Upcoming Board Games You're Anticipating

What board games are you looking forward to that aren’t out yet?

I’ll get the Eric Lang games out of the way first because both The Godfather: Corleone’s Empire and Rising Sun look astounding and are both probably day one buys for me. In both, the marriage of theme and mechanics looks so good and I’m looking forward to playing both.

The Hunt for the Ring looks like the LotR game I was looking for to play with my family. It’s not as daunting as some of the other ones and can play up to 5. Plus the John Howe art looks astounding and I’m sure it’ll have great design with The War of the Ring designers returning.

Also curious about The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31 and Evil Dead 2: The Board Game just because both seem to have the potential for interesting systems of done properly.

I’m usually a mechanics over theme person, but there just seem to be a lot of richly themed games coming out in the near future that I’m eager to play.

I generally don’t keep up on upcoming boardgames, as if I did, I’d own way too many. But a couple of games have caught my eye recently like Unearth, I mean, look at it:

I love board games as much for the game design as the artwork and physical feeling of a game, and Unearth just looks wonderful.

Likewise, one of these years I’m looking forward to getting my slacker backer order of catacombs and castles (with the 3rd edition reprint of catacombs)!

Wow, that is some gorgeous art, I’d buy it just for that. Kinda has a Monument Valley vibe to it.

For my part I don’t really have many games/ the funds to dedicate to/people to play with but I am excited about the upcoming Rogue One themed expansion to Star Wars Rebellion—a game that I do own but have never gotten a chance to play. Also I love Star Wars more than life so I’ll buy anything related to it.

In spite of it more or less being a reskin of Betrayal at House on the Hill, I’m very interested in the release of Betrayal at Baldur’s Gate - if nothing else, it is more scenarios for House on the Hill with a delicious D&D candy shell, and that’s good enough for me to get excited for.

I haven’t been paying close attention to board games recently as I’ve been consumed by grabbing a bunch of 5th Edition D&D stuff (I just got my hands on Tales from the Yawning Portal yesterday which I am excited to get into), but I am finally getting my copy of the Pathologic board game back from my friend soon and I’m eager to unleash that upon some more friends of mine.

A friend talked me in to purchasing a copy of the second printing of Gloomhaven.

The Thing boardgame is definitely up there for me, the whole conceit of the movie hasn’t been properly exploited as a game mechanic imho (I played the Xbox game it was…it was not great). At some point I’m gonna drop the necessary cash to pick up Mixtape Massacre, where you play as one of several obvious-but-not-copyright-troubling horror icons hunting your adolescent prey. They’ve got a Kickstarter right now for an expansion that adds the Grim Reaper to the game, too!