Top 5 Video Games You're Excited For And Why

Hey, let’s take a moment to share and promote some games you can’t wait to get, with others! Like an open forum, if you will.

Do a list of 5, with a short blurb after each explaining why the game has you excited!

Celeste - I’m so excited to have a solid platformer to really sink my teeth into, and this one has beautiful music by Lena Raine. It is my most anticipated game. I definitely do not have a song on the soundtrack and am not biased in any way.

Metroid: Samus Returns - Nintendo looks bad for this, but if I didn’t support a new 2D Metroid I would be betraying everything I’m about.

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus - Fuckingggg do I even have to say why, also best trailer of E3

Where The Water Tastes Like Wine - an incredible lineup of writers on a beautiful, surreal-looking narrative game.

Super Mario Odyssey - This game looks absolutely wild, like Nintendo is really going for it again, and the jazz song was so adorable it made me cry.

Also my real answer is Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan

What a good thread idea! Those last three especially excite me, though I’m not looking at anything in regards to Where the Water Tastes Like Wine as I want to discover it for myself whenever it comes out!

Anyways:

• Super Mario Odyssey - The idea of an even more open Mario game has me incredibly excited.
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Mario XCOM, looks dope.
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus - Nothing but biased hype over here.
  • That XCOM 2 Expansion - I know nothing about it other than it supposedly adds a lot to XCOM 2 and that’s more than enough reason to be excited. Should probably look up the name though.
  • Tooth and Tail - Simplified RTS made by the Monaco crew featuring tiny mammals. That just about ticks everything off as far as I’m concerned.

Well lets see…first off

Need I say more? The first game is so good.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I really like Rockstar games. I know their are a lot of problems with the content within them but also, not a single game that I have played from them Red Dead Redemption included that I haven’t enjoyed greatly.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Ace Combat > Metal Gear as discussed here
(It is actually not discussed there).

Darksiders 3 - I like the 4 horsemen story, I like monsters, I like that weird comic art style, I like Darksiders.

A Way Out - This looks good & like something both my partner & I can enjoy together.

I’m very excited for:

XCOM 2: War of The Chosen - I’ve played through XCOM 2 three times now (twice vanilla and one long war) and I can’t wait for an overhaul of the game. XCOM 2 is easily one of my favorite strategy games and I’m desperate for new content.
Middle Earth: Shadow of War - micro-transactions and dumb multiplayer stuff be damned, I want to fight some orcs and make some new friends/nemeses.
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus - I was pretty excited for this game when it got shown off at E3 and my excitement has only grown since then for obvious reasons.

I’m ashamed of myself for being excited for:

Star Wars Battlefront II - The first game was a ton of fun for about 5 hours but was super disappointing when I realized that I had kind of touched all the content in that short amount of time. I’m excited for the story but honestly I just want those space battles.
Assassin’s Creed: Origins - I know I’m idiot but I think it looks pretty cool. I love Ancient Egypt and can easily see myself just hanging around in the game just to be in that time period.

This is a judgment free zone!!! Be excited!

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
For those who don’t know, Mount & Blade: Warband is a feudal military-sim where AI factions are constantly battling and politiking for resources and lands. There is an economy and reputation simulation also occuring. A lot of the game is just chasing down bandits and armies in an over-map, but this is paced out with third person. real-time, large-scale battles.
This sequel is rumored to add a lot more nuance to the simulation aspects and increase the amount of soldiers on the battle-field dramatically. There are rumors that any village can grow into a castle (and maybe even a town) based on whether they are protected from raids and have the resources they need. In the previous games villages, towns, and castles are static and unchanging with the exception of prices of goods and which faction they are ruled by. Supposedly you will have more options for commanding troops and you’ll be able to assign companions jobs such as telling them to stay in a village and extort peasants. Super excited.

UFO50
I loved the format of 50 Short Games and I love Spelunky so I’m keeping an eye on this. The concept of making a bunch of lost games from a fictional video-game company in the 80’s and 90’s is attractive to me.

