The Zelda-'Twin Peaks' Connection is Real

I’m late to the party here, but I had no idea that ‘Link’s Awakening’ was directly influenced by David Lynch.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/the-zelda-twin-peaks-connection-is-real

Ummm how did I not know this??? Link’s Awakening was the first Zelda game I owned and played to the end as well, and it has remained burned into my subconscious ever since. I guess the influence isn’t overt, but the dream logic and general odd-yet-familiar vibe that permeates the game is clear indication.
Very very happy to know this now!

I also played Links Awakening first, and wonder if that’s part of why I hadn’t noticed this. When your introduction to the series is a bizarre one, you just take it as a given that the series operates this way.

Most likely. The next Zelda I played through was Ocarina of Time and I took it for granted that alternate universe Mario and Luigi ran a farm together.

elyts ni kcab emoc ot gniog si ekil uoy noitop der taht

Link’s Awakening was one of the first first-party Nintendo I can remember playing. When I later saw chain chomps in Mario 64 I was really confused: “woah why is a Zelda enemy here?!?”

clap
korotcO s’teL!