They're Finally Developing Another BioShock Game

Publishers 2K announced the founding of Cloud Chamber, a new video game studio. Firaxis veteran Kelley Gilmore will head the new studio, and its first project—a new BioShock game. “BioShock is one of the most beloved, critically praised and highest-rated franchises of the last console generation,” President of 2K David Ismailer said in a press release. “We can’t wait to see where its powerful narrative and iconic, first-person shooter gameplay head in the future with our new studio team at Cloud Chamber leading the charge.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbmmw4/theyre-finally-developing-another-bioshock-game

It is, indeed, probably a good thing that Ken Levine isn’t involved, but we’ll see what happens with this. I’m anticipating an extremely safe take that doesn’t try to evolve either the gameplay or the narrative storytelling approach of the series at all, but maybe that’s enough?

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m hoping for more but if the scope is something akin to Bioshock 2 I’d still be interested.

3 Likes

I’m one of the hardline “Bioshock 2 was the best one” types, so Levine not being involved is the hypest news you could give me

5 Likes

Am I the only one who doesn’t like the “Here’s a game that currently consists of a spreadsheet and some art” announcements?

9 Likes

Definitely not the only one.

“Studio working on follow-up to popular game” is something that should be assumed, not newsworthy.

I also loved Bioshock 2 (and I didn’t even get around to playing Minerva’s Den). It sucks that I can’t buy its remaster standalone on consoles. But even if this was a project on par with Bioshock 2… why does it need to be a Bioshock game? The settings of those games, particularly their politics, are not rewarding to explore or novel in calendar year 2019 and beyond.

3 Likes

I don’t wanna be that person but… we all agree this should have been given to Arkane Studios, right? I mean, c’mon.

5 Likes

my question is what ideology will they epicly own next

7 Likes

The newsworthy part is that this is a new studio working on the game, which also makes sense why they’re working on an existing IP. Risk mitigation and all that.

I mean…yes. I think Arkane is wholly owned by Bethesda and BioShock is a 2k license, but…yes. Somehow.

I mean in hindsight 2 was definitly the best of the group. The gameplay was more developed and fun than the first, while still being more crunchy than Infinite’s simplified direction. Ironic because Bioshock 2 was like the poster child “Who asked for this” direct sequel. The politics of each game ranges from muddled (1) to outright malicious (Infinite), but at least 2 exists in some middle ground where its easy to dismiss as stupid rambling. I haven’t play either of the first two games in years and years though, im half interested in how they hold up at least gameplay wise.

You know, I don’t think i’m gonna dismiss this one out of hand. Since Levine isn’t directing,

1 Like

I think if we want more immersive-sim-adjacent games it would be cool for there to be more than one major studio making them.

4 Likes

I hope it’s an ideology that centrist op ed columnists are always hand wringing about even though they have no chance of ever instantiating themselves in the world, like maybe Accelerationism.

1 Like

Hopefully this finally follows my dream where its a transhumanist robot society built underground.

My money’s on the ever nebulous “Populism”

1 Like

Apparently Corey May (of the OG Assassin’s Creed games) is one of the writers.

1 Like

The game doesn’t even exist and it’s already in the running for the second best one simply because Levine isn’t involved.

Hope this new team is up to the task. I really should install Bioshock 2 one of these days.

3 Likes

It’s Anarchism and we get to fight Mecha Bekunin.

3 Likes

The final boss is a two-headed fire-breathing mech with the heads of Trump and Sanders, since they’re both equally bad, of course.

7 Likes

Does anyone have a link to the collection of critical essays on Bioshock? I know the crew talked about it forever ago, but I’d like to share it with a few folks. Thanks in advance.