Valkyria Chronicles discussion thread

So I just played some of the VC4 demo and have come away impressed. VC1’s terrific art style is back, the battle system is as fun as ever, and the campaign menu is a book! Some things feel a little too samey, like Claude’s love of nature mirroring Welkin’s, but otherwise the game is sounding all the right notes to get me excited.

I ended up checking it out on my Switch and Xbox One X. While the Xbox version looked better on a 4K display, it wasn’t by much. The Switch version holds its own while docked, and it practically sings in handheld mode. No idea why, but the game feels like it was built for the Switch’s vibrant screen.

Has anyone else checked out the demo? What did you think?

On vacation right now without my Switch (not my smartest move) but am really looking forward to playing the demo and the full game–as soon as I finish Octopath…

This is a pretty sentiment and I have always thought that VC would tremendously benefit from a portable platform (sorry never owned a PSP). As always, for me, the biggest selling point of any game on the Switch is the handheld mode.

The portability aspect is huge IMO. I played VC2 on Vita, and while I enjoyed the experience, it was clearly handicapped by being made for the relatively weak PSP hardware. The Switch version of VC4 being a no-compromises VC experience is a revelation for me.

I like VC a lot but one issue I had is with the number of turns affecting your ranking, which really killed me. I tended to play slow, especially in the earlier levels, and I felt like that punished you a bit.

That said I tried 4 and am excited for it.

I skimmed through this thread and only saw one mention of Valkyria Revolution. I had to play that game for review and holy wow it was so bad it literally put me to sleep, causing me to drop my controller onto my foot. Theo nly instance I can think of where a videogame has caused me physical pain.

I feel like this is a recurring problem in the tactics genre as a whole, as you also see this issue in XCOM and Mario+Rabbids. While I get the impulse to encourage players to efficient play that forces understanding of mechanics, it does feel crummy to get a bad grade after a hard won skirmish. Perhaps the best way to approach this is to not grade you on the first attempt, instead giving you a set amount of rewards for completion, and then allowing for subsequent graded runs with additional rewards.

that would be cool, honestly. plus it gives you a reason to go back and try again.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine in any genre. Save that stuff for new game plus. While it’s nice patting myself on the back any time I get a good grade on my first try, it makes no sense to grade players the same way on a first run as you would their fifth, when they know exactly where the enemies are and how to counter them.

I liked the first VC game quite a bit, but only got through it save scumming like hell. I remember a lot of really unfair mid-mission events that could wipe you out if you didn’t know they were coming. And some missions could take hours.

Usually I avoid demos for RPG’s, but I’ll probably give this one a shot since you can carry over your progress to the full game.

I played through the Japanese demo earlier in the year and enjoyed it. They definitely made it feel like VC1 again, but it seems as though they’ve also iterated via the mission design to keep it from playing like the exact same game just with a new cast, which is good.

I’ll probably play through the English demo just to get my progress carried over. There was also something that piqued my interest a bit in the Japanese demo with regards to a character’s gender(?) so I’m interested in seeing the English translation. Was told by somebody not to look into it too much.

Just booted up the demo for VC4 and its literally band of brothers. I’m pretty sure this one girl is even in David Schwimmer’s role. really excited for it if thats the case. I really like the series’s approach to giving soldiers personalities and reasons for fighting and I’ve always wanted a game to take that approach and go even further in ways that remind me of band of brothers and its literally doing it.
I could imagine earlier games may have gotten inspiration from BoB but between Squad E (easy company) and the whole character coming out from the bush doing flash/thunder (which tbf isn’t exclusive to BoB given its from irl) it seems pretty likely. Hope to see more references and see how they handle the different characters and possibly go further into dealing with the realities of war. Doing something like Bastogne, Carentan, or Why We Fight would be super nice to see.

Also I heard they have a trans woman character and I’m really hoping they handle it well.
Tbh I expected them to go further into anime nonsense but so for I’m really getting hyped about it