. The object checks for adjacent river objects, and adjusts its sprite accordingly. The plan is to potentially be able to create random and/or dynamic river systems.
  • Apples and miscellaneous animals populate the map. Animals can be killed, leaving behind meat, which can be eaten. Apples and meat can be cooked and eaten for more health gain.
  • Trees can be chopped to create firewood, which can be lit to make a campfire for cooking.
  • Bombs can be thrown to explode, and leave behind fire that also spreads.
  • Rain clouds periodically appear on the map, and put out fires.

What IF… the ground was gone?

I decided to go with something simpler, and instead work on making it feel good to play, right now it’s only got the essentials, you can move around and jump on objects, which are currently only shipping containers.

I had to spend some time reworking the majority of my player code because I found out that the character controller component does not take any simulated physics unless you calculate it all yourself, and that felt incredibly limiting, it also made jumping feel very stiff and binary which wasn’t great.

Working to feature various obstacle shapes and configurations as well as moving and / or swinging platforms, I have not dipped into Unity network features but it’d be cool to save course completion time on a leader-board.
And of course as gripping of a story as you can have about the ground suddenly being gone.

So I think I finally settled on the title “There are other shotguns” and I’m just going to aim for a good old fashion DM with just as many interesting shotguns as I can fit in it. Not exactly groundbreaking but it’s something I know I can at least finish this time.

I have my game in a playable state, with no known crashes to desktop. There are probably a lot of other bugs! I’ve had some folks playtest the game already, so this is officially version 0.3 I guess. I’d like other folks to try out the game and let me know what they think! If you would like to give feedback, please focus on the following points:

• How long it takes to “win”
  • Do any particular weapons feel overpowered?
  • Are there game systems that make no sense or are otherwise very obscure?

You can find the exe for my game in this drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qvF497FB5j8XcLXHHN_IiE-NoZE-j-B1?usp=sharing

Thanks for checking it out!

This is pretty awesome!

• The bow feels like the best weapon, I was able to easily pick bots off and when they did come for me I could easily just back peddle while shooting. Maybe disable movement while shooting?

• It took me about 5 minutes to win I would say

• The controls were kind of overwhelming at first. I never really found a use for food since I never took damage and I couldn’t see a reason to drop armor other then to replace damaged armor.

• There was no exit button

• The fire and lighting was an awesome idea and I like that bombs start fires as well

• Everyone can walk through the walls of buildings

Thanks for the feedback!! The bow has been nerfed a few times already (reduced number of arrows and reduced arrow travel speed, and the addition of helmets which prevent headshots) but I guess it still needs more of a nerf. Movement speed reduction/restriction sounds like it would be prudent; the claymore already slows down its wielders. Everyone can currently walk through walls because programming the enemy behaviour has proven quite difficult. Even now, enemies currently don’t pick up the contents of some chests even when they don’t have that slot equipped. I think that is the main priority for now.

Also there is actually already an exit button; I just forgot to write down what it was ^^; and currently armour doesn’t have durability; the only reason to drop armour would be to drop the leather armour for the stronger steel armour.

That’s not bad!

• The spreading fire is a nice way to keep things moving as it gets out of control.
  • I finished just under 5 minutes.
  • Having to drop things is a little unwieldy. Maybe picking something up could swap items instead of having to unequip them first?
  • I can’t speak to how strong the bow is because just after picking it up in my second game it crashed. Hope this isn’t too hard to fix!
Code Error

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_attack_axe:

Unable to find any instance for object index ‘121269’ name ‘’
at gml_Object_obj_attack_axe_Step_0
############################################################################################

stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_attack_axe_Step_0 (line -1)

Ah yeah I fixed that bug last night when it happened to me. It’s because weapons create a separate hitbox object when attacking, which follows the weapon. But when the weapon breaks midway through an attack, the hitbox loses its parent and can’t find anything to follow.

I’ll try some way of making swapping weapons smoother, but no guarantees I’ll come up with anything. Thanks for the feedback!

I’ve just released the complete version 1 of my homebrew RPG pen & paper system: MYNT. You can find it here: https://onegamedad.itch.io/mynt-an-rpg-system I’ll be submitting an adventure for the game jam which will use this system. I hope you enjoy and find this useful.

Just some editorial feedback for now but I hope I get a chance to try this with some friends as it seems like an easy to pick up and learn system!

On page 6 under “Everything has a cost” dies should probably be die and “cost as to be equal” should be a has.

On page 7 at the top “It’s not meant to be one where you fighting the GM” should be a you’re.

On page 8 you say to see Example1A but it is labeled Example1. In Example1 you have accidentally left a - in after the 1. Under “Twist Dice” you have a done instead of a down.

On page 9 " your moment carries you into a stack of crates" should be momentum.

Thanks for the quick feedback and copyediting!

I keep coming back to “Gravity Rush 2 Really Did Come Out This Year” because it’s so verbose and could be about anything.

Perhaps that’s a bad thing?

Never a bad thing. Verbose is good.

By the way, thank you to whomever purchased a copy of my RPG system. You didn’t have to, but it’s much appreciated!

Oh hey! I’ve been talking to folks on the Waypoint Discord about the Jam but I just realized I hadn’t actually posted to the thread.

I have never made a video game before (aside from some Applesoft BASIC mucking around in the late 80s and some Inform7 experiments in text adventures) and I tried doing the Unity2D tutorial a couple years ago and collapsed in a pile of vectors.

This time around, PROGRAM_IX on the Discord mentioned the Godot engine and the decent tutorial and the Python-esqe syntax managed to get me over the hump.

I can has a game!

I have a (vaguely) playable preview. I have a bunch of polish and bugfixing to do but the mechanics are mostly there and you can win or lose.

A couple of notes:

• There’s a bug/interaction in Chrome’s implementation of WebGL that sometimes makes the player avatar pull hard to the right regardless of input. I’ve got a possible fix for that which should be up later today.
  • The enemy behavior needs a ton of work.
  • The map is very incomplete and dumb.

Any feedback is appreciated!

yoooooooooooooooooooooo finally someone from my steam friends list shows up

Is anybody using gdevelop? I know my way around the program a little bit, but haven’t made a full game yet.

As a reminder there is roughly still 6 days left to submit, still plenty of time to get something done :slight_smile:

Hey everyone I made a game :smiley: