The Witcher's ‘Gwent: Rogue Mage’ Is a Fine Card Game and a Terrible Roguelite

Gwent, The Witcher’s in-universe card game, is good at what it does. In fact, it is so good at what it does that players of The Witcher 3 all but demanded a stand-alone Gwent game, with all of the additional cards and complexity that desire suggests. This want was rewarded with Gwent: The Witcher Card Game, a fully featured free-to-play competitive Gwent game. Gwent: The Witcher Card Game also received a critically lauded, commercially ignored single-player expansion, Thronebreaker, which ended the main game’s foray into the single-player space. Now, Gwent: Rogue Mage fills that void with a stand-alone roguelite deckbuilding variant on the popular card game. It, like the development of the first Witchers the game focuses on, is an interesting and worthwhile experiment. It is also a failure, which manages to be so much less than the sum of its parts.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4axv4q/the-witcher-gwent-rogue-mage-review

I really liked this review! I had been wondering about this game but think that if I get the Gwent urge I will look at Thronebreaker instead.

1 Like