The Waypoint Redirect Rumble – Discussion Thread (We Have Our Winner!)

Oof. There are genuinely difficult decisions that will need to be made between practical, effective URLs and those that are more artful. How will I decide when boatjazz.org and waypoint.zone inevitably meet in the finals?

When they read vice.waypoint.austinwalkergames.games/com out loud on the podcast, I laughed super loud in the office and my coworker thought I was choking on something because of my attempts to stop laughing in public. It’s no boatjazz.org but this is my dark horse.

3 Likes

Danryckert.club has to win this whole thing. The fiction demands it.

i can explain the 2 URLs i bought.

poppliopals.moe is something i bought because around the release of sun and moon a lot of people were being very mean to popplio but when asked about popplio everyone on the podcast was pro popplio or thought popplio was cute. since popplio was my starter in moon i was super happy not everyone hated them.

thus poppliopals.moe. .moe because popplio is cute…

and dontmesswiththegohan.club is in reference to one of the E3 podcasts from 2017 where Austin and Patrick somehow stumbled into trying to remember the name to the terrible adam sandler movie “You Don’t Mess With the Zohan” and Austin said “Don’t Mess With the Gohan”

it’s .club because… that was the cheapest url they were offering lol

2 Likes

That’s one of mine. I don’t think any of mine need too much explanation (most aren’t even specific references), but in case this one does: in the early episodes of Waypoint Radio Austin was becoming increasingly self-conscious about and dissatisfied with his Facebook URL being austinwalkergames. People had been buying all these silly URLs, and I thought it would be fun to prod this insecurity of his. You know, like a bully. Anyway, I was browsing the available TLDs, and .games was just too perfect. As I went through the process of buying it and setting it up, I kept saying it over and over to myself in my head, cracking myself up more than I’d like to admit. At first I was just tickled by the repetition of it (which I later expanded on with the games.games.games… variant), but then I became a bit obsessed with the rhythm of it; the prosody. As I thought about it more, it felt like I could throw more at it, and that’s how vice.waypoint.austinwalkergames.games/com came about. It’s really intended to be read out loud; it’s meant to have a slightly relentless, confused quality to it – hence the /com, and vice.waypoint being the opposite way around to how it is in the real original URL (a detail that probably matters to no-one but me).

That’s my pretentious account of the history of the absurd URL I bought, and the thinking behind it.

7 Likes

I went into this knowing games.games.games.austinwalkergames.games…etc was going to be my fave as it has brought me such delight in the past, but gamingadvice.email has lifted my soul anew. What a simple gesture and yet so profound.

6 Likes

For the sake of accuracy it must be stated that I have reclaimed goblin.zone and the official waypoint redirect is pizza.goblin.zone. it remains my greatest shame and I apologise for wasting everybody’s time. Do not buy redirects drunk.

3 Likes

Good news, everyone! Voting has now closed for Round 1. You can view the polls over in the Round #1 thread.

The winners are:

Voting for Round 2 will open in approximately six hours.

Thirty-two polls… I’m suffering…

3 Likes

a bunch of heavy hitters gone immediately

this is a bloodbath

pinned globally #31

This is a sham. Danryckert.club is the rightful heir to the throne and no so called “vote” is going to change that. I demand a recount and a new, less good opponent.

3 Likes

A little sad to see the classic waypoint.zone go, but at least it it lost to a worthy opponent.

gamingadvice.email is going straight to the top!

2 Likes
unpinned #34

For those of you just checking this thread out, Round #2 is now live! This is going to be our biggest round, so there’s never been a better time to start redirect rumbling than now.

2 Likes

I forgot completely about skeleton.world and how much that just tickles me

1 Like

choosing between skeleton.world and goblin.zone is probably the hardest choice i’ve had to make this year

6 Likes

It’s a good thing we made the polls public so I can take notes about which way people go on the Skeleton-Goblin axis. Just for, you know, future records.

This could not be in less seriousness.

2 Likes

Lets go Boat Jazz! Show Two And A Half Men wwho’s bosssQ!!!

1 Like

not all skeletons are goblins, but all goblins have skeletons

change my mind

3 Likes

How goes gamingadvice.email keep ending up in dead heat races? Why is this the fate of such a good URL?

7 Likes