Unity CEO Promises Employees Their Work Will Never Lead to ‘Loss of Life’

Unity CEO John Riccitiello opened a recent town hall meeting with employees by telling them he understood if they wanted to leave the company. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgx3ww/unity-ceo-promises-employees-their-work-will-never-lead-to-loss-of-life

My ‘Our work will never lead to loss of life’ T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

14 Likes

Unbelievable that anyone would think that the “totally genuine employee comments” provided by Unity provided some sort of defense of their position? And that "I don’t think we’d work with (CW: racist violence) the KKK thing? Man. Big “Let me pour some more gasoline on my house to help put out the fire I started” energy.

Just absolutely amazing work on this article.

1 Like

Yeah, those employee comments just screams “PR homunculi.” Anybody who uses the phrase “Warfighter” 3 times in one paragraph is either Not Real, being paid by the government, or really REALLY wishes they were being paid by the government.

1. What a great image at the top of the guy lol

2. How do you even begin to make that kind of promise when you know it’s false? I didn’t realize Unity was strictly screening everyone who picked up their software, the amount of misuse that probably happens already with it is uncountable. Y’all made an easy to use engine which means everyone is using it. You don’t think there isn’t a group out there using it for training for the purpose of hurting or killing people already???

2 Likes

That specific quote isn’t from an employee, but the quotes that are from employees are from people who specifically say they are pro-US military. Of course people who are pro-military are fine with their work being used by the military, this isn’t an ethical dilemma for them.

2 Likes

The Ballad of John Riccitiello continued in a darker direction than the original ending suggested.

4 Likes

More seriously, Riccitiello is clearly talking out of both sides of his mouth. If “not causing loss of life” is really a “core value” of the organization, then indirectly supporting the ending of a life (e.g. through vr training for soldiers) would qualify as that. If military contracts are really “less than 5 percent” of the business, it should be easy to cut out of the business model to avoid the appearance of even indirectly causing loss of life with their products.

“I don’t think we’d do anything for the Ku Klux Klan,” Riccitiello said. “They’ve got a simple mission that’s one that doesn’t align with who we are. It’s about the nature of the organization.”

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

It’s telling that all the employee comments that they made available on record were from Managers. Thank you Patrick for getting his slimeball comments on the record for everyone to see.

2 Likes

Fair enough, it just stood out to me as kind of a bad line to send when you’re trying to downplay how connected someone is to the military.

1 Like