Those Dragons Sure Are Ageing (Dragon Age Megathread)

I’m glad you’ve clarified some of this for me, since I don’t like to be walking around with misconceptions rattling around in my head. I’m still not interested in revisiting DAII, though. Like I said, I didn’t enjoy the time I spent with it based primarily on the setting and the limitations of the character you were tasked with playing. Still, it’s nice to know that (some) of the characters were more overt about their bisexuality than I either got to see or was lead to believe. Merril is kind of par the course, but that stuff with Anders is uh, pretty yikes-worthy if I’m being honest.

Anyway, I’m not particularly interested in continuing to talk about DAII, so I’ll let other people hoist that banner in this thread from here on out.

Nice one, the Hinterlands have been fucking miserable.

I moved forward with the story this evening and it’s sucked me right back into the game. Thanks!

3 Likes

I am just now hopping into this thread because I recently started to replay DA2 because I remember really liking it when it came out and I wanted to remember if it still held up. Skimming through this thread, I don’t see anyone defending DA2, so I would like to.

• I like that you can do all main missions and side quests in ~25 hours (IIRC). This makes the story pretty fast-paced and I’m more engaged with the quests because they are usually about the main plot or your companions. I also like that there are a limited number of maps because it makes me feel more connected to the city. Also, there are a lot of interesting synergies with team composition and character builds, so I want to play the game multiple times with different classes.
  • The class balance is so much more interesting than DA:O. In DA:O mages are the best tanks, best damage dealers, best CC, and the only healer, so anyone that isn’t a mage feels like a second stringer. DA2 has better, more interesting abilities for the Warrior and Rogue, so they are more fun to play.
  • I like the storytelling. I like the frame narrative, the time skips, the static setting, and the rags to riches story. I don’t generally like epic-scale fantasy stories, so I really appreciate how this story is on a somewhat smaller scale.
9 Likes

It’s also a really funny game I find. Like, yes, Origins and Inquisition have their funny moments but II brings up the banter level significantly. It’s almost like Dragon Age meets Buffy at times. I get that video game humor is super subjective, but it works for me.

5 Likes

See, this is me as well. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy a big epic story, but I’ve found as time goes on that I enjoy the smaller scale stories that really get to bring characters and relationships to the forefront. I like to have Big Important storylines to sometimes just be the background music to the more interesting dynamics that happen in a more intimate setting. This all just comes back to me wanting them to make a Mass Effect that takes place entirely on Omega or the Citadel, or some other random city/colony in that universe. Give me a small but more highly detailed world to really get to know!

3 Likes

Some of Sarcastic Hawke’s lines are absolute gold.

5 Likes

Wow, this is everything that I love about DAII. These are the reasons I played that game seven times.

That and the banter.

And the companions in DAII all have hot voices.
Or maybe I just spent so much time playing that game that their voices are all comforting.
Or maybe it’s the thing I have for Welsh accents and thirst for Gideon Emery’s voice.

All 3?

Yeah. Count me in on being won over by the humor in DAII. That crew had the best sass.

And the mashugana Bioware fans didn’t want a voiced protagonist.

…And Nicholas Boulton’s voice is also hot.

2 Likes

Voiced Protagonists are good, actually.

3 Likes

kicks down the door

AND ANOTHER THING, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE ARCHITECT? YOU’D THINK AT SOME POINT, KNOWLEDGE OF A “BENEVOLENT” ANCIENT MAGISTER ATTEMPTING TO CREATE TRULY INTELLIGENT DARKSPAWN WOULD COME UP. BUT NOPE, NARY A PEEP IN THE ENTIRETY OF INQUSITION.

Is he being retconned? Because that’s fine, I guess, but give me SOMETHING Bioware!

3 Likes

Has anyone here read the Dragon Age novels? Are they worth a read, and any particular place to start?

I enjoyed the first one and barely remember the second. I wouldn’t call them great works of fiction, but they’re fun trips in the universe.

Well, I can tell you the short story collection from Bioware’s writers is pretty good.