Unlike Many Games, Modern Mario Games Are a Delight to 100% Complete

I'm not a completionist. While the nature of my job means I'm quickly moving from one game to the next, it wasn't true before writing about games became my career, either. I dabbled in nabbing achievements and trophies when they first showed up, and may have been guilty of buying a cheap game or two whose achievement lists were easy to check off, but the appeal waned. It's different when it comes to Mario games, though, especially the more recent ones. Starting with Super Mario 3D Land, I became enthralled with hitting 100%. I have the fever.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/kz3bdz/unlike-many-games-modern-mario-games-are-a-delight-to-100-complete

I remember listening to that top 10 discussion, good on you for keeping Papers Please on there.

I was so hooked on the gameplay and craziness of Tokyo Jungle that I got all the trophies, that’s the most recent one where I felt the urge to 100%. There were two climaxes: beating the game as robo dog and freeing animal kind from the time travelers, and surviving long enough in the game that neanderthal humans started chasing you around like hairy post power pellet pac men.

I’ll typically 100% a game if a) I really love it and b) I’m somewhere close to 100% when I beat it. When you start informing how you play a game based off a achievements/trophies thats when the experience gets messy.

100%ing a game is such an interesting concept to me because it either involves actual in-game objects, or just going through and getting the gamerscore or trophies. There’s also so few games where it actually feels rewarding to finish a game in this sense. Life is Strange is one of my favorite games ever, but I definitely did not 100% it and go through for all the pictures. But on the other hand, there is Heat Signature, which I recently 100%ed, which used the achievements and liberation missions to make the gameplay feel fresh and force you into performing odd challenges.

Before this year, the last game I’d 100%ed was Majora’s Mask 3D in 2015, and before that it was probably Mario Galaxy 2 back in 2011, which also had an incredible final level that unlocked once you collected everything. That’s twice in a 7-ish year span, so It wasn’t really a thing I did very often.

That said, this summer I sunk 50 hours into 100%ing Hollow Knight because that game was just so enthralling that I couldn’t let it go until I’d found everything it had to offer. And last month I 100%ed Samus Returns, which made me think that I might actually enjoy 100%ing Metroidvanias because the things you collect in such games tend to tangibly strengthen or improve your character, which makes it feel a lot more rewarding.

So while I definitely have to be in love with the game’s mechanics and aesthetic (from that standpoint, Hollow Knight in particular is an all-time favorite), it also has to feel like there’s some kind of worthwhile reward for all that work.

I almost never finish games. I didn’t finish BOTW, I didn’t finish Horizon, I still haven’t even finished Sonic Mania. School and work and life get in the way and it’s hard to find time to play games before something new comes along that catches my attention.

Mario has changed this. I’m already almost done Mario though and I have plans to 100% it. It’s just so simple to get into but challenging to master. I could play it forever.

We were screaming at 3D platformers for having too many collectibles back then. Odyssey feels more like Donkey Kong 64 than it does Mario 64 on that aspect.

I remember Mario Sunshine being a nightmare to 100%. Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World were pretty fun though, aside from having to do every level 5 times.

I haven’t played Odyssey yet, but I imagine the key difference between Odyssey and DK64 is that the bulk of the collectibles aren’t mandatory to complete the game.

I’m very much not a completionist, and I expect the same will be true of Odyssey. There’s always at least one challenge type I do not enjoy at all, and in this game for me it’s the race challenges - I can’t imagine I’ll ever want to do every one (I have only tried one and I’m not that keen on going back to it).

But I definitely have come closer in this game to wanting to uncover every nook and cranny to most other games I’ve played. I have about 525 moons (about 30 of which were purchased because I was getting impatient for 500 and I had loads of coins) and I can see there are still plenty to go but I feel like I’ve got a good feel for all the zones now. It really is remarkable how rewarding it makes exploration,even hours in.

I was big into 100%-ing games when I played on my Xbox 360 because I really cared about gamerscore and achievements and I don’t regret some of the big games that I did 100%, like Halo 3, Dead Rising or Call of Duty 4 but it’s just not something I care about anymore.
I’ll do it for games that I’m really enjoying, like the two recent Tomb Raider games, both of which I did 100% because I love the gameplay and world so much that I just wanted to hang out more.
I wanted to 100% MGSV but I was just too heartbroken by the games lack of an ending to go on and fizzled out at about 89%

I do sometimes 100% games. It depends on the type of game, but I often find myself playing certain games these days for the numbing pleasure of a grind. I put on a podcast or video stream and just sort of tune out while playing through a game. This sort of play style does suit itself to 100%-ing certain games.

I will probably play through Mario Odyssey to 100% or close to 100%, but I am admittedly NOT playing that game like a grind game and I have been giving it my full attention. There is a very different sort of pleasure from Mario Odyssey that keeps me playing. And that game also very much hides its hardest challenges for the post-game.

There was a moment where I decided to return to older worlds before making more progress in the main story; I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to find all the purple coins in most of the smaller areas. With only a few exceptions the final 3 were in plain view and I hadn’t noticed.

The moons are a different story, however… thankfully there’s a hint system for that.