'Unavowed' is an Urban Fantasy That Gives Me Hope for the Genre

Postscript is Cameron Kunzelman's weekly column about endings, apocalypses, deaths, bosses, and all sorts of other finalities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/xwbkyw/unavowed-urban-fantasy-adventure

I’ve been meaning to get into this thing. I’ve had similar issues with getting into a lot of urban fantasy as Cameron. The only city I spent any time in as a kid was one of 100,000 people named Roanoke and I felt like it was basically as impossibly large as New York and used to be baffled when people would come to it from the east, where there were plenty cities, rather than the west, where there are none, and say that it was boring and there was nothing to do there.

I can very much get into The City as it exists in something like Akira or FFVII, where it’s a mass of disorientating lights and structures built atop infrastructure so large and vast no one person could ever hope to map it all, but other than that I’ve always found urban fantasy difficult to get into.

Anyhow I liked this article. I’m interested if anyone knows of any critical readings of Shin Megami Tensei, as in the non-Persona ones, as urban fantasy texts. Nocturne especially.

Worth mentioning that Unavowed happened because Wadjet Eye’s head Dave Gilbert wanted to make a Dresden Files game but the rights holders weren’t interested and then he was like “then I’ll make my OWN urban fantasy game!” and ended up putting it in the same universe as The Shivah and the Blackwell series (one of the party members even has a very direct link to the events of that series).