‘Tunic’ Finally Got Me to Stop Playing ‘Elden Ring’ Every Day

Some of the earliest gaming memories have nothing to do with actual games, but the colored paper inside the box—the instruction manual. That ride back from the store, new game in hand, was electric, the instruction manual a window into what was waiting at home. It was an era before trailer (Reveal! Story! Gameplay! Final!) bombardments, or multi-year marketing campaigns. Even the biggest games were largely a mystery before you had a chance to play them, and the instruction manual teased the adventure that was to come. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dg49q/tunic-finally-got-me-to-stop-playing-elden-ring-every-day
1 Like

Hot diggety ding dong that fox is adorable. Installing now.

Some of the earliest gaming memories have nothing to do with actual games, but the colored paper inside the box—the instruction manual. That ride back from the store, new game in hand, was electric, the instruction manual a window into what was waiting at home.

I remember getting Paper Mario as a child and not being allowed to play that night because we got home too late. I consoled myself by poring through the instruction manual multiple times and having the most vivid dreams about the game that night. Can’t remember a one at this point but the experience has stuck with me for years.

As for Tunic, I’ve been very excited about this game for a very long time.

4 Likes

Tunic has existed along side games like Below and Fez for me in this game of “mysterious games that have been on the horizon for years and will come out to mixed reactions”. Below also had this issue of coming out at a really bad time where no one was paying attention to it. But so far, Tunic seems to be getting rave reviews, even despite coming out right after some of the biggest games of the year, so that’s heartening to see! No idea when I’ll get to this game, but I hope I do soon.

1 Like

Of all the games to not be released on PlayStation or Switch, this is the one that hurts the hardest.

I now pace my house at night, shouting “Gabe, where is my Steamlink!!??”

2 Likes