Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Announced

Yeah, that’s not looking good.

1 Like

To be fair, the company (companies) have been having problems for a while - I think the senior writer quit after the lead writer was fired, but so far in the past months, they’ve lost the Lead Writer (fired), Creative Director (fired), Paradox producer (fired), and now the senior writer quit (although we didn’t know that for a while). It’s a little confusing because they hyped the Lead Writer quite a bit in marketing videos, so not sure what happened there.

They’re hiring replacements, but it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. Regardless, still hoping its good, I’ve waited a long time for a sequel to this game!

So, uhm, Hardsuit Labs is no longer working on the project at all. Paradox is straight up replacing the team.

This also affects the development of Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines 2, where we communicated a delay during the third quarter of 2020. We have now chosen to postpone the release of the game further, and we will not be launching the game in 2021. We have also decided that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2, and we have started a collaboration with a new studio partner to finish work on the game. This has been a difficult decision, but we are convinced that it is the right way forward to do the game justice.

What, exactly, happened to first make lead creative directors get sacked or leave, then for the entire team to be replaced? Somewhere management seems to have screwed up royally. I feel sad for the developers who have gotten caught up in this mess.

3 Likes

I had big doubts that this game was going to be good, but I was still excited despite everything :frowning_face:
Now I don’t know what to expect besides a delay to 2023.

1 Like

Mismanagement and infighting between HSL and Paradox, is my guesstimate.

And that just about does it for whatever optimism I had had left for this game :slightly_frowning_face: That’s a damn shame. I really wanted this to be the smarter, more inclusive take on the World of Darkness that it appeared to be on first blush. Ah well.

4 Likes

Well, that’s…disappointing, but not necessarily unexpected, given the trajectory this project’s been on as of late. In a morbid way I’m kind of more interested in the inevitable post-mortem of this development cycle than I am in the game itself at this point. For the sake of everyone who’s had to work so hard on this, though, I do hope that they manage to turn it around.

Hardsuit is here in Seattle. I hope people caught in the middle of this land okay, it has to be rough on a mid-tier studio to lose a high profile project like this :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m wondering how much the game is actually done and how much is another studio coming in to mostly do bug fixes and polish. Or are they completely scrapping what HSL did?

1 Like

The post-mortem on this one will be interesting.

Almost every update since the initial reveal has given me less to be excited about. There are undoubtedly great developers at Hardsuit, or were before last year’s layoffs, but some of the higher ups come from the Zombie Studios days (who did a lot of games for the US Army), so I was wary of that. Some highs and lows with the writing team - though at least Avellone was cut. The gameplay footage we’ve seen was rough. And the delays started before Covid-19 hit, so it’s not just the pandemic that caused problems with their time management.

And now that it’s switching studios entirely - be that for basically remaking it or just trying to fix it - it kind of feels like we’re getting into a bit of a Duke Nukem Forever situation…

1 Like

From what I gather, more the former than the latter, and finishing whatever wasn’t.