Vegetarian Recipes etc

it is in oil and in the fridge - it won’t start rotting 100% guarantee.

The oil will have a garlic aroma. Next time i cook it, i will post a photo of these tomatoes here.:+1:

I’ve been vegan for about 10 years. I live in a region that has a lot of vegan restaurants, though I still tend to mostly cook for my partner and myself. I cook mostly Italian (I am Italian), but recently I’ve been cooking a lot of Japanese soups, and Indian or Thai curries. Here are some of my favorite general tips and life-changing ingredients:

• Follow Your Heart’s Vegan Egg - like it says on the tin. This is a coagulating starch made with black salt, which is high in sulfur, so it even SMELLS like eggs. It is ideal for baking (for some recipes, some find it better than a real egg), and can be scrambled, which is also good! TIP: When scrambling, make sure the pan is a little hotter than you think it should be. This stuff needs more time and heat to cook than eggs. And when washing the unused mixture off of your dishes, use COLD water. Heat makes it coagulate, which makes it harder to clean off.

• Miyoko’s Cultured Butter - Miyoko quietly published a vegan mozzarella recipe on her blog several years ago that changed the face of vegan cheese and ‘dairy’ products. It’s incredibly basic: take cashew milk, add a little bit of plain, unsweetened vegan yogurt or culture base, and let it ferment for a day. What you get is a base for cheese products that is closer than any carageenan soy whatever cheese products have ever come, and is simply made of cashew, salt, water, and some culture - just like real cheese! I’ve even made it myself once, it’s quite easy!

While other companies have pushed cultured vegan cheeses beyond her cheese wheels (which are good, though not all that useful) and mozzarella (which is also good, but other companies have figured out how to ‘firm’ it better to get that rubbery mozzarella bufala texture that really makes it), her cultured butter is to die for, and I use it to get richness in tons of dishes. A fantastic secret ingredient, and great just spread on toast.

(as for better cheeses: Parmela Creamery’s harder vegan cheeses are the best on the market, in my opinion, and their mozz is good too.)

• Beyond Meat Chicken Strips - Vegan meats are moving ahead pretty steadily, but as far as the chicken game goes, this is the pinnacle at the moment. It comes frozen, so when cooking it in a pan, I often microwave it for a few minutes first to thaw it. I like to take each piece and twist it apart so you get that “shredded” feel, which adds a lot. Highly recommended! Beyond Meat’s beef crumbles are fine, too (no beef crumbles really kick ass yet), and their Beyond Burger is extremely impressive, though applications for it are not as myriad as the chicken here and it’s a little expensive, so I don’t get them very often. I have these strips in my freezer at all times, though.

• Follow Your Heart Vegenaise - I fuckin love this shit. While startups are coming out with mayo products so similar that the egg industry literally wants them dead, Follow Your Heart’s Vegenaise is one of the oldest products in the vegan section at the grocery store, and is still my favorite. It has a creamy tang like Miracle Whip that I can’t get enough of, ten years on. Don’t fuckin @ me about Miracle Whip btw

• Whole Foods Unsweetened Almond Milk - I’ve tried em all, and this is just the best plant-based milk I’ve ever had. It has no sweetness whatsoever, which is important to me for everything from a bowl of cereal to cooking, and doesn’t taste thin/starchy the way almond milk often does. It has a note to it, kind of metallic I guess, that puts it closer to cow’s milk than any other plant-based milk I’ve tried - and you can get it in packs of two!

• salt - It’s super easy not to salt vegan cooking well enough. USE SALT. Don’t forget to taste before you serve! When in doubt, when it doesn’t yet taste as good as you hoped: ADD SALT

As for recipes, when I am looking for a vegan way to prepare a dish I want, I usually look the recipe on on www.thekitchn.com. It’s not a vegan resource - though there are vegan recipes there - but it shows me good ways to prepare the dish, and then I make modifications where I personally need to. For example, I used these Thai curry directions to incredible effect recently.

Want a simple, easy recipe to bring to a dinner that is just fucking JAMMED with flavor, without being ‘the vegan dish by the vegan’? A go-to recipe that I call upon isthis tomate frito preparation. I believe the recipe closes by saying you should serve it cold, but I always serve it hot over pasta, usually penne. It gets completely devoured, every time. Be sure you use good olive oil, as it plays a big role in the flavor! I use Bragg’s olive oil. Bragg’s is a great brand every vegan should know, btw.

One of my favorite fridge-clearing recipes, which my partner and I call “dirty rice”, is as follows:

• a pack of Soyrizo or an imitator (the imitators are sometimes even better, honestly)
  • 2 or 3 cups of prepared rice, any kind
  • an onion, sliced
  • a tablespoon of garlic, diced
  • mushrooms, leafy greens, any veg you’d enjoy in a rice dish
  • Old Bay seasoning (found at any grocery store, very common stuff)
  • butter (I like this dish pretty greasy, so I use a lot, probably 3 tablespoons. This is one where I’d use Miyoko’s cultured butter)
  • bonus ingredient: vegan cheddar cheese (Parmela Creamery cheddar is perf)

In an oiled iron skillet on med-high, add the soyrizo, as much as you like (I use half a package). When the bottom is crispy, stir and flip, push to the side, make sure there’s enough oil on the pan, and add the onions and garlic (I know everyone adds garlic first, but I always add onion first because it’s much easier to burn garlic than onions IMO). Stir the onions and garlic continuously to keep from burning them.

