Tips On Buying A Graphics Card In 2019

Hello, troublemakers of the Waypoint forum. I am looking for some advice on purchasing a graphics card in 2019 and, frankly, don’t really know where to start and assumed a kind nerd would share their knowledge with me if I asked nicely.

Some caveats and fun facts for you all to bear in mind:

• I built my PC in 2014 and bought (relatively) cheap parts to do it because it was my first build. I’m familiar with websites like PC Part Picker, but just wanted to check in with some solid opinions.
  • I am currently using a Sapphire - Radeon R7 260X 2 GB Video Card
  • I am based in the UK if that affects your purchasing recommendations.

I’m fairly open-minded about my budget but am probably looking for something mid-range. I have an i5 Intel processor which will likely need upgrading in the near future, so something gives good value for money would likely suit me well.

I’d usually do this sniffing around myself, but I am aware that cryptocurrencies pushed up the cost of GPUs pretty significantly in the last few years, so I’m not sure what ‘good value’ looks like anymore.

General advice or something more specific would both be well-appreciated.

A GTX 1060 6GB is probably what you’re looking for. It’s in the $250-300 USD price range, runs modern games great and should last you quite awhile.

I have a 970 and I have yet to come across a game I have problems running on mid or high.

Your i5 probably is going to be your next bottle neck and the issue there with replacing means replacing not just also your mother board but also your RAM.

fwiw, crypto’s effect on the graphics card market has almost completely subsided, as far as I can tell, so don’t be too suspicious of the prices you’re seeing. I tend to keep an eye on slickdeals dot net when I’m looking for new computer parts, and I’ve seen graphics cards pop up at discounted prices all the time over the last few months.

Anecdotally, I spent a lot of time looking at this wave of cards from both producers, and the NVIDIA cards in the same price range as the ATI cards were significantly more powerful and significantly less power-hungry almost 100% of the time. I went with an 8GB 1070 right before the boom and have been extremely pleased with it.

I am balancing between this and @kcin’s suggested 1070. There’s some very competitively priced 1060’s on UK PC Part Picker (this one is very tempting at £200 – there’s one from MSI for about the same price point). They both seem to review well and be generally well-praised & this is clocking in about £50-£100 lower than I was expecting to pay. I’m leaning towards the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G (the former of the two links), but not sure if I’m missing something there…

I’m a little unsure about if I’m trying to skim too much off and will end up regretting that, so I suppose now is a good moment to see if I might be wrong in my thinking.

When I was initially purchasing, ATI was pitched as a more cost-effective option, but between issues with their drivers and the cost-effectiveness of NVIDIA, I’m definitely not wedded to sticking with them for a second time. I’d definitely like my Overwatch patches to stop randomly causing crashes…

Also take a look at the GTX 2060 that was just released. At 350, it’s not crazy expensive. And gives a decent boost over the 1060/1070. Plus it’s the new ray tracing technology.

If you look at the top of the chart on Passmark, it really seems like the best bang for the buck.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I’m still trying to work out how to best “fix” my computer issues (I think there’s a loose connection on the motherboard, somewhere near the memory, as I get random crashes, mostly in the GPU drivers…), so this thread is useful - I also have mostly stuff dating back to 2014 or before so I’m going to have to replace basically everything if I go for a fix…

For what it’s worth, I went for the Gigabyte GTX 1060 based on y’all’s guidance along with tips from some friends.

Gonna pop a timed lock in case someone wants to swing in before it arrives to let me know I’ve made a huge mistake

I hope it’s okay to piggyback this thread, but what are the risks of a used card having been a miner? I try to buy all my electronics used, but it sounds like some number of GFX cards have been burned out from mining and I don’t really want to waste scant money on a duff.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.