Battlefront II
I’m a StarWars fan and the single-player campaign looks like it might have as good of a story of at least Rogue One.

Far Cry 6
I haven’t played a Far Cry since 3 and I think I’m ready for a new one. I’m interested in the setting and I’m secretly hoping they will have a populated battlegrounds mode (I haven’t played Plunkbat).

Blue Reflection: I know next to nothing about the game but I’ve listened to the soundtrack about 1000 times and it’s amazing. Only reason I’m excited is that we might get an official release here in the states, or at least a sound selection.

Super Mario Odyssey: It looks to be doing for Mario what Breath of the Wild did for Zelda, which is turn the craziness up to 11 and do something relatively fresh and new with the franchise using younger studio talent.

Absolver: Awesome looking, crazy in-depth combat system, though I don’t know how all the pieces work fit together. Art style is pretty as well.

Everybody’s Golf: It’s cute and it’s golf which is a game too expensive and elitist for my black ass to play in real life.

Assassin’s Creed Origins: Being part egyptian makes it interesting me, seems to mix up the formula enough that it’ll be worth looking at. The last one I played was 2 so I haven’t experienced AC burnout like other people.

Weird choices and I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff off the top of my head (like Danganronpa V3 and Windjammers, I just realized), but these I’m excited enough for.

Obligatory Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag recommendation

Fire Emblem Switch
I dig the series, and this one will presumably not be as experimental as Echoes (which I skipped), so I’m totally getting it once it comes out, since I should have a Switch by then.

Shin Megami Tensei Switch
One of my favorite JRPG series, so even if it’s not a “main” game, it’s easily one of my biggest reasons for wanting a Switch.

Bloodstained
I was super late to the Castlevania series, but I enjoyed what I played of SotN, and the newer footage of the game seems more promising than the first demo, so it’s looking more likely to turn out to be a good game as opposed to certain other Kickstarter projects.

Metroid: Samus Returns
There was a point I was wishing Nintendo would make a Zero Mission-esque remake of II, but this one seems to go further, and I really liked what I saw of it when it got announced.

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki III/Trails of Cold Steel III
The eighth game in the best JRPG series ever, looking to have a ton of improvements over the last two games, and literally the only game this year that might rival Nier Automata for my personal GotY.

good good choices. that reminds me that I need Fire Emblem Warriors injected directly into my veins.

Monster Hunter World
i’ve always been interested in the monster hunter series but shied away from it due to the difficulty and time commitment. however, with this game i’m tempted to finally get into it! it would be nice to have another game that i can play on the PS4 other than persona 5 and i really like how they seem to have gone all out on representing the ecology in this one.

The Good Life
i just like games with cats in them, okay?

Cattails
same reason haha

Ooblets
this game looks super colorful and fun! i love pokemon and things similar to pokemon so this is one i’ll be watching as it continues development.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Expansion
ok…this one isn’t a full game but i don’t really play that many games and i’m REALLY excited about this. i played the demo for the expac last weekend and had such a great time. the new maps are so detailed and it really feels like every new mechanic belongs in the world. super excited about where the story’s going, too!

@eightbitsamurai wow, that soundtrack is incredible. i have a feeling i’m gonna be coming back to this playlist a lot

It’s phenomenal, I’m hopeful it gets some attention closer to its English release because regardless of how that game is or how it plays, it’s one of my favorite videogame soundtracks in the past 5 years.

Good pulls here so far! So much stuff comes out nowadays that it’s impossible to keep up with.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm/Life is Strange Season 2- Somewhat nervous about how Before the Storm is gonna turn out, but I can’t help but be excited about anything having to do with Life is Strange.

Vampyr- Another thing from Dontnod, not sure what to expect here, an RPG about being a morally ambiguous doctor vampire? Sign me up.

Cuphead- It’s been so long I just want to see how it turned out at this point. Maybe it’ll be fun too?

Super Mario Odyssey- Do I need to explain why?

Ooblets- This game just looks weird and cool. Could scratch the Pokemon/Stardew Valley itch at the same time.