When the onions are transparent, add half of the butter, then the mushrooms and any harder veg you have. Stir em up, let em soften, and when halfway there, add the rest of the butter and the rice. Mix it all up and top it with a bunch of Old Bay seasoning.

Keep mixing and, if you’re like me, you’ll want to add even more butter here, to your liking. You want to try crisping the bottom of the mix at this point, so let it sit, then mix n flip. When you look at it and go “oh hell yea”, ya done!

The whole mix should be a rough brick red. If it isn’t, it prolly needs more soyrizo. Serve it up, and add cheese shreds, and mix em in to melt. Takes about 20 minutes to make, and doesn’t require a lot of technical know-how.

Most of my vegetarian/vegan recipes are recipes I just liked in general that turned out to not have meat. I’ve got very few vegan recipes, mostly because I like dairy way too much.

When I was going to school, there was a sort of all purpose Asian salad bar across the street that had all sorts of delicious things from Chinese, Japanese, and Korean cuisine, or at least the bastardized version of them. Two of my favorite vegan options were inarizushi, and bibimbap. Both of them are incredibly easy to make, although inarizushi is more of a side than a full meal. Also, you need access to a decent Asian grocer to get aburaage.

Bibimbap is also incredibly versatile and easy to make. Most recipes have some meat and a raw egg yolk, but those are easy enough to swap out. Really the mixture of the soy and sweet chili spiced rice plus whatever vegetables you’re in the mood for is a great base to improvise on. I’ve even swapped the rice for quinoa for extra protein and it’s equally delicious. Really all you need is sweet chili paste, soy sauce or miso paste, short grain rice, and whatever veggies you want.

Pasta al limone is a great, easy dish, although I usually serve a meat plate to go along with it like some summer sausage for protein. Really great for summer meals, although it does need parmesan cheese and butter. You could swap the butter, but the parmesan is going to be difficult to get rid of.

Fresh zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic
1/2 pound spaghetti (you want something long to work with the sauce best, ziti and bigger noodles don’t work as well)
5 tbsp. butter
1/4 to 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan

Start boiling water for pasta, you’re going to want the pasta to be almost done and have everything else ready to go at the same time. Use just enough water to barely cover, you want the cooking water to be cloudy with starch when you’re done.

Zest the entire lemon, and save one small pinch for serving. Mince the clove of garlic finely.

In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat until it start to foam a little. Cut the heat to low, and add the zest and garlic. Stir for a minute or two until it’s nice and fragrant.

At this point, the pasta should be about a minute away from being done, and still slightly chewy. Take about 1 and a half cups of the pasta water out and set aside before draining.

Drain the pasta, and add it to the lemon butter mixture. Toss together until the pasta is glossy and well coated.

Add about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese to the warm pasta and toss to combine. Add about 1/2 cup of pasta water, and toss constantly to emulsify. It should start to create a sort of creamy sauce together. If it’s too runny, add a little cheese. If it’s too clumpy, add a little water until you get the right texture.

Squeeze about half of the lemon juice onto the pasta, then add more to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining zest and some fresh pepper to serve.

I’ve made lots of General Tso’s style tofu, which is also fairly easy albeit messy. You can make the entire thing vegan, although it does use honey so your vegan mileage may vary.

1 lb extra firm tofu, thoroughly drained (pro tip, you can drastically alter the texture of tofu by freezing it and thawing it before cooking, making it slightly more “meat like”)
1/2 cup corn starch
tsp salt
Vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp. unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp. sriracha
Dried, whole red chilies (I usually use arbol which is admittedly not authentic, but neither is the recipe so…)

Cut the tofu into large, bite sized chunks. In a big bowl, whisk together the salt and corn starch. Toss in the cubed tofu and coat evenly.

In a small container, combine the honey, soy, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and sriracha. Stir until combined.

In a wide pan, heat about 4-5 tbsp. of oil, and add the tofu. Keep pan frying until they are crispy and browned on all sides, then remove from the pan into a separate bowl. Add as many chilies as you’d like (usually about 4 for milder or up to 8 for lots of heat) and fry in the oil until slightly puffy. Drop the heat to medium and immediately re-add the tofu, and the sauce mixture. Stir constantly until thickened, and serve. If it’s not quite thick/sweet enough you can add more honey to taste.

I’m interested. I’ll wait to see those photos.

Vegetarian going on about 10 months now. Really loving all the recipes and ideas that people are sharing here.

One thing I love is finding good vegetarian or vegan version of comfort foods. This is my go-to recipe for vegan mac and cheese. http://veganyumminess.com/creamy-vegan-mac-and-cheese/

Though you can do as the recipe suggest and soak the cashews before blending them, I find using a high powered blender is really the only way to achieve that real creaminess from the sauce.

I’m at a very fine line between omnivore and vegan. I just don’t know how to replace the milk in my tea, and don’t have access to the oat milk I like.

Plus I randomly crave bacon and have zero qualms about eating wild game.

But cooking! I feel like if you can fry onions then you’re good to go. Recipes bore me - my cooking is more about playing with flavours and textures, and to hell with trying to make it again.

I got this Masoor Dal recipe straight off the back of a bag of lentils, but it is very good.
It’s delicious, not a lot of work, makes enough for several meals and all the ingredients are easy enough to find.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/masoor-dal/