Unsung Anime OPs (or ED)

I originally was going to create a topic about favorite anime OPs and EDs. I have many! I love the OP for Ping Pong, Escaflowne, Rakugo S2 and many more. Then I hough of another, which isn’t a favorite per se, but I really like quite a bit, but is probably not very well known.

The second OP for the Hunter X Hunter series in 1999 perfectly captures the mood of the arc which it portrays, but the 1999 series is less well known and less watched than its 2011 counterpart.
I originally was going to create a topic about favorite anime OPs and EDs. I have many! I love the OP for Ping Pong, Escaflowne, Rakugo S2 and many more. Then I hough of another, which isn’t a favorite per se, but I really like quite a bit, but is probably not very well known.

The second OP for the Hunter X Hunter series in 1999 perfectly captures the mood of the arc which it portrays, but the 1999 series is less well known and less watched than its 2011 counterpart.

What do you think is a good little known OP (or ED)?

The OP for Rakugo S2 is one of my favourite songs, anime OP/ED or otherwise.

One of the unsung ones for me, I think, is the ED for Sakamichi no Apollon. The series could use more discussion as a whole, in my opinion, but the music for it is lovely on its own.

If we were talking songs in general, Sakamichi no Apollon’s medley would surely be one of my tops.

I like Baccano’s OP a whole bunch, and it’s almost impossible to find its album online which is a shame.

Tsuritama’s OP, called Tsurezure Monochrome, feels super sweet, matching perfectly the vibe of that anime. It’s not on Youtube though ;~

I’m gonna go for a deep cut. One so deep I have to link dailymotion.

Hanamaru Kindergarten is a show most people probably skipped and that’s not that surprising, but GAINAX really poured their heart out into it, making a completely new ED with a new song every episode for a total of 12 EDs. Here’s a couple that I find worth pointing out.

And here’s a really good song, and decently cool ED, that was attached to an absolutely awful, unsalvageable anime.

I will never not yell about how good the Penguindrum and Yurikuma OPs are.

The opening to Zillion is most of the reason I convinced my best friend to start watching that thing with me. So if that doesn’t deserve a mention I don’t know what will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zdonhQSEk

What’s up, y’all. I’m that guy that won’t shut up about Nichijou.

Here’s Nichijou.

I also think that Danganronpa 3: Side Despair’s OP is its only redeeming quality, with the xylophone playing and the pastel tone to the video

@ophiucha THE HORNS TEAR ME TO PIECES EVERY SINGLE TIME, this song gives me so much life.

@pedroteixeira Tsurezure Monochrome gets me so fired up and it’s such a fun song to put on when you’re just starting off on a road trip! Similarly, the ED for Tsuritama, Sora Mo Toberu Hazu by Sayonara Ponytail legit makes me tear up out of sentimentality every time I hear it.

I think I just really, really like fish, and you can’t just give fish eyelashes like that.

I’m gonna throw out the OP to an old show that isn’t very good: Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, the TV series that came after the amazing original OVA. The OP however, Kiseki no Umi, was written/produced by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell SAC) and performed by Maaya Sakamoto, and is one of the most angelic, sweeping, and fantastical audio/visual experiences I’ve ever seen.

Whenever I think of fantasy, my mind always comes back to this song.

To close on a true slapper, lately I’ve been so fixated on the OP to Michiko & Hatchin (a wonderful show by Yuri on ICE director, Sayo Yamamoto), “Paraiso” by Soil & “Pimp” Sessions

This song throws so fucking hard, and stylistically familiarizes you with the tone of the whole show right out of the gate, which I can’t recommend enough.

I’ve always been into the Kyousougiga OP.

Oh, and the Rakugo S1 OP is probably my favorite of all time.
Loving everything posted thus far.

Aw, I had forgotten about Tsuritama’s ED. God, that anime is so sweet.

edit: everyone should watch this Yakitate Japan!! ending song:

You don’t get this groove in anime often.

edit 2:

I should clarify that Yakitate Japan!! is an anime about baking bread.

The first G Gundam opening is great for me. It’s so markedly different from previous Gundam openings. It’s more upbeat and action oriented, rather than have bizarre, moody visuals (which are fine, but definitely wouldn’t fit this series). It’s got a Gundam dragging another Gundam on laser ropes, as if that alone is enough to tell you “This is a completely different kind of Gundam.”

It’s a great tone setter and I wish it was left in when Toonami first aired it.

Fourteen years later I don’t listen to it as much as I should, but I never fail to get pumped by the ED theme to Air Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEG-_vJyvU

Michiko & Hatchin is such a great show, and that opening song is such a good jam.

I might like it more than History Maker.

Speaking of Sayo Yamamoto, and ‘unsung’ OPs (in a very literal way), I absolutely adore the OP for The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. It’s so stylish and kind of tense and sets the mood wonderfully. It also features a lot of nudity, so I’m going to link it instead of posting it directly.

I’ve been on a 70’s anime opening kick recently, so have some Devilman and Space Runaway Ideon.

And while I’m at it, I might as well include the first Shin Mazinger Z opening, because it’s just such a good jam.

Oh, just thought of a few more that really need to get out there.

First is the VOTOMS OP

The second is the OP of MD Geist

And finally, the OP of Level E, the comedy most people probably slept on based on the comedy manga by Togashi of Hunter x Hunter fame

Imma send a curve ball. While I’m not a huge fan of it, or its predecessor, the Baruto opening is lit.

It’s like the freshnessof persona 4 meets the fun of Shonen action.

God, hell yeah. Like Air Master still might have my favorite one-two punch of OP/ED bangers. Samurai Champloo is maybe the only show to come close imho.

I have no idea if it’s “unsung” or not but that’s not gonna stop me from posting the Mob Psycho 100 OP