‘Unsafe and Just Plain Dirty’: Women Accuse Vice of ‘Toxic’ Sexual-Harassment Culture

Agreed, it’s a good start.

Thank you, the whole Waypoint team, and all the good people at Vice and their Union for being forward on this.

Waypoint is, in my opinion, the best in the business. If Vice were to retaliate against the Waypoint staff speaking out, they would be making a huge mistake. The power of Waypoint is the people on its staff, not the names “Waypoint” or “Vice”. If the Waypoint staff were to be forced out, I’m sure other sites would line up to snatch them all up.

Of course, I understand that this is easy for me to say, when it’s not my own job on the line. I hope this post is not breaking the rules. I guess my point is that I will support Waypoint staff, for what that is worth, whatever happens

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT.

Holy shit that’s bad.

I think the common denominator in all of these stories is that HR only exists to cover the company’s ass, not to help you

A lot of people are under the impression that HR is there to support you as an employee, which is exactly not what they’re there for and is in fact what unions are for.

Rare to feel like there’s good where you fear it’s lost (and there’s been a lot of recent reminders to test our cynicism daily). Super glad to see the Waypoint team stay strong and positive against scrutiny happening so close to home, and i hope sincere and significant improvements will come those who fight for them.

Was it weird to anyone else that Vice’s first statement in response was basically "Well, we have these two cool shows about drugs so ~shrug~ n o n t r a d i t i o n a l.

Anyways, hopefully Vice cleans house and the culture of harassment (don’t forget that racism and islamophobia, among others, is mentioned in the article) is uprooted.

Ashbrooke was vice president of human resources at Harvey Weinstein’s Miramax Films from 1991 to 2000, according to her LinkedIn page, a time when the now-disgraced producer was paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal settlements to squash allegations of sexual harassment and unwanted sexual contact by employees and actresses.

Mojica stepped down from his post in 2016, ostensibly to helm international news coverage on Vice’s HBO show. In 2017, he moved again, this time to the company’s feature documentary division.

The lateral moves of top brass also extended to Vice’s women’s site, Broadly. That same year, Broadly founder Tracie Egan Morrissey stepped down from her role as editor in chief after her employees orchestrated a kind of coup […]

It’s kind of fucking horrid how people like this, people who are willing to enable via inaction or just straight up abuse their employees, tend to just get shifted around. It’s a shitty and irresponsible move by Vice to keep kicking the can down the road because these people have “talent” that they’d rather not replace. It feels like they think if they move abusers far enough away from their victims that things will magically get better, as if shifting someone to a new group but allowing them to keep the same amount of sway will somehow make the offenders feel like their actions have consequences.

Kinda off topic, but in regards to this and other events I’m very uncomfortable with the speculation of what the staff or others in games journalism are going to say or what we want them to say/do and the like. I understand the reason people like Waypoint is because of the people that work there, but that’s the thing, they’re people, not machines that output Woke Thoughts in the face of upsetting events. I find myself at a loss of what to say sometimes when I find out about something I’m not even involved in, I imagine that’s the case for many people. And yes, I often think to myself “I wonder if [person I admire] is going to say something about this.” but I keep those thoughts private. Once people start talking about it on forums or twitter and whatnot and we’re combing through someone’s tweets to find the mention of something in a reply to someone else, and talking about it feels like gossiping about someone behind their back. That may be fine in some places, but I’d rather that not be here.

Frankly, many of us are not directly involved in these events either. We are on the outside looking in. And having myself lost a friend over something similar, it fucking sucks. I didn’t know what to say initially and it took me a while to figure out how to talk about it eloquently. But you know what would have made it worse? Strangers speculating on what I was or wasn’t going to say or getting mad that I wasn’t saying anything soon enough. And I get when you’re a public figure you need to grow a thick skin for this sort of criticism, but like, I feel like we need some empathy considering some of the recent events that have hit some people close to home.

I don’t know, I’d honestly wish rule 10 was enforced a bit stricter. Some of the responses in a couple of these threads, while well intentioned, have felt sort of invasive or mildly unempathetic. Let me know if I’m out of line thinking this way.

Male dominated power structures – be they religious, sports, politics, business, entertainment, and so on – have these problems. The Mods understand your anger on this subject (we are feeling it too), but please take care to phrase comments and comparisons in ways that don’t open themselves up to being triggering to victims of abuse.

If you’ve been making these points every time Waypoint has talked about harassment and both corporations’ and individuals’ responses to it in the past, every time someone’s behaviour has been described as ‘shitty’ on the podcast, and when the Waypoint team have talked about specific people’s bad behaviour by name, then this might be a sustainable view.

But if not, this sounds a lot like a double standard - it’s either right to talk about these things, or it’s not. It isn’t reasonable to suggest that we talk about them when they happen to other people, but not when they involve ‘our’ people.

I’m pretty confident the Waypoint team will handle this just fine, and Danika’s post up the thread seems like a perfectly good place to be this early on, but let’s not treat this any differently to how we would if it were happening elsewhere.

@ewan

The difficulties of navigating through some of the content is constantly being presented with many of threads of this nature. These are very hard conversations to have and ones that need to be discussed regardless of whom they are directed.

@Glorgu

You are absolutely not out of line in thinking that Rule 10 should be enforced more than it should be. The speculation early on in the thread made many moderators feel uncomfortable that it went on as long as it did, but felt that a comment from Waypoint staff was to first be established.

We want to encourage our users to be mindful of their own speculation as well as help the community by keeping each other in check with flags on posts that might borderline or grossly cross into direct violation of any of the rules that are established here.

Please contact us through DM if you have any other concerns.

That Non-Traditional Workplace Agreement is… awkward and coercive.

The fact that they have a document in place that essentially forces anyone who wants to work for them to promise not to be offended by anything VICE ever shows them is a pretty bad look. It’s also 100% horseshit to try and cite this as a card you can pull out when your management gets caught harassing their employees.

The agreement speaks about content and field assignments. It’s not the Get Out of Jail free card these abusers are trying to make it out to be to cover their own asses.

Barstool Sports has one of these as well, and it’s pretty bad, signing away a right to find “nudity, sexual scenarios, racial epithets, suggestive gestures, profanity and references to stereotypes” objectionable or offensive, among others.

Is this a thing with new media outlets? I’m starting to wonder how widespread agreements like this are.

100% agree. I don’t have any legal knowledge, but hopefully these don’t actually hold up as a means of silencing allegations.

I hope having a union in place helps.

And I have a lot of sympathy for folks who are bound by NDAs. I’ve had to sign a few and the amount of firepower that can be brought to bear on you as an individual in the event of a breach is incredibly intimidating. Billion dollar companies can drop an entire law firm on you.

Kinda a counterpoint to @Glorgu, but not really.

Let’s not sell Waypointers short either. You don’t need to speculate, @Danika’s comment shows everything that you need to see about their (and Vice Union’s) position for now.

Due to the formal statement put out by the Waypoint team, we felt it was in the best interest of the forums to re-direct the conversation about the situation at Vice to the new thread. We feel this statement answers a lot of questions that were posed in this thread and hope that people’s worries are assuaged. We’d like to reassert the importance of adhering to the forum’s rules about speculation, now that the team has made their position and commitments clear.

Thank you!