Time to play vidoe games

Vinny from Giant bomb doesn’t like Splatoon 2 cause it doesn’t respect his time he has to play it. This lack of time to play games is also seen with other games like long RPGs, System shock style games, and more. But I do wonder if games need to respect our time or do we need to change our time to a game?

Games can be long but I take my time with them even if I only played an hour and haven’t gotten to the meat of the game. That said if the pacing of the game makes it hard to work with the time you have than that something that needs to be fixed on the game side.

How is Splatoon 2 not respecting someone’s time ? Isn’t it on a timer ?

When Vinny talked about it he was not happy how some of the cool weapons and getting outfits was at level 4 and he only was playing for an hour since he taking care of his kid.

I find time has become a massive issue for me recently. A baby and just general life stuff means a gaming session can literally last minutes. I therefore have become more aware of many aspects of games that just don’t appear to be streamlined. Splatoon 2 is an interesting case, as the rounds are very quick so are perfect for me, but the faff when loading the game up or slow matchmaking I now find infuriating when in the past, due to having more time, it wouldn’t have bothered me much if at all.

I am somewhat of an extreme case though, I can literally just get one round in and then I have to stop. The Switch overall has been a Godsend for me, it is such a perfect system for my needs right now.

As for games generally, I don’t feel they need to change much for the average user. People are overall able to make the time to play/watch/read something if they are really interested in it. However we do have more options available to us now, so maybe games have less of a timeframe to make an impression before we get distracted by something else?

That’s more of artificially gating content in a multiplayer space. I never play MP games like that for that specific reason. Either give it to me up front or go home. I don’t want to have to play 6+ hours to get to the stuff I want.

On the other hand, something like The Witcher 3 provides lots of rich, interesting content so it never feels like a waste of time even though it’s a massive game.

Yeah I can see that, I tend to focus on the core game rather than the gated content these days so it’s not as big an issue as it is for me.

I think the biggest offender for me on this aspect is Xenoblade Chronicles, there is such a huge world completely marred by a flurry of annoying and uninteresting sidequests that I put the game down every 3 months. The same can be said of TW3 too, sniffing footsteps a lot of time just makes me annoyed and I have a high resistance to that stuff considering I mostly play JRPGs.

Considering your question in the first post, I think a fair deal needs to be struck. I am very forgiving to a game that is able to forge a pact of letting me assess what is relevant and what is not for my progression while a game that has important elements hidden in the most asinine of content just makes me hightail it out of here. I don’t mind random battles if the rate is fair and consistent, but at the same time I don’t want to have too many options or I’ll just end up playing it like a mindless drone with auto-battle engaged, one of the reasons I can’t deal with Bravely Default. I just don’t think the answer to respect my time is to make me able to trivialize important aspects of the game, I think it’s even more insulting overall.

More power for more experimentation, not less, is how I would put it.

I agree with @TheJames about gated content and it’s probably the main reason I’m also down on Splatoon 2. There are weapons I can’t buy until I grind to level 20/25/30 (can’t remember what the highest is), and my options for grinding are a) playing a thousand rounds of unranked Turf War, which I enjoyed for a while but got pretty old when it was all I was able to do, or b) playing Ranked so I can access the other three gamemodes while feeling disadvantaged because I can’t use all of the weapons.

I enjoy multiplayer shooters a lot (old TF2 player, now Overwatch and PUBG), and I wouldn’t mind this as much if say, there were unranked options for gamemodes besides Turf War (basically a TF2/Overwatch quickplay system), or if the gated content were just the clothes, or even if Salmon Run or the single-player gave XP for leveling up. But I have too many other things I could be playing to justify sinking as much time into Splatoon as I would need to to unlock all its content.

Never really understood how to feel like a game doesn’t respect my time. Such a weird way to phrase the sentiment. If a game is too big or requires too much time investment than i can give it then that’s, uh, life. Some things don’t work out, some games i just won’t get to play. I don’t know. I don’t feel that respect comes into it in any way, tbh that wording frames it like as if it were a matter of social courtesy.

I disagree, a game can disrespect a person’s time when the effort required results in an output that isn’t worth said effort.

For example, random encounters with too-high-rates don’t need to exist because they interrupt the flow of the game. Outside of a game like Dark Souls, I should be able to save where I want, whenever I want.

Consider something like Bravely Second, a game that takes all of the annoying aspects of JRPGs and seeks to get rid of the time-wasting. You can turn on and turn off encounter rates, go through battles at 4x the speed, save wherever you want, and create job equipment presets. I consider these time-wasters that got removed because the developer took an active interest in creating a game that respects your time.

That said, if it’s the “respects your time” phrase that’s weird, I feel like that’s just arguing semantics, which isn’t very interesting to me, tbh.

I should also add that isn’t the same as like, intense 40 member MMO raids, where the time-sink is part of the gameplay itself.

If the beginning weapons of Splatoon 2 were bad or terrible in comparison to the ones unlocked later one, then I would agree that time-gating the weapons is a bad thing. However, the lvl 1 Weapon, the Splattershot Jr. is actually one of the best weapons to use in game. Furthermore, the weapons earned in the first ten levels are considered to be among the best used in the game. The weapons that you do unlock are more about changing up the way you play. Snipers, Dynamo rollers, various-ranged shooters, and different blaster types can change up the way you play. The level cap for getting all weapons unlocked is 30, which is quite a ways away, but isn’t a very steep mountain to climb compared to the level 50.

I think what the devs built this game around is playing it in short bursts of time. Stages are constantly rotating, solo queue modes are quick and snappy to fight through, and matches are relatively shorter than most shooter multiplayer rounds. Even the ranked mode itself forgives losses much more easily than the first game, allowing you to slowly make your way up the ladder if that is your goal.

If the concern is getting money to buy things, then it’s as simple as going to play Salmon Run a few times to get the rewards that either grant you tickets or gives you extra gear that you can sell scrub for money.

There definitely are aspects of Splatoon 2 that are super grindy, probably more than it needs to. The new ability scrub system is extremely expensive and can take a long time to properly get the ability chunks you need. You can decrease the grind a little the week before SplatFests as scrubbing the SplatFest shirt is 10x less expensive, and it’s the most efficient to scrub after getting the first ability due to how EXP scales per level.

I find Splatoon 2 is a lot more relaxing to play. It changes up the the systems from the first game that makes it better to slowly pace through.