Whatever number the new Dynasty Warriors is because sometimes I just need to beat up a lot of people using weird weapons

Fire Emblem Warriors because sometimes I just need to beat up a lot of people while being anime as hell

Wolfenstein The New Colossus because sometimes I just need to kill a lot of nazis

Assassin’s Creed Origins because sometimes I just need to assassinate a lot of people while in Egypt

Ooblets because it’s really cute

Sonic Forces - i’m down as fuck to create my own sonic character even though this game is definitely gonna blow
Battle Chef Brigade - iron chef is the second best tv show ever made (after Columbo, obvs) and i’m really down to play it as a video game
Pokemon Ultra SuMo - sumo was good and ultra means its better
Dragon Quest XI - dragon quest is good as hell and i’m ready for that grind
Dragon’s Dogma 2 - look i couldn’t think of a 5th one but its real and no-one can tell me otherwise

Holy crap, everyone keeps mentioning games I really want and I feel stupid for forgetting them!

That’s what I made the thread for buddy! :smiley: We can just check back here now

Danganronpa V3: 3rd mainline game in the Danganronpa visual novel series. DR2 is one of my favorite games ever and I’m very excited for the new one. It’s supposed to be disconnected from the narrative the series had built up, acting as a reboot of sorts. The director of DR is known for lying and misdirecting though so I’ll believe that when I see it lol. What little I’ve heard about this sounds like it’s going in a pretty bold direction so it should at least be an interesting game.

Shin Megami Tensei HD Project/Switch: I wasn’t much of an SMT proper fan(only Persona really) until I played and LOVED SMT4A last year. Went back and played more of the mainline games and am now way into the rest of the series. A new entry using the gorgeous 3D demon models from P5 should be stellar.

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana: I’m no Ys aficionado but I do like the ones I’ve played and all impressions of this game have been people saying it’s the best on yet. The biggest improvement is supposedly the narrative which people have been saying feels a lot more like a Trails game (Falcom’s other big series, more on that below) which is maybe the best thing you could say about a game story for me. Fast ARPG gameplay, nice looking world, wild boss fights, and a much improved narrative? Incredibly excited to see how it turns out.

Dragon Ball FighterZ: I mean, come on. It’s a versus game. It’s the best looking DB game ever. It’s ArcSys. It’s perfect.

Trails of Cold Steel 3: This is the big one. I haven’t been as excited for a game in years and years. The best JRPG series going is about to get the best entry yet, I truly believe that. Everything they’ve shown so far has been on point. Amazing new character designs, wild story teases, improved and expanded combat systems, visually looks 100x better than the previous game. My “hype” for game releases has died down over time, it’s just more of a natural thing now. If I’m interested in something I note it and play it when it comes out. I no longer check every piece of info, obsessively watch every trailer, or read theories much anymore. Not true with this one. I am OBSESSED with it and gobble up every little thing I can. It hasn’t been announced for NA yet but it’s just a matter of time until it happens. Until then I am waiting, excited beyond belief.

For some reason I struggle to think of five games. Not much announced that I’m super excited about right now.

Red Dead Redemption 2.
After GTA5 I’m a little worried about the quality of Rockstar’s games, but RDR is such a gem, I can’t help but be excited. If nothing else, does environments will be a joy to ride a horse through.

Dragon’s Dogma (on PS4)
Hey, this game is five years old, but I haven’t played it so I’m looking forward to that.

Wolfenstein 2
It’s not day one or anything like that, but I think the first game is really good so I’m excited enough. More interesting FPS games, please.

Uhmm… maybe I’m forgetting something, but there really is nothing I just can’t wait to play.

My list is very similar to others, plus my gaming time is now spent on the Switch pretty much exclusively, so:

Mario Odyssey
Mario vs Rabbids
Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I didn’t play the first one but was intrigued by it and am hoping the sequel scratches the building itch that Minecraft fails to (with me, I keep trying)
Lost Sphear I really liked I Am Sestuna, so am excited to see what the team does next
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I didn’t complete the first one on my 3DS but pumped hours and hours into the game, so this is likely to be an auto-buy for me