Unsung Anime OPs (or ED)

The Eden of the East ED remains the best thing about that show and one of the coolest EDs I’ve ever seen:

It also can’t be overstated how much I adore the Land of the Lustrous OP from this season:

And then there’s the delightful chiptune cover of YMO’s “kimi ni mune kyun” from the Maria Holic ED

Though all that said, I’d be remiss not to mention Blood+ which has 4 OPs and 4 EDs and basically none that I don’t absolutely love

When the Fox X-Men cartoon from the 90s was localized for Japan it got a new intro. The second season got a new one too and both are pretty ridiculous-awesome even compared to the epic song/etc. of the original US intro.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou’s OP is absolutely perfect at setting the tone of the OVAs: You’re going to be watching the anime equivalent of walking around town to do some errands. And that’s okay. For folks who haven’t seen it before, think Nichijou, but focused on Nano with no slapstick.

The soundtrack in general is supremely good chillout music. Make some coffee, put on a nice comfy sweater, and relax.

Can’t talk about any SZS OP without including the visuals, they are consistently good.

http://openings.moe/?video=Opening1-ZanSayonaraZetsubouSensei

This is actually one of the most criminally catchy OPs out there. This show has long since fallen out of any conversation unless someone’s doing a special CLAMP viewing project.

Rolling Girls wasn’t a very interesting show, which was disappointing cause I loved some of the art style, but I was a big fan of the opening theme.

MKR is a fave for sure :+1:

It’s probably pretty well known but I have to post this OP from GTO. It’s so damn catchy.

I’m not sure what is actually well-known, but ones that get overlooked in my mind

Dai-Guard

Gatekeepers

Knight Hunters (Weiss Kreuz)

I don’t know how obscure .hack//Roots is, but the ending Bokoku Kakusei Catharsis is one of my favorites. The animation is really cool, too. I can’t find a video of it online, unfortunately. Similarly, the .hack//Sign opening Obsession is really weird and interesting, too.

Tough Boy is an all time banger

And I would be remiss in my patriotic duty as a Canadian if i didn’t include:

This thread is revived! So now I feel justified in posting some more good-ass OPs that I don’t hear about often!

The opening to A Woman Called Fujiko Mine is worth mentioning because of how low-key it is compared to everything else that comes out of the Lupin franchise.

I just finished watching The Tatami Galaxy last week and honestly it was one of those things that I finish and go: “where has this been all my life”. The opening, while probably not unsung, is fantastic and so thematically and stylistically tied to the plot that I can’t help but love it.

Although there is a version of the Tatami OP that a lot of people probably never saw. They changed it when the series got rebroadcasted.

The second OP for To Aru Majutsu No Index 2 is pretty good, especially since the first OP was basically just lots of dramatic walking and spliced scenes from the first arc, albeit with a bangin’ soundtrack. There’s much cooler editing in the second one and a nice colour grading going on.

Oh. oh. this is so good.

There is singing in most of these.

I really enjoy alot of the shows posted are from late 2000s to early 2010s. They’re shows that’s not considered recent anymore, just old enough where people kinda forgot about them.