Ubisoft @ E3 2021

I figured I’d post a thread for people to talk about Ubisoft’s Forward event going on right now and whatever Ubisoft E3 2021 stuff folks want to chat about, but mostly I wanted a chance to link this masterful banner from the Giant Bomb community.

2 Likes

Question: I don’t play Tom Clancy games because the politics are rancid, so I don’t know what Rainbow Six’s deal is but… has it… always been a sci-fi/horror thing?

I don’t remember Rainbow Six ever having a sci-fi/horror bent to it. Ghost Recon has certainly dabbled in the near-future realm before, but Rainbow Six was (at least for a long time) a very solidly grounded game.

2 Likes

Give me my Assassin’s Creed western set during the Mexican Revolution, you COWARDS

Also Riders Republic looks really fun

Also also, could the Far Cry devs please just calm down? And Giancarlo’s performance seems… Not Good, gotta say

3 Likes

They did an event awhile back that was in the same vein as Outbreak to kind of test the water and it was fun. Basically L4D but with Rainbow Six mechanics. Plot was not interesting but if you are wanting L4D but with solid gunplay then it’s fun. Of the L4D like games which all seem to be coming out at the same time (or at the very least announced) it’s the one I think I would rather play just because I know it feels good and I’m sure it will get supported for a long time given Siege’s history. So as someone who did not care for Siege except the singleplayer mission things I’ll probably try it.

1 Like

We’re getting another Mario + Rabbids and also a cryptic Super Nintendo Switch (name pending) tease from one of the industry’s secret keepers

3 Likes

jake suuuuuuully

I completely forgot Ubisoft was making an Avatar game. I swear that got announced in like, 2010 and disappeared off the face of the planet like the sequels did.

4 Likes

And Giancarlo’s performance seems… Not Good, gotta say

He said in an interview that he doesn’t believe his character is a villain which is… weird.

I’m guessing we’re gonna see a trailer for the next one if the game is showing off now.

It’s so baffling the way they talk about Far Cry villains! They always chew the scenery, but they’ve never been truly charismatic or compelling. It’s like “UBISOFT WATCH JUST ONE EPISODE OF THE SOPRANOS CHALLENGE”

6 Likes

As long as Yves Guillemot is still in charge I am having a harder and harder time talking myself into playing Ubisoft’s games.

4 Likes

Leaving aside the conduct of Guillemot and other management (not that it isn’t absolutely worth talking about), there wasn’t a lot for me in this presser. R6 Extraction looks cool but I don’t have a regular co-op group right now and it feels like it’s a game that’s going to demand communication and I’m not really into that with pickup groups. Far Cry is a series I enjoy a lot, despite its problems, but after 5 I’m growing tired of it – though New Dawn or whatever the post-apoc one was called was much better than I expected. I’m still trying to finish AC Odyssey so more Valhalla content is something I won’t see for years. Et cetera, et cetera. Mario + Rabbids did look great! And it’s super surprising to see Avatar when I heard the delays to the movies were holding the game back! That’s all I got.

1 Like

Teeeeeeeeechnically, the first Rainbow Six was about stopping a bioengineered viral plague. So if you squint really hard, sure, why not alien(?) goo monsters or whatever.

2 Likes

He did this in an interview for The Boys, too. I think it’s just a thing he does to get invested. Actors are weird.

1 Like

Uhhhh

I haven’t watched Ubisoft’s thing yet, but I had a thought: I think Ubisoft is getting out of the video game business (in a conventional sense) and into the theme park business.

Why spend $150 million to make sequels every other year and maybe get your money back when you could spend $150 million plus another $50 million in additional content and sell people the equivalent of branded water bottles and ponchos? Add “new rides” in the form of periodic expansions or seasons (and charge for those too!) and suddenly you’re not making video games anymore, you’re running theme parks.

I have been thinking…

How the fuck do you make an Avatar sequel WORK in 2021???

People were already calling it out back when it came out for its lazy Dances with Wolves copycat plot, as well as all the problematic indigenous peoples representation. Awareness around that stuff has gotten much greater, especially after Standing Rock.

My thinking was that they need to introduce more aliens. Get all Mass Effect with it.

3 Likes

Rabbid Rosalina was the best part of the conference. Focus on her for twenty-five minute instead of dumbass military zombie shooters.

4 Likes

I like the idea of Riders Republic! I played a lot of Steep a few years ago, had a great time doing time trials with my friends and exploring the mountain. I prefer Steep’s calm austere vibe to RR’s Xtreme Energy, but I honestly thought Steep was dead and we’d never get the mythic Summer Steep so I’m down.

2 Likes