Trade paperback suggestions

I drive quite a bit for work and I just bought kindle so that I can read in my free time while I’m not driving and sitting idle. I was hoping I could get a few suggestion on some trades to buy digitally. I usually read DC titles and I buy most of the Bat Family titles at my LCS. Along with Paper Girls so I’m caught up on those. I’m down for all suggestions, Marvel, Image, indie, etc. Thank you!

You 1000% percent need to read Deadly Class. I don’t collect much anymore, but I have to read Deadly Class. Absolutely gorgeous, extremely emotional, fantastic action. They’re 5 trades in and each arc has been absolutely wild - I’m surprised I don’t hear more talk about it.

And Saga of course.

In no particular order:

Southern Bastards

Bedlam

Sex Criminals

Low

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

DMZ

Not sure how great any of this is on Kindle grayscale as I’m a tablet girl when it comes to comics. A few recent classics:

• Lumberjanes (Boom) for kids exploring the world.
  • Phonogram (Image) if you like indie music fantasy.
  • Sex Criminals (Image) for sex and crime.
  • Saga (Image) for the space opera.
  • The Wicked + the Divine (Image) if you liked Phonogram.

I’m not incredibly well-versed in comics but Saga is probably the best independent series going on right now. Written by Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man & Ex Machina), and it has absolutely beautiful art by Fiona Staples (I also hear her Archie series is quite good too!). It has some of the most creative sci-fi world building I’ve ever seen, but really at the core of all the warfare and super trippy alien designs are really well written characters, and that’s what’ll keep you reading issue after issue. It’s pretty funny at times too!
I’ve heard good things about Snotgirl, Bryan Lee O’Malley’s new series, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I’ve also read the first TPB for the new Ms. Marvel and I really enjoyed that and should probably read more of it.
EDIT: I second what Shivoa said, Sex Criminals is quite good as well!

Everything @Shivoa said is right on.

Suicide Squad by Ostrander: These comics are part of the reason I love old DC so very very much.

Invincible by Robert Kirkman: More modern take on Superman and teen angst. Some commentary on comics as well.

The Matt Fraction/David Aja run of Hawkeye from a few years back (2012 I think?) is one of the best things Marvel has published in years.

It’s all about Clint Barton’s “days off” from being an Avenger, when he’s just dealing with relatively smaller-scale problems like keeping his neighbors from getting evicted by Russian mobster slumlords, saving/adopting a dog who loves pizza or getting Tony Stark to help him hook up a DVR. The writing is super sharp and hilarious, the art and layout are phenomenal and the whole book just has a ton of heart to it. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Lots of great recommendations here.

I recommend Nameless which is Grant Morrison’s latest. Excellent nonsense in the mould of The Filth and The Invisible, and even better it stars a grumpy Scottish detective and the first issue starts in the Botanic Gardens in fair Glasgow itself.

The art by Chris Burhnam is absolutely insane (spoilers for grossness)

Some great rec’s so far in here. Besides backing Saga i’d suggest checking these out as well:

Descender - sci-fi space tale with beautiful watercolor art
Tokyo Ghost - cyberpunky goodness
Ex Machina - Brian K. Vaughn’s take on a great superhero
Hellboy - Recently got into this and its stellar
Monstress - wonderful art and great atmosphere

Hope you find some you enjoy!

Warren Ellis’s secret avengers run is pretty incredible. Also Planetary is damn special.

Chew is an excellent book with a great streak of humour.

Manhatten Projects is an excellent sci-fi alt history that proves alt history doesn’t have to be anything like real history

The below are all single volume, self contained collections that I’d recommend to just about anyone.

• 100% by Paul Pope - Three separate but interconnected romantic stories, set against the cyberpunk backdrop of 2038 Manhattan.

• BLACK HOLE by Charles Burns - In 1970s suburban Seattle, an STD causes sometimes subtle, sometimes grotesque, but always irreversible mutations in teenagers.

• ASTERIOS POLYP by David Mazzucchelli - After a lightning strike burns up his apartment, an arrogant architecture professor relocates to a small town in the American heartland to rebuild.

• SECONDS by Bryan Lee O’Malley - The head chef at a prospering restaurant obtains the ability to fix her past mistakes, but creates more problems for herself.

