Vegetarian Recipes etc

We’ll be giving this a go tonight, will have to update later post-dinner!

I have my public list of veg[etari]an recipes here. Some of them have meaty names but it’s usually easily substituted with fried tofu, cashews, or chickpeas.

I also really like Isa Chandra’s stuff (formerly The Post-Punk Kitchen) when I’m looking for something new.

Strongly agree, I’m eating some leftover Mujaddara for breakfast and it’s very good.

I recently discovered Avant-Garde Vegan. He has some pretty delicious-looking recipes (shared on Instagram and YouTube). I’d also take a look at Deliciously Ella.

that dish basically looks like a dal, which are fantastic and easy to make. my other go-to veg dish is aloo gobi, another phenomenal Indian dish which i learned how to cook properly when i was in culinary school

i don’t really wanna flood the thread with an entire recipe so here’s a real quick little pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/UTQkHHBF

I just… eat a lot of PBJ…

I make a spaghetti puttanesca that replaces the anchovy filets with spicy olive paste (you can find it usually next to the tubes-- not cans-- of tomato paste).

• cook 4-6 cloves or garlic in a little olive oil over medium low heat (don’t brown)
  • add a table spoon of the olive paste, cook for another minute or two
  • add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and one small can of diced tomatoes
  • add about 20 Sicilian oil cured olives, pitted and halved and about 3 tablespoons of capers and some cracked pepper
  • bring to a boil them immediately down to a simmer. Simmer for about a half hour.
  • meanwhile, cook a pound of spaghetti until almost but not quite done
  • remove spaghetti with tongs and put directly into sauce, raise heat of sauce and finish cooking pasta in the sauce
  • remove from heat, add some chopped fresh parsley (and I throw in some fresh basil to but that’s totally not traditional at all) and then finish with some good quality parmigiano reggiano
  • stir it all up quickly, put into warm bowls and serve immediately. Good with crusty bread and a light salad.

so i make a veggie oyakodon a lot for dinner at home as a quick n easy meal

make some rice in a rice cooker/on the stove/in the microwave

get 1-2 cups of a broth going in a deep pan (seaweed, soy sauce, sake, sugar - you can totally leave out any you dont have, or just use a veggie broth you have), simmer, add in some chopped onion while simmering, toss in some tofu, season with whatever you want, then add in beaten eggs and when those bad boys are cooked pour it all (broth included) over the rice and enjoy!!

My wife is vegan, and I tend to eat mostly vegetarian. We have collected some solid cook books that I really recommend for recipes. Basically, just cook any recipe by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. But here are the books that we have collected through the years.

Sorry about the glare. Heaviest rotation books are:
Isa Does It
Veganomicon
Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook
Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar

Isa Does It is particularly fantastic. So if you are looking to get a solid recipe book in the near future, definitely go with that.

I am not vegan but i have several vegam friends and when we cook together we cook vegan of course.
What i have learned from them is drinking cold brew coffee with almond milk coz it veeery refreshing (you can also use soya milk, but almond is better) and BAKED TOMATOES. These are my favourite dish ever (but for those who have patience):
1.Preheat the oven to 100ºC/210ºF
2.Halve the tomatoes and lay them cut side up in the baking tray. Sprinkle them with salt.
3.Slice the garlic finely, then put a couple of garlic slices onto the tray. Sparkle everything with olive oil.
Put in the oven for 4 hours until the tomatoes get soft and sticky.
Chop and scatter with herbs, top up with extra virgin olive oil and let them sit in the refigerator for about 2 weeks.

That’s not a typo is it? O_o

I really like puttanesca. This sounds great.

Here’s one that I can’t make anymore because of my son’s allergies, but it’s delicious and I miss it: chickpeas with star anise and dates.

edited because NYT doesn’t let you access a recipe link without a login. Link instead is to Google result – recipe is at the top of search.

Thanks for the aloo gobi recipe. I am excited to try it out!

My son usually doesn’t like my vegetarian dishes. The only one he happily eats is a green french lentil dish I found here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/basic-french-lentil-recipe.html

It’s great with a good crusty bread. He likes to spoon it right on top of the bread like an open sandwich. You can cheat and add bacon as your fat when you cook the onions/carrots/celery as well!

One of the best vegan/vegetarian restaurants in London is a place called Mildred’s. They’ve shared a couple of their recipes online including my all-time favourite Sri Lanken sweet potato curry.

I managed to make a real banger of a vegan lasagne recently, when I finally got a working recipe for vegan bechamel that works very well. Previous attempts fell completely flat, but this is solid:

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tbsp vegan butter
  • 4 tbsp plain flour Gluten free if needed
  • 500 ml / 2 cups dairy-free milk (I used soy)
  • 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Once melted, stir in the flour until the mixture thickens and looks like dough.
  2. Increase to a medium-high heat and slowly add in the milk a bit at a time, whisking to ensure there are no lumps.
  3. Once thick and smooth, remove from the heat and stir in the nutritional yeast, nutmeg, onion powder and salt and pepper.

Around this I just made a typical lasagne recipe using soy mince and it came out great.

i’ve recently been trying to reduce the amount of meat i eat. one day i’d like to be a vegetarian five or six days of the week. it’s been okay so far - eating a lot of salads, veggie burritos, pasta, hummus … but i definitely need some more exciting recipes. i’ll be watching this thread! :rofl:

Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is a great all-around reference guide.

One of my favorite recipes for potlucks or large dinner are these veggie buffalo wings made from seitan. I use this recipe as a base. Even my non-vegetarian friends enjoy them.

It is not a typo… The longer the tastier. You can even let them sit longer than 2 weeks. That’s why i wrote “for those who have patience”.

Does it not start rotting by that point, or is that where the flavour comes from?