Valve Is Creating Its Own Version of 'Dota Auto Chess,' a Mod of 'Dota 2'

Tuesday, Valve announced that it will create its own version of Dota Auto Chess, a hugely popular, player-made mod of Valve's team-based strategy game Dota 2. At the same time, the team that created Dota Auto Chess is working on its own, mobile version of Dota Auto Chess that will exist independently of the original Dota 2 mod.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3x7ba/valve-is-creating-its-own-version-of-dota-auto-chess-a-mod-of-dota-2

Fuck Valve but at the sane time the team behind Auto Chess blatantly stole assets from people and charged money to get access to them in their mod so they get a fuck you as well.

Hopefully at least Valve will have at minimum a workshop similar to their other games so some people get paid.

1 Like

The Valve playbook used to be to hire modders who made shit they liked. Are they just taking the easier route here on out?

honestly i’m surprised when they do anything involving the creation of a video game

3 Likes

Sounds like Valve made an offer for buyout or publishing and the modding team declined. Building a clone independently is plan B.

It looks to me like Drodo, the mod’s original developers, got the better end of the deal. They basically agreed to split the market: Valve can have Auto Chess on PC while Drodo owns it on mobile. But this kind of lite short-session strategy game is huge on phones, and the design of Auto Chess is already a great fit for the format.

1 Like

Speaking of mobile versions, has anyone else played Red Tides? Ben Pack played it on a Giant Bomb UPF last week (?) and I decided to check it out. I’ve been enjoying it a lot even if I haven’t played Auto Chess. It’s so easy to pick up and play and has that “just one more game” sort of flow. I assume the real Auto Chess is similar. I just wish the matches were shorter.