Ubisoft - E3 2019 Official Thread

Banner by @video_gh0st

Welcome to the Waypoint Forum’s discussion of E3 2019. This is the official thread for talk about the Ubisoft press conference and the games discussed and announced during that press conference. It can also contain discussion of further coverage of those games or companies that appears in later days. We want to contain overlap and multiple threads so please contain all discussion of Ubisoft to this thread.
Thank you.

Link to conference stream: Twitch || Mixer

1 Like

The all-seeing eye of Jason Schreier suggested that there won’t be a new Splinter Cell this year, which is deeply disappointing. I miss Ubisoft’s “One More Thing” announcements.

Beyond that, they have their live services (The Division 2, Rainbow Six: Siege, For Honor, The Crew 2, Trials Rising), and two forthcoming titles in Ghost Recon and Watch Dogs: Legion (assuming the delay of Skull and Bones is going to push it out of the show this year and BG&E2 already confirmed to not be here).

That kind of seems like a light show by Ubisoft’s usual standards. What am I missing?

No chance of them showing their new Viking themed AC, is there?

Maybe a teaser.

God, I hope so though.

1 Like

My prediction is that they’ll show several games that look like they’ll probably be pretty fun but this forum will cynically dunk on most of them.

3 Likes

I really hope so too. I’ve really enjoyed the last two AC games!

2 Likes

I’m going to go with a definitive maybe on that one. If it’s 1. a substantial departure from the previous two (like Origins was from Syndicate) and 2. ready, then I could totally see it at the end of the conference. If I’m a game publisher nowadays, though, I don’t show anything unless it’s basically ready to go.

If they keep going with the selectable protagonist thing from Odyssey I am going to be 100% on-board for Cool Viking Times. Let me be an imposing Viking lady in some kind of elaborate valkyrie armor, Ubisoft.

3 Likes

Hellblade but AC!!!1111

They have said that all their games going forward are going to be a Male/Female gender selection process.

Plus Vikings had rad ass Shield Maidens!

Edit - lol, you gotta ‘love’ how Historians write out women in history:

There are few historic attestations that Viking Age women took part in warfare, but the Byzantine historian John Skylitzes records that women fought in battle when Sviatoslav I of Kiev attacked the Byzantines in Bulgaria in 971.[5] When the Varangians (not to be confused with the Byzantine Varangian Guard) had suffered a devastating defeat in the Siege of Dorostolon, the victors were stunned at discovering armed women among the fallen warriors.

“There weren’t women in combat, but there are these strange historical accounts from people in the era talking about women fighting in the field! How wacky!”

4 Likes

Seconded. Odyssey is a good game and Kassandra is one of my favorite protagonists in a while.

2 Likes

I have issues with Odyssey, but none of them have to do with Kassandra. Melissanthi Mahut put the exact amount of sass into that role to make it sing. I’m actually a little concerned that Odyssey’s sprawling RPG structure without a character as strong as Kassandra to drive it would collapse under its own weight.

Also the Birka Viking Warrior grave, which had people up in a tizzy because all the evidence points to the individual being female:

The Oseberg Ship Burial was also of two women, though their grave goods don’t necessarily indicate warrior status. The current theory is the older woman (possibly as old as 80) was a Queen:

2 Likes

Want to see more of that pirate thing. Ubi’s best stuff these days are the multiplayer games like Siege and For Honor, so “That, but with AC4’s ship combat set during the Golden Age of Piracy” is 100000000000000000000% my shit

1 Like

Remind me of,

“Historians found the quote, ‘I loved his huge **** and I love this man.’ Evidence of the strong friendship between the figures.”

2 Likes

Skull and Bones sadly got delayed into oblivion (until after March 2021, I think). I think it was Patrick who speculated that it’s going to be getting a For Honor-style single-player mode (i.e. an extended multiplayer tutorial).

Ugh, this reminds of the last time I made the mistake of going on a forum for a game; it was Tyranny, and there was a contingent of far-right fuckfaces there mad that the game had female characters in high-ranking positions in the military. I shit you not. I made the mistake of trying to debate with them and had to Quit the Internet for a while because it was so gross.

All this fascist gender-essentialist bullshit makes me so fucking tired.

4 Likes

She is SO GOOD and Melissanthi Mahut gives such a phenomenal performance - at any given moment she is giving exactly the right amount of sass, humor, warmth, raw power, anger, or flirtatiousness. It’s a freaking tour de force vocal performance.

3 Likes

You should see how angry far-right fucks in the UK got when a BBC historical cartoon series showed a black Roman soldier - despite the literary and archaeological evidence attesting to the presence of Africans in Roman Britain.

3 Likes