This Link-Themed 'Mario Maker 2' Stage Is a Brilliant Piece of Deception

We’re only a month or so into the introduction of Link into Mario Maker 2, early days for a community who always finds new ways to surprise. But it’s been a long time since a level made me cackle this hard. “LoZ: Twoll-light Princess [Troll]” from creator ~Chichiri~ is, in a sense, exactly as described: a Legend of Zelda troll level. And yet, its deception runs deeper than you can imagine, defying traditional expectations of trolling and transforming into sheer delight.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5xb7q/this-link-themed-mario-maker-2-stage-is-a-brilliant-piece-of-deception

I’ve only seen them on Carl Sagan 42’s channel but troll stages really seem to be a masterclass in “scripting” level logic just using the parts present in Mario Maker. Stuff like using Monty Moles to detect when the player walks past a certain point or the mentioned progressive powerups to react to Mario’s powerup state.

Does anyone know if Patrick played this level on Mario Maker Mornings and what episode it is? He called out a different MM level on the most recent podcast and it reminded me of this article (and that I still need to watch it)