• DAYTRIPPER by Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon - A series of days from across the lifespan of an aspiring author, which are always his last.

• KING CITY by Brandon Graham - Joe the catmaster, his best friend Pete, and his ex Anna live in an underbelly of a town run by spy gangs and dark dark magic.

• SACRED HEART by Liz Suburbia - The teens of Alexandria are trying to keep their makeshift society together until their parents return from a mysterious four-year religious pilgrimage, but a terrible reckoning is coming.

• DESOLATION JONES by Warren Ellis & JH Williams III - A retired MI6 field agent is private investigator to the secret underground community of ex-spooks permanently exiled to Los Angeles.

• V FOR VENDETTA by Alan Moore & David Lloyd - In fascist, post-nuclear war England, a masked revolutionary mounts an elaborate and theatrical campaign against the police state.

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi: basically the authors memoir of growing up in Iran. Its a really interesting look at one persons experience during the Islamic Revolution.

Miracleman by Alan Moore: this will be a bit pricy to get all of it but its by far my favorite comic. The backstory of miracleman as a license will take way to long to explain but to tldr it he was bootleg captain marvel for Britain had pretty much the same story kid who turned into a superhero with a magic word, had a family with similar powers etc. But what happens during Moores run is that it places Miracleman real name Micheal Moran as an adult in 1980s Britain, married to a wife, having forgotten his superhero career, yet having headaches and dreams of flying every night. During a terrorist attack by random chance he remembers the magic word kimota which turns him back into Miracleman. After that the series goes into numerous really strange and weird directions, but by the end it goes from being a gritty deconstructionist story to a very interesting and beautiful work of Utopian fiction, going off the idea of how a superhero would try and fix real world issues.

Gotham Academy by Becky Cloonan, Karl Kerschl, and Brendan Fletcher: this may be a hard sell, but Gotham Academy is a comic book about a group of teenagers attending school within Gotham City, at a prep school, and in doing so getting involved in a ton of Harry Potter esque hijink. It manages to be a pretty fun and endearing series with tons of fanservice to Batman minutiae matched with an absolutely great set of characters who play off each other.

Seconding Seconds

Ooh I have one.

Fell by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith - Fell is a pulp/noir story about a homicide detective who ends up working in a very strange city populated by violent shut-ins, lazy beat cops, and one creepy nun. Some of Ben Templesmith’s finest work is on display here with every panel dripping with atmosphere and sleaze. Fell is another victim of Warren Ellis’s computer failure in 2008, when his hard drive completely fried and tons of work and backups were lost. So don’t expect the book to continue, but it’s a hell of a ride all the same.

Fell is excellent, I love the fact it’s a proper 3x3 panel restriction thing. When I was brand new to twitter I once tweeted Templesmith about a continuation to Fell and he said he’d love to, if Ellis ever got back to it. Real shame they didn’t.

Gonna sound like a bold and wildly odd choice, but if you can get down with some light happy comics, I’d totally put forward the Groot mini-series. It’s written by Jeff Loveness and drawn by Brian Kessinger, who works as an animator at Disney so it very much has a Disney visual, and its basically like a roadtrip story, wherein Groot wants to travel to Earth to meet with someone but along the way, meets and helps out a variety of people. The gist of it mostly is showing how he’s the heart of the team, and how he helps out all the strangers that he meets. That all makes for a very nice uplifting story.
Alongside that though, it has some absolute gutwrenching stuff around how he can’t talk to people, because obviously, he can only say ‘I am Groot’, and about how he ended up being the only tree-man walking around the wider galaxy.

But yeah, its a gorgeous comic, its all on Marvel Unlimited and you can probably find the single collection pretty easy.

“Good news, everyone!” All the Alan Moore Miracleman is now back in print! It’s available as three volumes, A Dream of Flying, Red King Syndrome, and Olympus. The hardcovers run 20-25$ a piece. The following run written by Neil Gaiman is also once again available as a singel volume titled “Golden Age.” A follow up arc called “Silver Age,” to be written by Gaiman, was solicited last year, but indefinitely postponed before it’s release.

Seconding Persepolis. The expressionism in Satrapi’s art style makes for some absolutely stunning pages: